What are you doing with homebrew today?

Two roller I'll have to get back to you on the brand. I had an old appliance motor in the shed I was going to use . After saving it for years for a project, I found it was shot, no go... so the rabbit hole got deeper whe I couldn't find one on Craigslist and bought a new motor fron Northern Tool.
Its a grain grinding machine and yes quiet and very fast.

I am stubborn, just like my mom. My mill is a 2 roller hand powered unit, and I enjoy the few minutes of crushing grain while the mash water heats to strike temp. I also push a human powered mower to cut my grass, which I did today.
How I earn my beer.
Keeps you young, too.

You're not alone @Herm brews ;)
I use a hand powered 2 roll grain mill as well.
Takes only a couple of minutes to crush the grains for a small batch.

So today, I cleaned and assembled my 2 new oxebar kegs. Then sanitised the 3 of them and put a little CO2 in them.
Transfered simple cider to one of them and attached CO2. 30 psi. Gonna leave it overnight and then it goes to fridge.
The little bit of cider left went into a 1 litre pet bottle with 60 ml apple juice for bubbles.
Then decided I was allowed to try my beer from oxebar 4 and I decided it is quite nice :)

You're not alone @Herm brews ;)
I use a hand powered 2 roll grain mill as well.
Takes only a couple of minutes to crush the grains for a small batch.

So today, I cleaned and assembled my 2 new oxebar kegs. Then sanitised the 3 of them and put a little CO2 in them.
Transfered simple cider to one of them and attached CO2. 30 psi. Gonna leave it overnight and then it goes to fridge.
The little bit of cider left went into a 1 litre pet bottle with 60 ml apple juice for bubbles.
Then decided I was allowed to try my beer from oxebar 4 and I decided it is quite nice :)
Got my workmate fermenting in the oxbars you rekon this would go alright Zambezi

Yeah, it would be better to carbonate at cooler temps, but I can't.
And this seems to be an OK work-around.
I use a spunding valve to check pressure and when it doesn't move much in a 12 hour period, I figure I'm about there

OK, read properly before responding...:rolleyes:
Fermenting in oxebars..
I would be a bit scared of the cleaning afterwards.
And is your mate using an airlock on the oxebar or a spunding valve?

I am stubborn, just like my mom. My mill is a 2 roller hand powered unit, and I enjoy the few minutes of crushing grain while the mash water heats to strike temp. I also push a human powered mower to cut my grass, which I did today.
How I earn my beer.

Hope you are earning overtime

OK, read properly before responding...:rolleyes:
Fermenting in oxebars..
I would be a bit scared of the cleaning afterwards.
And is your mate using an airlock on the oxebar or a spunding valve?
I just told him to put the lid on loose until he sees krausen is gone then tighten em up and let them build up pressure.

I should add he has been bitching about wine / cider flavours in his beers he thinks from adding sugar for priming.

I said hey why not ferment right in the oxbar this takes out the transfer that introduces oxidation and B the potential cider flavours from the priming sugar (I've never got this with bottling though).

Yeah it's a bit rough and ready but it's worked on the primitive cider then again that was cider lol.

How I earn my beer.
Those old mowers do a really nice cut, though. Great if you have a small level yard, not so much when you have a lot of brush and waist deep poison ivy on most of your lot. BUT, I learned a really neat trick with a hedge trimmer attachment for my weed-eater. It's actually a lot better at laying down PI and small brush than the weed eater head is, not to mention, the blade is nearly 3X the cutting swath of the weed eater. I can put the extension on my power head and reach right down to the bottoms of the ditches without going in them. This makes me feel a lot better about not finding a copperhead or rattler waiting to challenge for ownership of the property. Dunno why I never tried it before now, but now that I know what I know, my clearing and maintenance will go a LOT faster.

