What are you doing with homebrew today?

image.jpg
Inside that fleece burrito, my kettle holds the mash of the second batch of Summer Saison. The green pad is a repurposed backpacking sleeping pad, which provides insulation and floor protection. The outer layer is a fleece pullover that my late father in law bought for himself at Yosemite, and I later inherited. Under that fleece is a fleece blanket that is strapped tight to the kettle. It certainly is not pretty, but it is my system that works.

View attachment 26464 Inside that fleece burrito, my kettle holds the mash of the second batch of Summer Saison. The green pad is a repurposed backpacking sleeping pad, which provides insulation and floor protection. The outer layer is a fleece pullover that my late father in law bought for himself at Yosemite, and I later inherited. Under that fleece is a fleece blanket that is strapped tight to the kettle. It certainly is not pretty, but it is my system that works.
Whatever gets the job done!

I take it you're not too worried about the cider krausen going through your spunding valve?
Nope not at all Roadie never had any issues like that especially on a cider the krausen will be almost non existent.

Now I haven't used any yeast like a kolsch or wheat bier yeast or even some of them English ale strains love to throw a high krausen.

I suppose if I did use them I might think about it but that's a 35 LT keg and I'm fermenting 22-23 lt worth of wort so there's a good couple of inches headspace.

Usually this ain't my gas side configuration usually it goes out through beer line into the liquid side of a keg then out into a bucket so if ever it happens I'll get a keg with some yeast in it:)

Here's a look at my spaghetti hose setup purging two kegs
20230815_124124.jpg

There's a gas to liquid jumper between them two kegs then out I to the jar...

Still at it cleaned recieving keg for todays brew and another two that kicked got the starter ripping then cleaned the keezer out since its nearly empty
20230910_161320.jpg

Cleaned out all my old yeast from keezer and got them ready for yeast captures tomorrow
20230910_161325.jpg

And tried last beer on tap
20230910_162313.jpg

Cleaned out all my old yeast from keezer and got them ready for yeast captures tomorrow

Somethin' I gotta do, and NOT looking forward to it. That horrible smell of yeast that's gone off will make anyone procrastinate doing that chore. It'll certainly make one re-evaluate repitch technique for any yeast that isn't going to be repitched the same day it's harvested. Last one I emptied smelled like a fart from a dead buffalo. The missus had a high speed come-apart when the smell came wafting out of the kitchen. It was BAD! The scary part is there wasn't but about a half liter, and I was washing it down with every bit of water I could get outta the kitchen faucet. That stuff will gag a maggot. Got about 2 liters I need to toss. Do you just sewer yours, or put it in your compost?

So today's agenda:

Clean out beer fridge.
Get rid of old yeast. (Probably need to sewer it because there may be some hop content. Don't wanna poison any doggies.)
Disassemble/clean the fermenter. It's clean as it gets after a brew comes out, but due for a deep cleaning.
Brew the SMaSH I intended to brew yesterday. Ordering license plates and a horrible football game got in the way yesterday.
Wash/sanitize 4 cases of bottles. (While I'm brewing). Easy enough with the FastWash doing 24 at a time.

The sequencing is optional. I'm thinking bottle washing while mashing, and fridge cleaning after I get the boil started. Coordinating the setup for all the tasks is the hardest part.

I think I'm gonna have to make a task list. Every time I do this, I think of more to do that doesn't cost anything, or very little at the most, and can't help but further reduce risks of contamination/infection. I'm guessing that's a natural progression with homebrewing?

Well, managed to get all the chores done yesterday except cleaning the beer fridge. Ran outta daylight and steam just in time for dinner.

Gonna try to get the beer fridge cleaned up today and get it leveled better to see if I get some stress off the doors. Might see if I can get new door gaskets for it, too. Got a bit of condensate forming around the freezer drawer and making a small puddle by the fridge.

Got a bunch of old computer hardware to get rid of as well so I can organize the garage closet for storing brewing supplies. If I'm gonna start buying grain and milling, I'm gonna need a good place to store it.

Somethin' I gotta do, and NOT looking forward to it. That horrible smell of yeast that's gone off will make anyone procrastinate doing that chore. It'll certainly make one re-evaluate repitch technique for any yeast that isn't going to be repitched the same day it's harvested. Last one I emptied smelled like a fart from a dead buffalo. The missus had a high speed come-apart when the smell came wafting out of the kitchen. It was BAD! The scary part is there wasn't but about a half liter, and I was washing it down with every bit of water I could get outta the kitchen faucet. That stuff will gag a maggot. Got about 2 liters I need to toss. Do you just sewer yours, or put it in your compost?

So today's agenda:

Clean out beer fridge.
Get rid of old yeast. (Probably need to sewer it because there may be some hop content. Don't wanna poison any doggies.)
Disassemble/clean the fermenter. It's clean as it gets after a brew comes out, but due for a deep cleaning.
Brew the SMaSH I intended to brew yesterday. Ordering license plates and a horrible football game got in the way yesterday.
Wash/sanitize 4 cases of bottles. (While I'm brewing). Easy enough with the FastWash doing 24 at a time.

The sequencing is optional. I'm thinking bottle washing while mashing, and fridge cleaning after I get the boil started. Coordinating the setup for all the tasks is the hardest part.

I think I'm gonna have to make a task list. Every time I do this, I think of more to do that doesn't cost anything, or very little at the most, and can't help but further reduce risks of contamination/infection. I'm guessing that's a natural progression with homebrewing?
Compost it!

Ladled them yeast captures after tak8ng out the fruit.
20230912_171030.jpg

Mulberrie has already gone a lovely red.

Then took a FG sample of my Aldi Cider using refractometer 4.3 brix 1.001
20230912_171849.jpg

So I shook my head and double checked with hydrometer 1.001 ish to naked eye
20230912_171824.jpg

Awesome I can trust this now!

Wow I spunded that Nova at 15psi at the end I didn't expect that low FG and NO SULPHUR compared to previous 34/70 apple Juice fermentations:D

Back