What are you doing with homebrew today?

Kegged a Cream Ale. That’s 1.006 and a bit lower than I had intended. Brewer’s error as I used W34/70 and a bit of sugar in the boil. Fermented farther than I’m used to since I had never used this yeast in a Cream Ale before. Tasted fine though.
Double Cream Ale anyone? :)

IMG_1812.jpeg

Need to get some beer bottled today, testing out the idea of using a centrifical pump for racking(uncarbonated) beer. According to tech support at Anvil, should work without any issues...and that will make 6 pumps in the brewery(March 809 for HLT, Kegland MkII for Mash, Seaflo "Beer Pump" for boil, 2 Seaflo 21 series pumps for glycol and an Anvil for racking). In defense of having pumps on EVERYTHING, I've been pouring concrete for way too many years already, do enough lifting at work...lol
Centrifugal pumps tend to cavitate far worse than any other type. They have to run fast to sling whatever the pumped liquid is out of the impeller. While uncarbonated, you may introduce a lot of air into your brew. But, let me know how it works out. After blowing up rotator cuffs (once on the left, three times now on the right), I'm all about not lifting heavy things anymore.

Need to get some beer bottled today, testing out the idea of using a centrifical pump for racking(uncarbonated) beer. According to tech support at Anvil, should work without any issues...and that will make 6 pumps in the brewery(March 809 for HLT, Kegland MkII for Mash, Seaflo "Beer Pump" for boil, 2 Seaflo 21 series pumps for glycol and an Anvil for racking). In defense of having pumps on EVERYTHING, I've been pouring concrete for way too many years already, do enough lifting at work...lol
I wouldn't do this just for what @RoadRoach said. Its gonna be oxygenated. Pressure transfer would be better

Strike water is heating, grains are crushed and hops are weighed and ready. Brewing American Wheat today.

And mash is underway, right on the intended target of 152F. Since so many have recently suggested an undisturbed mash, that is what I am going with today, instead of my usual stir and measure every 20 minutes. Fingers crossed for good results. Now onto some laundry.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do this just for what @RoadRoach said. Its gonna be oxygenated. Pressure transfer would be better

Centrifugal pumps tend to cavitate far worse than any other type. They have to run fast to sling whatever the pumped liquid is out of the impeller. While uncarbonated, you may introduce a lot of air into your brew. But, let me know how it works out. After blowing up rotator cuffs (once on the left, three times now on the right), I'm all about not lifting heavy things anymore.
Pressure would be better no doubt, however after speaking with Anvil, as long as I get all the air purged, I shouldn’t have a problem. Going to give just hook it up to the fermenter and let gravity fill it up. Once I’m satisfied that there isn’t any air in the pump, I’ll let pump into the reservoir for filling.

As long as I’m careful about how fast I pump, should be fine. Guess I’ll find out.

I remember watching it as a family on Sunday nights back in the day, like from the beginning.

Wow Craig...you're old! :p But not as old as me. I also watched MASH from the beginning and also saw that special. The bad martinis reminded me of some homebrewers we got on the forum during the pandemic. It didn't matter so much how their beer tasted, they just wanted alcohol.

image.jpg
A test of patience, this Nice & Smooth Stout spent 60 days in the fermenter because, well life sometimes gets in the way. This American Oatmeal Stout started at OG 1.057 (4 points above projection), using Wyeast 1056 to get down to a relatively dry 1.009 (6 points lower than projected) for a kinda hefty 6.3% abv. Sample smelled and tasted good. If I can control myself (I think I can), this should be really nice this coming Autumn.

I just added a heating mat to my fermentation fridge....

Back