What are you doing with homebrew today?

IMG_2751.jpeg
speaking of kettle I picked up a bigger 15g unit to use as a mash tun. This might boost efficiency and give plenty of room for 10g batches. I've pushed it a few times on the 10. Almost ready to go and wrapped up. New guy on the right . Old one in the center

Is your kettle set up for tri-clamp connectors or threaded bungs? Good looking kettle that.
Thanks. The outlet port has a barbed fitting for 3/8 hose, and there is another port that would accommodate a thermometer, or maybe a recirculating port. But I use it in a pretty basic configuration, relying on human power for whirlpooling. In any case, I really like my 5.5 gallon kettle and the worts it produces.

Thanks. The outlet port has a barbed fitting for 3/8 hose, and there is another port that would accommodate a thermometer, or maybe a recirculating port. But I use it in a pretty basic configuration, relying on human power for whirlpooling. In any case, I really like my 5.5 gallon kettle and the worts it produces.
If you don’t do anything else, I highly recommend upgrading to quick disconnect fittings for your hoses. No more splitting hoses, no more leaking connections no more forgotten connections They’re on, or they ain’t, no surprises. I was happy with barbs and clamps, but a lot happier with the QD’s. I have some for my garden hose, so cleanup is a breeze. Blow ‘em out with the hose, saturate with statsan, and hang to dry.

Just finished sterilising keg and bottles to transfer the Tinsel Toes Ruby Ale finished at 1.011. Colour has at least darkened a little bit from golden. I assume this is at least partly down to the hops. Think I have a good one here in both aroma and taste. Bit of a moreish feel to it. ABV: 4.07 before priming. About spot on for two or three at a sitting. I am going to prime with (Orange Blossom) honey again.

Then I'll treat some water for the Dubbel I will hopefully start tomorrow. That should be around 7.5% giving a nice choice over the festiviities.

I have received a reply to my recent email @ aldi(UK) reminding them of my suggestion of a homebrew section during the consultation for the new local store (now opened several months). It has now been forwarded to the relevant department. So they haven't literally said an outright no, well not yet anyway. Fingers crossed.

image.jpg
I just bottled a gallon of cider. The starting gravity was 1.056, and I added the remains of an old pack of cider yeast. After seeing no activity, I added the remains of an old pack of S-04, and again saw no activity. Then I added some leftover slurry from my Summer Saison, and that finally got things going. This is plenty dry, finishing at .997 for a hefty 7.8% abv. The sample exhibits some Farmhouse attributes.
There is a gallon of fresh pressed juice in the fridge from a local orchard that we visited last week, and that will be in the fermenter soon. This next batch will get new yeast from a fresh packet, either this or that -
image.jpg

G
View attachment 26895 I just bottled a gallon of cider. The starting gravity was 1.056, and I added the remains of an old pack of cider yeast. After seeing no activity, I added the remains of an old pack of S-04, and again saw no activity. Then I added some leftover slurry from my Summer Saison, and that finally got things going. This is plenty dry, finishing at .997 for a hefty 7.8% abv. The sample exhibits some Farmhouse attributes.
There is a gallon of fresh pressed juice in the fridge from a local orchard that we visited last week, and that will be in the fermenter soon. This next batch will get new yeast from a fresh packet, either this or that -
View attachment 26896
Good luck looks like three yeasts finally got the job done:).

Ever tried some yeast nutrient the apple juice would be low in nutrients for happy fermentation so a teaspoon of this would go along way I think that and some calcium.

Milling grains for Q4

One thing that I haven't shown you guys is how static this grain behaves as i mill it!

It creates alot of static as you can see
20231014_130915.jpg

More so than the barley I used to crush
Super fine second pass
20231014_131013.jpg

As you can see alot just sticks to the edge I gotta brush it off.

This has been great for removing acrospires but milling it's messy
20231014_131221.jpg

Alright that's flour almost gunna go doe this in at 100c :eek::p no rice hulls needed either boys and girls just alot of HBing hours at the kettle o_O...

Going to bottle up the first of two feral hop beers I'm experimenting with this morning. Also put in a grain order, decided to pony up the cash to try a couple "premium" substitutions with lager season getting closer. Ordered some Weyermann malts for the first time, 55 pound sack of Bohemian Pilsner, 5 pounds each of CaraBohemian and CaraMunich II. Going to use them in the Bo Pils I'm brewing next and follow it up with a run of Shady Bohemian.

Finished my stir plate rebuild and testing different potential starter jars just to see what I can get the bar spinning in:p
20231015_112119.jpg

Yeah I got some free time lol

All these work.

I'll stick with the erlynmyre flask for ease of use but cool I can still use a jam jar if I want lol

Racked that Q4 into kegmenter this morning and put two pet bottles to work with the extra wort for wild yeast beers
20231015_080318.jpg

G

Good luck looks like three yeasts finally got the job done:).

Ever tried some yeast nutrient the apple juice would be low in nutrients for happy fermentation so a teaspoon of this would go along way I think that and some calcium.
I have a package of yeast nutrient, unopened for a few years, maybe it will find its way into a cider batch.

It just smells err you know like a urinal like fertiliser I find sorta like Urea but not as strong.

Makes me question adding it lol

I'm guessing that smell is the Nitrogen and phosphates...

Back