What are you doing with homebrew today?

Living dangerously
IMG_20230708_152240044.jpg

I started using foam control (FermCap) a while back. It's used mostly to control krausen during fermentation, but it works great to prevent boil overs in the kettle. I haven't had a boil over since I started using it... although I've not had a pot filled to that level ;)

Ironically, it supposedly helps with head retention in the final product.

I don't do a lot of starters (only when I can't use dry yeast), but when I do I use FermCap when boiling the wort in the flask as well.

I am contemplating brewing my first Saison. At the latest meeting of CBS (Cascade Brewers Society), I got a packet of Lallemand Farmhouse Hybrid Saison-Style Yeast, which happens to be non-diastatic yeast. Given that the packet is expired as of February, I wonder if I should make a starter to ensure viability. As for a recipe, there is a good Classic Saison recipe posted by Craft Beer & Brewing, which seems a fine starting point, and calls for the use of Fuggles and Syrian Goldings.

I wouldn't really worry about the expiry date of the yeast. Esp not if that was Feb this year.
I like Saisons, haven't used that yeast though

I wouldn't really worry about the expiry date of the yeast. Esp not if that was Feb this year.
I like Saisons, haven't used that yeast though
Exactly it’s fine. Those dates are super conservative. Plus you’ll lose the nutrients from the starter unless you add back.

Kegged my Session Helles (misnomer I know) Tasty but a touch young. It will not be touched again for a few weeks anyway

So I created my first Saison recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1396907/summer-saison
but decided to use Willamette Hops instead of Fuggles and Styrian Goldings (hey, I live in the Willamette Valley, and am now sitting within a quarter mile of the Willamette River). Descriptions suggested Willamette to be a viable sub for both, anyway.
Thanks to @Zambezi Special and @Josh Hughes for your reassurances about the recently expired yeast packet. It will be put to good use.
I have gone to my lhbs, and picked up my grains and hops. It looks like Monday will be a brewday.

So I created my first Saison recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1396907/summer-saison
but decided to use Willamette Hops instead of Fuggles and Styrian Goldings (hey, I live in the Willamette Valley, and am now sitting within a quarter mile of the Willamette River). Descriptions suggested Willamette to be a viable sub for both, anyway.
Thanks to @Zambezi Special and @Josh Hughes for your reassurances about the recently expired yeast packet. It will be put to good use.
I have gone to my lhbs, and picked up my grains and hops. It looks like Monday will be a brewday.

My next brew is also a Saison (my yearly Saison where I mash in with cut up lemons). I’ve made this beer 5 times: twice with 3711, twice with Belle, and once with Farmhouse. I liked the Farmhouse beer the best. There is something a bit more natural, less mechanical about Farmhouse. The flavors don’t seem so forced, if that makes any sense. Only tip I’d give is that Farmhouse won’t ferment as “dry” as the other two. Expect upper 80’s attenuation, but not into the 90’s. So if you like your Saisons bone dry, you might consider a bit of sugar. Not necessary though. Please post as you go, I’d like to hear your take on this yeast.

Oh they love beer:D
That should have some interesting effects on the eggs, too. We used to free-range ours every time we could, especially after the garden was done, and let 'em clean up anything we left behind. The yolks would be so rich, almost orange. Wonder why I have high cholesterol?

I am contemplating brewing my first Saison. At the latest meeting of CBS (Cascade Brewers Society), I got a packet of Lallemand Farmhouse Hybrid Saison-Style Yeast, which happens to be non-diastatic yeast. Given that the packet is expired as of February, I wonder if I should make a starter to ensure viability. As for a recipe, there is a good Classic Saison recipe posted by Craft Beer & Brewing, which seems a fine starting point, and calls for the use of Fuggles and Syrian Goldings.
I like Saaz and EKG. I like a very basic recipe 2lbs wheat the rest Pils. Some like a little Vienna. I used the White Labs Belgian and pushed the Temps into the low 80s after the krausen fell. Good luck. Have patience. They taste a lot better after about 6 weeks. If you have a healthy pitch, they will get dry. My Belgian was 1.006. My French was 1.002
I pitched two packages in each 5 gallon batch. Use a blow off tube. That shit is active.

Back