What are you doing with homebrew today?

Yay!
Next time use the liquid line to fill the keg, not the gas line. No harm done, but the liquid line keeps the gas side dry and not-sticky and avoids splashing/turbulence in the keg.
I did fill through the liquid (out) post, thus delivering the beer through the dip tube to the bottom of the keg without any splashing. The gas line was directed to the airlock of my FerMonster, so no beer fouled the gas (in) post.

it's all ice on the roads here in clever mo @Minbari, it could just be rain when it gets to you but coming your way
nope, was very icey here. fell down the stairs and wrenched my knee............call out of work. good times.

we had a 13 day ice storm here years a go that knocked out all power and cell towers, damaged half the cities power lines, this should be fine

I remember that one. we lost power for three days,. had to go to my inlaws

I did fill through the liquid (out) post, thus delivering the beer through the dip tube to the bottom of the keg without any splashing. The gas line was directed to the airlock of my FerMonster, so no beer fouled the gas (in) post.
Ah, my mistake. I got confoosed by out and in. Your writing was clear, my mind was all cloudy. Like my beers.

Way to go @Herm brews !
That is a good process, transferring into a purged keg.
I use to drain from Speidel fermenters in through the open lid of pre-purged kegs.
The beer would slowly push the Co2 out as it rose in the keg.
I wrapped a starsan soaked paper towel around the hose which covered the opening of the keg to keep the nasties out.
You know I use a lot of hops, but I never had an O2 issue with this method.

Just be careful if you are pressurizing the fermonster, 1 or 2 PSI may not seem like much, but there are a lot of square inches on the interior of that fermenter.
This includes the surface area above and below the level of the beer.
Your fermonster is not rated for pressure.
Multiply every square inch (100's I am sure), and that is a lot of force if it blows.

@Craigerrr, did you do anything with the air being sucked into the fermenter as the beer drained? Like dispensing CO2 into the top as beer drained out the bottom?

@Craigerrr, did you do anything with the air being sucked into the fermenter as the beer drained? Like dispensing CO2 into the top as beer drained out the bottom?
I actually did come to think of it.
Was about to say, no sir I didn't but then remembered that:
I let in a trickle of Co2 through the lid opening in the top of the fermenter, I just opened the regulator enough to hear flow.
With a starsan soaked paper towel wrapped around it and covering the rest of the opening.

I just got a message from an acquaintance who works with the brewer in a local microbrewery and pizza shop. They are offering me some form of brewing storage (?) that they outgrew and need removed from their space. Tomorrow afternoon I am going to check it out, maybe it can work in my little home brewery. I am excited for this possibility.

Checked the gravity last evening on Saturdays Hazy
20240123_190317.jpg
brew, as a result set the ferm chamber to 5C, not a real cold crash, just bringing it down to serving temp for a day ir twobefore racking. Hoping to get it kegged Friday and knock at another brew on Saturday.

Checked the gravity last evening on Saturdays Hazy View attachment 28132brew, as a result set the ferm chamber to 5C, not a real cold crash, just bringing it down to serving temp for a day ir twobefore racking. Hoping to get it kegged Friday and knock at another brew on Saturday.
Looks juicy!

I just got a message from an acquaintance who works with the brewer in a local microbrewery and pizza shop. They are offering me some form of brewing storage (?) that they outgrew and need removed from their space. Tomorrow afternoon I am going to check it out, maybe it can work in my little home brewery. I am excited for this possibility.
Beer fridge here we come!

That's a little vague....I just hope it's not something like a 10 BBL fermenter :D
I will let you all know as soon as I find out myself, but I have a feeling it is some kind of insulated box to store homebrew scale fermenters and Corny kegs. At the worst, I come home empty handed after enjoying a pint of their very good beer. One of the really neat things about the brewery is they make several beers whose ingredients can all be traced from a hundred mile radius from the site. My favorite is their 70 IBU Oregon Love IPA. They also make a tasty Black Lager called Columns in recognition of the columnar basalt outcrop just across the railroad tracks from their site. The acquaintance who I am meeting there is an avid rock climber who regularly climbs those basalt columns.

After conditioning in the keg for about 4 weeks it was time to pour pints for myself and 3 friends. Vanilla Porter, really tasty! Smooth, creamy, biscuity with a coffee aftertaste. Consensus is it was delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_8120.jpeg
    IMG_8120.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 27
Latest pale ale is 10 points (ish) from finishing, so I dry hopped with Anchovy and Superdelic hops and turned up the spunding valve. I doubt it will be ready in time for Saturday's zoom, so I'll have to grab some beer from work

Kegged cider and low alcohol ipa.
They are taking turns being carbed.
Got a 2 litre pet bottle with cider competing for co2 as well. And a 1litre ipa that I'm carbing naturally.

Now contemplating what to brew next. Gotta choose the right yeast as I don't have enough power at night to use my fermentation fridge.
Daytime high of 34 / night time low of 23 oC. Bit cool for kveik voss, so thinking S33 or T58 or saison

Looking out the front window, wondering why so many cars are parked up and down our street. Our old neighbors have been moved to a care facility :( so there is an estate sale at their home. My wife and I went to check it out - my focus was hoping to find a fridge or chest freezer. There was an upright freezer, but with integrated racks and cooling coils, that did not seem manageable for my needs. But I did buy a tree trimming tool that will come in handy around here, and my wife found some materials for here art projects.

On another note, a few days ago I went to check out what my acquaintance from the microbrewery and pizza shop had to offer. The brewer there was given a friend’s temperature controlled fermentation chamber when that friend went off to Alaska to brew commercially. It is an interesting and well built contraption that still gets some use by the brewer for odd projects, but he wants it to find a new home. On the left and right sides were insulated compartments that each held two 5 gallon glass carboys, with cutouts on top to accommodate airlocks. On top center, there was a smaller insulated compartment holding 2 smaller glass carboys, with cutouts for airlocks. Bottom center was a compressor and temperature sensor, with fan ports opening into each of the 3 compartments. The contraption was built of plywood, insulated with styrofoam and modular in that each compartment had a removable side for access. It was mobile, built atop sturdy casters.

For my purposes, it seemed like overkill, as I have no need for 25+ gallons of capacity. Unfortunately, the only way to fit a Corny keg in either bottom compartment was to lay it on its side. A couple cases of 12 ounce bottles could easily fit in each of the lower compartments. After thinking about it, I will probably pass on this offer.

Back