What are you doing with homebrew today?

I usually overpitch. The only time I have not seen activity by 18 hours, I actually did have outdated yeast.
If it is flat with no foaming or anything after 24 hours, it is a problem. If it is doing something, I don't worry too much. S-05 doesn't show a lot of activity to the eye but it shows something and works well.

Shaking off some brewing cobwebs with a batch of kolsch. I'll probably be going until 9:30 pm tonight, but it's worth it :)
20230505_195629.jpg

Um I made a rookie error lol I was reading the wrong side of my refractometer lol:oops:o_O I had a few beers but gee I just took a gravity reading and... looks like I did hit my numbers and now I've made a big mistake
20230507_121241.jpg
I was reading the scale on the right thinking that was brix:confused: WTF was I thinking lol so my pre boil was 8 brix oh man what a doosh!

16 brix 1.065 as opposed to what was it 1.044 or something hmmm well it is what it is.

Um I made a rookie error lol I was reading the wrong side of my refractometer lol:oops:o_O I had a few beers but gee I just took a gravity reading and... looks like I did hit my numbers and now I've made a big mistake View attachment 25331I was reading the scale on the right thinking that was brix:confused: WTF was I thinking lol so my pre boil was 8 brix oh man what a doosh!

16 brix 1.065 as opposed to what was it 1.044 or something hmmm well it is what it is.
A rice trippel!

Pitched Imperial Dieter in my kolsch wort yesterday and it seems to be cruising. Up to 5 PSI on the spunding valve and the points are starting to drop according to the Tilt. I'll keep it at 5 PSI and 65F until fermentation is almost complete, then bump up the pressure

Pitched Imperial Dieter in my kolsch wort yesterday and it seems to be cruising. Up to 5 PSI on the spunding valve and the points are starting to drop according to the Tilt. I'll keep it at 5 PSI and 65F until fermentation is almost complete, then bump up the pressure
Is that Dieter as some German guy or Dieter as someone on a diet? I presume the former.

I'm contemplating what to do....
I wanted to taste a little to check on carbonation, but I only get gas coming out the picnic tap.
It got pressure enough, so I guess the beer dip line has come off :(
It's a bit of a weird connection with the oxebar tapping head.
I've put the keg cold, so at least it can carbonate.
Now I either finish the other keg and use that head. Or I quickly unscrew the one on the ginger wheat, put a lid on it. Repair everything, sanitise and put back. Then release some CO2/oxygen and carb again.
They are only 8 litres so I can finish them quite quickly, although the idea was to build up stock

I'm contemplating what to do....
I wanted to taste a little to check on carbonation, but I only get gas coming out the picnic tap.
It got pressure enough, so I guess the beer dip line has come off :(
It's a bit of a weird connection with the oxebar tapping head.
I've put the keg cold, so at least it can carbonate.
Now I either finish the other keg and use that head. Or I quickly unscrew the one on the ginger wheat, put a lid on it. Repair everything, sanitise and put back. Then release some CO2/oxygen and carb again.
They are only 8 litres so I can finish them quite quickly, although the idea was to build up stock
Yeah I'd put another head on it.

I was talking to my workmate yesterday he's got 5 or more of them now.
He's having troubles with acetalaldehyde well that's what he thinks it is lol.

They don't have a floating pickup which is a drawback.
Yeah it's a push on type fitting onto a funny barb thing?
That sux Zambezi

image.jpg
Smooth Stout is bottled after giving it an additional 6 days in the fermenter. Those 6 extra days did not result in a lower FG, so 2 batches in a row finished at 1.016, which is 5 points higher than projected. This will probably be my last stout until Autumn, which really isn’t that far away.

Turned up the refrigerator to 80 degrees for the Saison free rise. The krausen came down some, but still there tonight. I guess that is a good sign. I glad the OG was only 1.050 as I have a feeling this might attenuate.
I used two packets of WLP 565, and that damn thing took off like a rocket. I came home from having a couple of beers after it had only been in the fermenter for 4 hours, and it already had very noticeable activity. I'm glad I bought the 1" blow off tube.
Note to others brewing anything Belgian, buy the blow off tube for the stopper.

Back