What are you drinking right now?

We’re getting used to living in a much cooler climate than that of Southern California, and we keep our thermostat (heat pump) around 61-62F. It was in the mid-30’s outside yesterday afternoon, with rain and snow showers. While setting up our fireplace, I took an amber ale from the pantry, put it in the fridge for about an hour. Guessing the beer inside was maybe in the mid-40’s, I poured it in a clean glass, and was immediately impressed with the result. Great foamy head, good hops aroma, a more balanced flavor were all better expressed than in a long chilled bottle. But the biggest difference noticed was the clarity. This was the clearest beer I have ever produced - I just neglected to take a picture.

I plan to try this again today, and will provide photographic proof if the results are consistent.

image.jpg
After replacing a deadbolt on our garage side door, then cleaning out the rain gutters (third time so far), my wife said let’s go to The Bier Stein. Who am I to refuse?
She’s sipping a small pour of Westmalle Dubbel, while I have Firestone Walker Mocha Dolce Winter Stout with coffee and chocolate. Motivated to brew my own stout!

image.jpg

A local brew, Good People Pale Ale. Had a nice creamy head on it, but my wifi connection on my phone wouldn’t cooperate until it was all gone. Lingering bitterness to this is almost too much, but nice hoppy flavor. The bitterness works well with the malty flavor, just hangs around long after the malt flavor is gone. Haven’t figured out the yeast yet.

View attachment 22974 After replacing a deadbolt on our garage side door, then cleaning out the rain gutters (third time so far), my wife said let’s go to The Bier Stein. Who am I to refuse?
She’s sipping a small pour of Westmalle Dubbel, while I have Firestone Walker Mocha Dolce Winter Stout with coffee and chocolate. Motivated to brew my own stout!
Bet she had to twist your arm to make you go to the pub.

Bet she had to twist your arm to make you go to the pub.
It’s an easy call, we both really like this establishment. Every time we come here, the 23+ tap list is different, so it allows for trying new beers, and old favorites. And they have a whole wall of coolers holding cans and bottles from around the world.
Here is my second beer, Redside Red IPA by GoodLife Brewing in Bend, OR.
image.jpg

View attachment 22975
A local brew, Good People Pale Ale. Had a nice creamy head on it, but my wifi connection on my phone wouldn’t cooperate until it was all gone. Lingering bitterness to this is almost too much, but nice hoppy flavor. The bitterness works well with the malty flavor, just hangs around long after the malt flavor is gone. Haven’t figured out the yeast yet.

upload_2022-11-7_20-12-57.png

Sounds like there is a good back story to the Good People Brewery.;)

image.jpg
This is my amber ale, chilled on our back deck for an hour, without refrigeration (temp currently ~40F). As was the case yesterday, the appearance, aroma and flavor are better than when refrigerated. What I’m most impressed with is the clarity. When refrigerated, my beers always exhibit chill haze. I think I like the PNW.

View attachment 22980

Sounds like there is a good back story to the Good People Brewery.;)
I was waiting for someone to notice that. That can was very carefully positioned to see who would.

Alabama's blue laws had this state so far behind in brewing it's unreal. I want to say 2008 is when they finally figured out it was more lucrative for the state to let folks brew and sell than it was to put 'em in jail for doing it. Micro-breweries have been popping up all over the place since 2008. I don't know what the Good People story is, but it might be an interesting read, indeed. Their Chocolate Oatmeal stout is the cat's pajamas, though. My oatmeal stout is modeled on the flavor of theirs. I still don't have the malts quite right in it, but I think I'm spot on with the coffee, chocolate, and oat flavors, at least in my opinion. It's more fun trying to duplicate something I've had or tune it to my preferences than blindly following a recipe for what someone else thinks is good.

Here's their website: Good People

Couldn't ask for a better location. They're across the street from Region's Field, the newest baseball park in Birmingham. So far, all I've found is that they sold their first keg on July 4, 2008. That was about the time blue laws in Alabama started changing significantly. I wanna say it's only been the last few years that we could purchase beer on Sunday after 12 noon. Hasn't been very long. Gotta let the preachers finish preaching first, I guess. The newest change is that alcoholic beverages can now be shipped in Alabama, so Good People needs to update their FAQ page of their site, and look into mail-order marketing.

View attachment 22981 This is my amber ale, chilled on our back deck for an hour, without refrigeration (temp currently ~40F). As was the case yesterday, the appearance, aroma and flavor are better than when refrigerated. What I’m most impressed with is the clarity. When refrigerated, my beers always exhibit chill haze. I think I like the PNW.
That's gorgeous, Herm!

View attachment 22981 This is my amber ale, chilled on our back deck for an hour, without refrigeration (temp currently ~40F). As was the case yesterday, the appearance, aroma and flavor are better than when refrigerated. What I’m most impressed with is the clarity. When refrigerated, my beers always exhibit chill haze. I think I like the PNW.
Great looking beer, but I might get a little pissy if it were 40 outside. Then again, you don't have to deal with another tropical storm this week. If I posted anything, it would be an empty glass for the next couple of days. I kind of overdid it on vacation last week, and I am not as young as I used to be. I might be ready by Friday:)

Alabama's blue laws had this state so far behind in brewing it's unreal. I want to say 2008 is when they finally figured out it was more lucrative for the state to let folks brew and sell than it was to put 'em in jail for doing it. Micro-breweries have been popping up all over the place since 2008. I don't know what the Good People story is, but it might be an interesting read, indeed.

Sounds like, up until 2008, they were a 21st century version of a Speak Easy. You had to know the password or know a guy who could get you in.

Back