What's your next brew

T58 is pretty versatile. Got more wheat? And, trub is free.

I decided on a gingery thing on the trub..
After that, Q2 as I got bry 97 and it would be my 3rd brew with T58 (so 2nd re-use)

I have two on deck I am planning. One is a Bock for Halloween. Brew two is going to be Belgian Strong for New Years Eve party. Both will be lots of fun.

Just bought the ingredients for my Hefeweitzen. LHBS was out of the 3068 liquid yeast, so trying the Lallemand dry. I remember it from years ago, was not as phenolic (sadly) but acceptable. We'll see.

Just bought the ingredients for my Hefeweitzen. LHBS was out of the 3068 liquid yeast, so trying the Lallemand dry. I remember it from years ago, was not as phenolic (sadly) but acceptable. We'll see.
Have you tried making a starter with the dry Lallemand and letting it sit until the FG of the starter is as low as possible? I normally find dry yeasts to be a bit more aggressive if I make a starter with them.

No. I’ll do a decoction. I think I did last year though
I'm noodling around with a Festbier recipe and was considering adding a small amount. I think in a marzen I absolutely would, but was thinking in a festbier maybe some Munich 10L would be enough maltiness. What do you think?

I'm noodling around with a Festbier recipe and was considering adding a small amount. I think in a marzen I absolutely would, but was thinking in a festbier maybe some Munich 10L would be enough maltiness. What do you think?
I think so. I add Munich 2 until I hit 5 srm. Always malty but super drinkable and sneaky.
I go Pilsner and Munich 2 to hit 1.056 and 24 ibu of noble hops.

So how are you planning this? It’s fun to see what they use and guess percentages and stuff. I’ve never had this one.
50/50 Vienna/Munich and all hops at beginning of boil?

So how are you planning this? It’s fun to see what they use and guess percentages and stuff. I’ve never had this one.
50/50 Vienna/Munich and all hops at beginning of boil?
It's on my shared recipes, click my name then profile but yes 50/50 but I did add finishing hops

I did a 50 Pils/30 Vienna/20 Munich last year for Thanksgiving. I used the light Munich. After tasting the Sierra Nevada this year, I might lower the Munich next time, maybe go 60/30/10. Aaah, nice things to play with in the future.

All the festbier/marzen talk on this thread has helped convince me that a festbier is my Labor Day brew tomorrow. I have some Novalager that I'm going to try. Thinking of starting fermentation in the low 60s, allowing a slight rise as fermentation slows. Probably will be a helles-like grain bill with mostly pilsner malt, 20% Munich. Also planning to throw in a few % of melanoidin malt and carapils, which I don't have a lot of experience with. Looking for some more complexity from the melanoidin, and head retention from the carapils.

I’ll probably brew Helles a few times until I run out of Pilsner malt. Think I have enough for 2 maybe 3 batches. May get some flaked maize and make one of them an American lager.

Back