What are you doing with homebrew today?

Took in my malt from the dehydrator.

And processed the orange peal for Zaframs Beach brew
20230528_172450.jpg

Transfered the hybrid beer into keg
I learned a new trick tonight to keep the spunding valve on the fermenter on transfer that way I know how much pressure is still pushing the beer
20230528_172616.jpg

This is done transferring.

Reason being that bloody poppet musta had a little something in it so it was just leaking a wee bit if I took the spunding valve off lol!

Looking forward to trying my dried orange peel it sure does smell intense I'm really not too sure how much to use on the Q2

@Zambezi Special you said 20g of lemon peal was underwhelming so I do have enough well I think I'll use the lot going on your recommendations :)

Well I never knew about this stuff.

Hey enjoy your bree session tomorrow
It's not a nice plant to have around, certainly. Just glad I'm not allergic to it or it would cost me a fortune to get the scrub cleared out in the back yard.

Gotta do a few things this morning, but hopefully get done in time to bottle a batch that's been sitting at 6C for a couple weeks. Should be nice and clear. I make up my primer, dump that in a bottling bucket to let it cool, then just drain the fermenter into the bucket letting it self-stir with little or no aeration by making the flow swirl in the bucket. Usually more CO2 coming out of the brew than air going in when I let 'em sit this long. If I could leave 'em sit long enough, I think most of my brews would self carb without priming. I always see some carbonation when I transfer to the bottling bucket.

you said 20g of lemon peal was underwhelming so I do have enough well I think I'll use the lot going on your recommendations :)
I used 5 gr dried lemon peel in about 10 litre and I felt I could easily double it.
But orange might pop out much more than lemon. I don't know...

My NB Permafrost White IPA batch has been going for a few days now and my Tilt and bubbler tells me not much is going on.
Started at 1.063 now showing 1.039 now not moving much.
Used Imperial B44 yeast at 66f. But did not make a starter.
Ill bump it up a couple degrees and see what happens.

I used 5 gr dried lemon peel in about 10 litre and I felt I could easily double it.
But orange might pop out much more than lemon. I don't know...
Yeah that orange is pretty intense maybe I'll go 20g err on the side of caution and then I got more to play with :)

My NB Permafrost White IPA batch has been going for a few days now and my Tilt and bubbler tells me not much is going on.
Started at 1.063 now showing 1.039 now not moving much.
Used Imperial B44 yeast at 66f. But did not make a starter.
Ill bump it up a couple degrees and see what happens.

Perfect temp for that yeast, but bumping the temp is a good idea. Maybe rouse the yeast as well. How old was the yeast?

Perfect temp for that yeast, but bumping the temp is a good idea. Maybe rouse the yeast as well. How old was the yeast?

Hmmmm, was that one of the things I was suppose to look at?
Up a degree or so and looks to be going again. I did give it a "rouse" ( good shakin') when I bumped the temp. 1.029 and trending down.

Tried the Saison on Monday. It did ferment down to 1.006, but it needs to sit for a bit more. I will probably be trying it again on Friday. I keep reminding myself of the last one. I need some patience as the last one was horrible at 4 weeks and damn good closer to 6 or 8. This one isn't terrible, but not quite there yet at 3-3.5 weeks/1-1.5 in the keg.

Moved the Bavarian Wheat batch into storage a day early. Even the dark bottles look super clear.

Two gal plastic keg of Old Suffolk leaked out of the tap a few days ago. Fixed that but today the paper around the seal was damp. No visible leak and dry four hours after resetting but that's a double whammy I won't take a risk on. Moved it into the kitchen and will start ahead of tonight's evening meal as I don't have to prepare that from scratch. I wanted to leave this beer for six months based on the quality of the bottles several weeks back. It is only two and a half months old. My own stupid fault for choosing the wrong keg. Those 2 gals are too temperamental for the long stuff. I will in future use them for Amber/Golden ales which seem pretty good after around three months without significant improvement after six. I might order some more ready filled 1 gals and even retire the 2 gals altogether over the next few months. I haven't tried Woodforde's mini-kegged 'Adder' cider yet and they sent me a voucher recently... .

Got a brewing schedule to re-arrange!

Whenever I hear Oktoberfest, I can't help thinking about a big party in October. Not thinking about a beer style at all :)
Marzen or Festbier works too:)
We have a brewery that turns the taps over one Saturday in October to all Pumpkins and Festbiers. It is interesting on the take that different people have. Some get malty. Some are damn close to a Pils. I had one with a fair dose of corn that was damn good.
It is a cool style.

I tried my Belgian Saison attempt again tonight. It is much closer to being ready. I think this is going to be a true Farmhouse with a little sourness from the blueberries that I fermented. I did not do them in secondary. I did not know what to expect from this experiment, but it might be quite unique and very drinkable. At 1.006 FG it is still only around 5.8%

Back