What are you drinking right now?

Nice! Would love to hear your take on that Maple Brown. Does the maple actually come through without tasting…um…artificial? If the maple really shines, I need to figure out how they did it!
The maple is not subtle and it unfortunately tastes pretty artificial. My guess is they used flavor syrup/extract.

I don't mind an artificial maple flavor (I made a maple lager with Mrs Butterworths once upon a time...) but the flavor is a little jarring with the bitterness of the beer. It's the worst beer in the pack, but I still drank all 3 :D

Bourbon Barrel Porter

20240909_172138.jpg

View attachment 30348
Smugglers Special (ESB) extract kit by Muntons from 2 litre bottle. ABV: 6% at two months. Dry hopped with combo of Goldings, Admiral & Amarillo. Oh man will do that again.
I never had a bunch of luck with the extract kits, but I didn't use that one either. The color on that thing looks wonderful, and I love that style. Curious as to the yeast. My attempt (which I want to do again too) used WLP002 (Fullers strain). That yeast finishes very high, and it would take a shitload of grain to get it 6% LOL. I think I did manage to get low 5s alcohol out of it starting at 1.060.

image.jpg
FYI, Josh, another Alabama label to try. Yellowhammer Brewing in Huntsvegas (Huntsville,AL) has several nice brews. They make an absolutely devine Red Lager (Rebellion) that makes me want to sit and drink every one I have on hand. Look for the label in Wally World and Publix. Only wish I knew what Kroger has. You’re not terribly far from Huntsville, so I’d like to think some YellowHammer stuff is available up your way.

I never had a bunch of luck with the extract kits, but I didn't use that one either. The color on that thing looks wonderful, and I love that style. Curious as to the yeast. My attempt (which I want to do again too) used WLP002 (Fullers strain). That yeast finishes very high, and it would take a shitload of grain to get it 6% LOL. I think I did manage to get low 5s alcohol out of it starting at 1.060.
Thanks although I only take a small portion of credit myself. I liked what Muntons wrote on this one, which, I am sadly informed is being discontinued:

"We craft, you brew."

Muntons and Ritchies I find very reliable and excellent quality even in their lower end/budget ranges. Other producers though can be hit and miss and I have had a few which I would put more down to poor quality than bad luck. This kit was one of the more expensive I found at reduced price. I am hoping to be able to get more idea of what grains are used when I progress to brewing from dry grain some point after my renovations. I am a slow learner but things do tend to stick with me over time. I have picked up some from dry hopping giving me a little more confidence with improved results following on. Still a fair way to go but not in any hurry.

Expected ABV for Smugglers was given as 5% for 23 litres. I reduced the water content to arrive at a batch size of 21L. Fill my bucket all the way and the inside of the lid and airlock too often get gunked up. Plus I like fuller bodied beers and this method is necessary for the cheaper kits that I tend to go for if brewing smaller batches or experimenting.

As for the yeast; noted the WLP002 for future reference. Firstly I poured the ingredients onto the sediment from a batch of Old Ale [ABV: 5%]. Secondly swapped out the unnamed packet of dried yeast supplied for a 6g sachet out of date Muntons Gold. I pitched at 21.5 degrees C, fermented at 20.5. Actual ABV was 5.78 rounded up to 6% after priming. OG 1.054 - FG 1.010.

Right now though I am having a glass of red wine.

Thanks although I only take a small portion of credit myself. I liked what Muntons wrote on this one, which, I am sadly informed is being discontinued:

"We craft, you brew."

Muntons and Ritchies I find very reliable and excellent quality even in their lower end/budget ranges. Other producers though can be hit and miss and I have had a few which I would put more down to poor quality than bad luck. This kit was one of the more expensive I found at reduced price. I am hoping to be able to get more idea of what grains are used when I progress to brewing from dry grain some point after my renovations. I am a slow learner but things do tend to stick with me over time. I have picked up some from dry hopping giving me a little more confidence with improved results following on. Still a fair way to go but not in any hurry.

Expected ABV for Smugglers was given as 5% for 23 litres. I reduced the water content to arrive at a batch size of 21L. Fill my bucket all the way and the inside of the lid and airlock too often get gunked up. Plus I like fuller bodied beers and this method is necessary for the cheaper kits that I tend to go for if brewing smaller batches or experimenting.

As for the yeast; noted the WLP002 for future reference. Firstly I poured the ingredients onto the sediment from a batch of Old Ale [ABV: 5%]. Secondly swapped out the unnamed packet of dried yeast supplied for a 6g sachet out of date Muntons Gold. I pitched at 21.5 degrees C, fermented at 20.5. Actual ABV was 5.78 rounded up to 6% after priming. OG 1.054 - FG 1.010.

Right now though I am having a glass of red wine.
I'm looking at my notes when I made mine just in case you want a starting point. I like simple, so this one isn't that complicated.
I used 84.3% Maris Otter
7.7% English Crystal (70SRM)
At the time I was bottling, so I used 3.8% White Wheat for head retention, although that is not to style.
Because the yeast is a horrible attenuator, I used 2.3% Brown Sugar just to help a little.
I played with 1.9% Victory Malt to try to get some more something, something out of it. I might skip that next time.
32IBU Fuggle @ 60
12IBU Kent Goldings @ (30 the hops are to balance out the malt from a low attenuating yeast)
WLP002 (The newer version of White Labs are double pitches which work perfectly for me).
From where my strike water was, it looked like I mashed close to 154.
Single infusion BIAB.

It's 86 (30 C at the moment as it's cooling down
Coming days 104 (40 oC)
Summer is on the way ;)
Keg kicked
Music coming from the village, hyena's are vocal and so are the lions (the latter 2 on the other side of the river, although an elephant decided to visit my garden 3 nights ago)
IMG_20240913_193816_802.jpg

Back