What are you doing with homebrew today?

Hey atleast it's free.

If I time my brew day between 10am and 2pm I boil for free it feels good right!
Also started putting together my big rig, it's working, the brew shed just isn't water proof yet

IMG_20230912_141101043.jpg

This is how much acrospires come off just 2kg of buckwheat malt
20230919_182718.jpg

More than a handful there is reasoning that these contribute not very nice flavors to the beer hence why their sived out. I'm just going along with brewing tradition by removing these shoots part of me wants to brew a batch with no effort at all of removing them just to taste and see if there is any merit to this.

There is also some info I've read in the Gluten free brewing community that the acrospires contribute to free Amino nitrogen which the yeast need for cell growth.
Seeing GF grains such as rice and buckwheat are naturally lower in FAN than beautiful Barley maybe this is another reason not to bother removing them.

Hmmm ill have to dig into this :confused:...

View attachment 26677
More than a handful there is reasoning that these contribute not very nice flavors to the beer hence why their sived out. I'm just going along with brewing tradition by removing these shoots part of me wants to brew a batch with no effort at all of removing them just to taste and see if there is any merit to this.

There is also some info I've read in the Gluten free brewing community that the acrospires contribute to free Amino nitrogen which the yeast need for cell growth.
Seeing GF grains such as rice and buckwheat are naturally lower in FAN than beautiful Barley maybe this is another reason not to bother removing them.

You are certainly dedicated to brewing! Keep up the good work and informing us on how GF is done.

View attachment 26677

I heard they add an unpleasant bitterness. Not the hops kind. Make a spot of tea from them and see what you get?

I heard they add an unpleasant bitterness. Not the hops kind. Make a spot of tea from them and see what you get?
I've given some a chew quite nice and biscuity :confused:.

Honestly haven't thought about making a tea from some though might have to next time around.

I've given some a chew quite nice and biscuity :confused:.

Honestly haven't thought about making a tea from some though might have to next time around.
Well, just to gauge any bitterness or off-flavours. Chewing would be about the same, except for the little bits left between your teeth...

View attachment 26677

Mate,
Yer always good to learn a new word about all things brewers. Acrospire sounds like something NASA would use. But it’s just lowly vegetation. Whodathunkit.

Mate,
Yer always good to learn a new word about all things brewers. Acrospire sounds like something NASA would use. But it’s just lowly vegetation. Whodathunkit.
Glad to get the old grey matter twitching ;).

It's a good sounding word aye Acrospires almost as catchy as arcoprop them adjustable supporting steel props I see builders using after my little termite mates have had a wee chew on a building :p!

Back