Those old mowers do a really nice cut, though. Great if you have a small level yard, not so much when you have a lot of brush and waist deep poison ivy on most of your lot. BUT, I learned a really neat trick with a hedge trimmer attachment for my weed-eater. It's actually a lot better at laying down PI and small brush than the weed eater head is, not to mention, the blade is nearly 3X the cutting swath of the weed eater. I can put the extension on my power head and reach right down to the bottoms of the ditches without going in them. This makes me feel a lot better about not finding a copperhead or rattler waiting to challenge for ownership of the property. Dunno why I never tried it before now, but now that I know what I know, my clearing and maintenance will go a LOT faster.
Can you mulch over the PI to keep it at bay once you've done the hacking?

Can you mulch over the PI to keep it at bay once you've done the hacking?
Yeah, repetitively cutting it will eventually kill most of it at ground level. But it's very invasive, tenacious, and persistent, and grows VERY fast. Fortunately for me, I'm not allergic to it at all. Unfortunately for me, very few in my family can go back there except me, so that severely limits the help I have working back there. More people are allergic to it than not. My youngest stepson was the only one of three that was not allergic in the Missus' family. My youngest is the only one of my kids that are, but all the grandkids seem to be except 1. Not sure I could point at genetics as having much to do with allergies.

There are still some huge vines bigger than my arm that go to the tops of 100-foot-tall pines and oaks. When I find them, I take a machete or axe to them. I take about 6 inches out of the main vine stem below the lowest branch, pull the stump out with whatever means necessary, and let the rest fall when it will. It'll eventually rot and turn loose. No point in harming the tree trying to pull it down, not to mention it's a pretty brittle vine and pulls apart easily, which then becomes an opportunity for it to spread more.

Yeah, repetitively cutting it will eventually kill most of it at ground level. But it's very invasive, tenacious, and persistent, and grows VERY fast. Fortunately for me, I'm not allergic to it at all. Unfortunately for me, very few in my family can go back there except me, so that severely limits the help I have working back there. More people are allergic to it than not. My youngest stepson was the only one of three that was not allergic in the Missus' family. My youngest is the only one of my kids that are, but all the grandkids seem to be except 1. Not sure I could point at genetics as having much to do with allergies.

There are still some huge vines bigger than my arm that go to the tops of 100-foot-tall pines and oaks. When I find them, I take a machete or axe to them. I take about 6 inches out of the main vine stem below the lowest branch, pull the stump out with whatever means necessary, and let the rest fall when it will. It'll eventually rot and turn loose. No point in harming the tree trying to pull it down, not to mention it's a pretty brittle vine and pulls apart easily, which then becomes an opportunity for it to spread more.
Im unfortunately terribly allergic to it. We have a bunch in the side yard that will have to pay someone to remove. His hairy roots. Thought we cut it back this fall. Apparently not

Today while enjoying the weather outside, sitting, I’m planning brew day. It’s been 44 days since I’ve brewed. I have all of the slurry from that batch I plan to use. I’m hoping that goes well. If not I have backup dry yeast. Hate to lose imperial pub since it will be fall before I will order more due to heat in travel.

Today while enjoying the weather outside, sitting, I’m planning brew day. It’s been 44 days since I’ve brewed. I have all of the slurry from that batch I plan to use. I’m hoping that goes well. If not I have backup dry yeast. Hate to lose imperial pub since it will be fall before I will order more due to heat in travel.
Keep it alive Josh.

I've been working on a recipe for my second beach brew.
Just not sure yet about which yeast to use.
Gonna have to replace some Maris Otter with pilsner malt as I am close to running out of MO...
Obviously I could brew a smaller batch, but I figure this probably works

I've been working on a recipe for my second beach brew.
Just not sure yet about which yeast to use.
Gonna have to replace some Maris Otter with pilsner malt as I am close to running out of MO...
Obviously I could brew a smaller batch, but I figure this probably works
Bet it will be super tasty either way.
Got my gas burner out to make sure it worked, i bought it last winter and never used it. I’m going to brew outside solo for the first time tomorrow

Im unfortunately terribly allergic to it. We have a bunch in the side yard that will have to pay someone to remove. His hairy roots. Thought we cut it back this fall. Apparently not
Well I never knew about this stuff.

Hey enjoy your bree session tomorrow

I'm mentally preparing for the Zoom of tonight :p

Back