What are you drinking right now?

I'm not the biggest of sour fans. I will get a craving for a baby Gose here and there. Having said that, mango sounds interesting if the balance is there.
I did have a pineapple one at the Homebrew festival last year that was outstanding.

A shandy made for my bride.

20240805_141051.jpg

I'm not the biggest of sour fans. I will get a craving for a baby Gose here and there. Having said that, mango sounds interesting if the balance is there.
I did have a pineapple one at the Homebrew festival last year that was outstanding.
Me neither but this one was nicely balanced. It had a Berliner Weisse backbone and you could still taste the malt in the aftertaste once the sourness tamed down

Aptly named Imperfect Pale Ale. This is one of the beers I submitted for competition (judging starts Saturday). My timeline was rushed and I don't think I got a very clean fermentation. Still definitely drinkable, but I'm predicting some pretty average scores. The Baltic Porter is also a little off from normal. For some reason I decided to change yeast strains from the usual one. We'll see how they both end up scoring and I'll do better next time
20240807_190702.jpg

Aptly named Imperfect Pale Ale. This is one of the beers I submitted for competition (judging starts Saturday). My timeline was rushed and I don't think I got a very clean fermentation. Still definitely drinkable, but I'm predicting some pretty average scores. The Baltic Porter is also a little off from normal. For some reason I decided to change yeast strains from the usual one. We'll see how they both end up scoring and I'll do better next time
View attachment 30125
What did you change the Baltic yeast to? I haven't really done the big boy Porters. but for the more moderate ones WLP004 works quite well. I might do another oatmeal for my next beer. Kegging the Saison on Saturday so we shall see how much I like that one first.

What did you change the Baltic yeast to? I haven't really done the big boy Porters. but for the more moderate ones WLP004 works quite well. I might do another oatmeal for my next beer. Kegging the Saison on Saturday so we shall see how much I like that one first.
Usually 34/70. This time was Wyeast Bavarian Lager (I forgot the number). Baltic Porters have a bit of a misnomer in that they are usually fermented with bottom fermenting yeast, not ale yeast

View attachment 30125
Ya never know. What you might find to be’meh’ they may find to be’WOWSERS!’ Odd how different tastebuds in different folks yield completely conflicting results. Best of luck with the comp.

Chili's in the slow cooker, corn bread on deck to go in the oven. A hopefully mellow tropical storm rolling through outside. I'm ready for fall.

I use my mom's chili recipe which is beanless. I've heard some folks say that traditional chili should be without beans, but I grew up on canned chili with beans so that's also normal for me. What do y'all think, are beans an essential ingredient for it to be called chili? What do you call it if it doesn't include beans?

20240808_182742.jpg

Beans? I can’t get past an Oktoberfest in the middle of Summer. ;)

Though I’m sure it‘s good.
I was disappointed there were only 2 options at the grocery store!! :D the local craft festbiers will be loaded in soon. Our distributor picked up our marzen kegs and cans last week. Fun industry tidbit: most Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers are presold to bars and grocery stores by the end of July

Back