What are you drinking right now?

For what it is, All Day isn't half bad. Especially, if you get it at a bar with really good draught lines. I had my issues with Racer, but I loved the town and the brewery when I was in Healdsburg a few years ago.
Not had it on draft. Not sure if I’ve ever seen founders on tap in my neck of the woods

Down here, Millers Ale House does have it on tap.
Also, we have stupid beer laws where a distributor has to be involved. But, that usually means somebody is cleaning the taps a regular basis. My wife gives me a hard time because I can taste when the bars don't clean the lines. I went to a place a couple of weeks ago and told them the beer tasted very fresh. I found out one of the beers I had was right from the tank and the other was kegged that week. So. I might actually have a palate.

Last edited:
I used to love a Dark and Stormy, but the big boys like Gosslings make a sugar bomb mix for Ginger Beer. There is a restaurant/bar across the street from the beach in the Melbourne area that used to have a wonderful ginger beer that they would mix with their dark rum, but I always forgot to ask the brand.
Dark N stormy now that's delishous!

First time at this taproot.
20221112_144952.jpg

Traditional root beer contained sassafras, but that additive has been banned since the '70s by the FDA, due to the carcinogenic properties of safrole, its main constituent.

Original sarsaparilla was derived from a tropical plant that also contained safrole, but modern day sarsaparilla is made from birch oil.
Funny, but the 70's is when I learned that it was used. My step-father's dad told me about gathering the roots to brew up so they'd have something besides water to drink. Back in the day, there wasn't much stuff like that if you didn't make it yourself, especially since they were so poor they couldn't even pay attention. Smells good when ya cut it down. The leaves smell lemony when you crush green ones in your hands. It's what we used to do to get fish smell off our hands after dressing a bunch of 'em. Had a couple pretty good sized trees on the fence line behind our house. My stepfather's dad used the names rootbeer and sarsaparilla interchangeably, and I'm guessing it's because of exactly what you reference, the safrole. It may also be a geographical thing, like the PNW calling everything sweet and carbonated a 'pop' and the Southeast calling the same a 'coke', and if memory serves the mid-west calls the very same things 'soda'. Sarsaparilla sounds a bit more elegant than root beer, not to mention, there wasn't really any 'beer' in it at all.

Back