What are you doing with homebrew today?

Sweet Pear Cider still only at 1.022 day 6 yesterday with airlock quiet. Airlock been bubbling fast today - this kit came with an 'Add Back' flavour sachet. First time I used one of those right at the end prior to bottling as per instructions. Next one I preferred the results adding earlier so continuing experimenting in that direction a bit like dry hopping. Very interested to see what the SG reading and attenuation is going to be tomorrow.

Edited to add: This brew has galloped through to .997 and hasn't finished yet! ABV is going to be over 8% after priming.

Last edited:
I'm thanking Sweet Baby Gambrinus that I didn't have a mess to clean up in the brewery...that's what I'm doing!
20230610_131517.jpg

It took 5 years but I finally had a bottle bomb in my Belgium Mild. Between the cardboard case box and 6 packs I couldn't find any sign of beer leakage, the boxes must have absorbed it all!

I'm thanking Sweet Baby Gambrinus that I didn't have a mess to clean up in the brewery...that's what I'm doing!
View attachment 25672
It took 5 years but I finally had a bottle bomb in my Belgium Mild. Between the cardboard case box and 6 packs I couldn't find any sign of beer leakage, the boxes must have absorbed it all!

If you're going to have a bottle-bomb. That's the way to do it!

View attachment 25672
Took me a minute to see one bottle had stunted growth

I took a gravity measurement on my version of Beach Brew, the current quarterly community brew. Gravity is down to 1.006 (2 points lower than projected) after 4 weeks, so it’s ready to be bottled. Sample looked blonde, smelled and tasted good, with the lemongrass addition evident. But I’m not ready to bottle today. Hopefully I’ll get the batch bottled tomorrow.

Took me a minute to see one bottle had stunted growth[/QUOTE

Lol! The last time I saw a shortie bottle, I was drinking a Gennie Cream Ale in New Jersey! I think Red Stripe bottles in shortie 12 ouncers

Processed some more Dried orange peal into a powder this time View attachment 25702
73g
It smells really sweet.
I think this would go great in a cake too!
I've got another dozen oranges on my tree I'm gunna dry the rest !
I love the smell and have tried it dried and grated in cakes and a little goes a long way.

Bottled the Sweet Pear Cider yesterday labelled today. Final Gravity .996 with an impressive ABV of 7.88% before priming.

Sanitized equipment and prepared water for a 2.5 gallon batch of Golden Ale I have brought forward in my schedule.

I'm ready to keg the 2nd batch of Zafram's beach brew.
Just wondering what to throw on the yeast cake as I want to use it again.
Tentatively contemplating to see how ingredients for a red ale would work out with a Belgian yeast :eek:

Safe bet would be a belgian blonde or tripel though

I'm ready to keg the 2nd batch of Zafram's beach brew.
Just wondering what to throw on the yeast cake as I want to use it again.
Tentatively contemplating to see how ingredients for a red ale would work out with a Belgian yeast :eek:

Safe bet would be a belgian blonde or tripel though
I guess it depends on how much beer you got in stock if not alot then brew something you can rely on.
If plenty maybe take a risk.

Started my British Golden Ale (Bure Gold by Woodfordes whom I just found out no longer offer next day courier service). I think that was what I was brewing when I joined BF. Another one bites the dust in a manner of speaking. So doing a bit of lamenting right now. Standard is free but totally unreliable in this country for some years now. Still have my main general supplier but don't see any others after that.

Time I had another look at the map to see if there is a safe way through the crazy road network as there is a physical homebrew shop in a neighbouring town only 6 miles as the crow flies. They have a good wetherspoons bar too so I could take that in and have lunch there. That is the most frustrating part as I regularly used to walk that type of distance with a full pack. Last time I went over that way though I had just turned 40 and only just made it sprinting across a motorway slip road. Thinking of the increased weight coming back (not to mention my own considerable under carriage) this does not currently seem like a good plan.

Started my British Golden Ale (Bure Gold by Woodfordes whom I just found out no longer offer next day courier service). I think that was what I was brewing when I joined BF. Another one bites the dust in a manner of speaking. So doing a bit of lamenting right now. Standard is free but totally unreliable in this country for some years now. Still have my main general supplier but don't see any others after that.

Time I had another look at the map to see if there is a safe way through the crazy road network as there is a physical homebrew shop in a neighbouring town only 6 miles as the crow flies. They have a good wetherspoons bar too so I could take that in and have lunch there. That is the most frustrating part as I regularly used to walk that type of distance with a full pack. Last time I went over that way though I had just turned 40 and only just made it sprinting across a motorway slip road. Thinking of the increased weight coming back (not to mention my own considerable under carriage) this does not currently seem like a good plan.
The return trip may not be as forgiving after a wee tipple:).

Be careful!

I should be brewing and bottling or kegging today, but currently feeling like an ice block and I'm not going to leave my spot in the sun till I defrosted!
Plus my poor dog is not feeling great. He got deknackered yesterday and is sulking today

Back