What are you doing with homebrew today?

I guess I’m gonna be looking for a new LHBS. The closest seems to be in Montgomery but doesn’t seem to have a website or much advertising. Makes me wonder if it’s in someone’s garage. Wouldn’t want to drive that far only to find limited availability of supplies. Huntsville would be next closest, but that’s two hours up the road and I don’t go north (through Birmingham) unless it’s dire need/circumstance. The amount of stupidity on I65 in Birmingham never ceases to amaze me. Seems there are very few LHBS stores in the area. Gotta be the challenge of dealing with the lopsided competition with the mail order and online shopping as well as the costs of keeping inventory (taxable). My goto LHBS closed his doors forever and now I gotta buy stuff from Amazon or one of the big suppliers. He’s a couple years younger than me ( meaning he’s at retirement age), and was usually complaining about the inventory taxes and competition issues when I was shopping with him, but he had a huge selection of recipes that I looked through for inspiration. Gonna miss that hometown touch of shopping local and seeing the inventory before I hand over the money.

I guess I’m gonna be looking for a new LHBS. The closest seems to be in Montgomery but doesn’t seem to have a website or much advertising. Makes me wonder if it’s in someone’s garage. Wouldn’t want to drive that far only to find limited availability of supplies. Huntsville would be next closest, but that’s two hours up the road and I don’t go north (through Birmingham) unless it’s dire need/circumstance. The amount of stupidity on I65 in Birmingham never ceases to amaze me. Seems there are very few LHBS stores in the area. Gotta be the challenge of dealing with the lopsided competition with the mail order and online shopping as well as the costs of keeping inventory (taxable). My goto LHBS closed his doors forever and now I gotta buy stuff from Amazon or one of the big suppliers. He’s a couple years younger than me ( meaning he’s at retirement age), and was usually complaining about the inventory taxes and competition issues when I was shopping with him, but he had a huge selection of recipes that I looked through for inspiration. Gonna miss that hometown touch of shopping local and seeing the inventory before I hand over the money.
The same happened to me at the beginning of the year. There's one about an hour from me but the drive there is a pain and they close early. There's another about 30 minutes away but I am not crazy about it. I am doing my next order online today from a store that is in my state but is 3 hours away.

Back