What are you doing with homebrew today?

I have a keg that's no longer staying sealed around the lid. I've added more keg lube on the O ring and around the interior of the collar where the lid sits. I wonder if it's because of some nicks around the edge where the metal is misshapen slightly. Anybody dealt with something similar?
View attachment 24985
I have and a new o ring fixed it. Of course I’m not looking at your keg

Sometimes repositioning the lid a little can cure a leak. A new gasket won't hurt, but try spinning it to see if the leak moves. Also check the lid isn't also bent.

Some dents can be undented with a hammer and a steady hand. Some kegs just leak.

The O ring is less than a year old and reguarly lubed. Yes, along the right side of the lid. If you zoom in on the photo you can see the bubbles from the sanitizer
I did years ago. $35.00 new lid problem solved yay!

But it wasn't an oring I'm pretty sure but a weld or something. Was 2016-17 memory faded.

Rice lager brew day is GO:)
20230411_080901.jpg

This is two passes through the mill tight as it will go
20230411_080521.jpg

Recommendation is grist under 2mm granule size happy with that.

After using S04 yeast for the first time in a very long time, I am surprised to see how quick it works. Pitched at 18C around 11AM Friday, fermented at 17C. As of this evening the krausen has almost completely dropped out. I will just leave it be for a few more days before setting to cold crash.

S04 can be SCARY fast. I've had the air lock start bubbling within 2 hours with S04, and finish out in 3 days, back when I was still fermenting without temperature control. It'll push the krausen all the way up to the top of my FF 7.9 with nearly 8 inches of head space on my usual batch size. I always top off to 5.5 gallons and check my OG from there. I wrecked two of the dubblebubble air locks back to back (can't clean 'em out once krausen goes in 'em), so pretty much decided to never use those again. I'll stick with the 3-piece (floating bell) versions. When you guys spund like that, do you still put the off-gas through a trap? Or just vent it in the chamber as the regulator controls pressure? I'm assuming that krausen making up to that nifty little regulator is a REALLY bad thing.

You're right, collecting the yeast can be a little troublesome, unless you have a conical with a removable sediment bulb. I did it a couple times when I was still fermenting in buckets. Keeping multiple yeast strains around starts driving when you brew what, too, to avoid losing the yeast. The cost really isn't that bad, nor really a concern. I did it mostly out of curiosity and experimentation. With the conical, it's easy peasy to collect the yeast. So, if I'm planning a repeat brew, I'll repitch the yeast. You're not the first one I've found that isn't a fan of conicals. My LHBS guy is also a beer judge, and he REALLY doesn't like the conicals, particularly the plastic ones. I've had good service and luck with mine, though, but it is limited in what I can do with it since it is not pressure rated. I'd just as soon NOT be the person that found out how big a mess a FF 7.9 will make when it blows the lid off. Sometimes, a boo-boo is amusing. That would be very NOT amusing.

S04 can be SCARY fast. I've had the air lock start bubbling within 2 hours with S04, and finish out in 3 days, back when I was still fermenting without temperature control. It'll push the krausen all the way up to the top of my FF 7.9 with nearly 8 inches of head space on my usual batch size. I always top off to 5.5 gallons and check my OG from there. I wrecked two of the dubblebubble air locks back to back (can't clean 'em out once krausen goes in 'em), so pretty much decided to never use those again. I'll stick with the 3-piece (floating bell) versions. When you guys spund like that, do you still put the off-gas through a trap? Or just vent it in the chamber as the regulator controls pressure? I'm assuming that krausen making up to that nifty little regulator is a REALLY bad thing.

You're right, collecting the yeast can be a little troublesome, unless you have a conical with a removable sediment bulb. I did it a couple times when I was still fermenting in buckets. Keeping multiple yeast strains around starts driving when you brew what, too, to avoid losing the yeast. The cost really isn't that bad, nor really a concern. I did it mostly out of curiosity and experimentation. With the conical, it's easy peasy to collect the yeast. So, if I'm planning a repeat brew, I'll repitch the yeast. You're not the first one I've found that isn't a fan of conicals. My LHBS guy is also a beer judge, and he REALLY doesn't like the conicals, particularly the plastic ones. I've had good service and luck with mine, though, but it is limited in what I can do with it since it is not pressure rated. I'd just as soon NOT be the person that found out how big a mess a FF 7.9 will make when it blows the lid off. Sometimes, a boo-boo is amusing. That would be very NOT amusing.
Fermenting under pressure suppresses the krausen somewhat. This was done before I set it for pressure, but at 17C wort temperature it was a pretty tame fermentation.

Kegging @Trialben 's Bunyip. Started at 1.048, went down to 1.016. Got a good whiff when I took the hydrometer sample, and I just cannot wait until it is carbonated tomorrow.

Here you can see how I transfer under pressure to the keg. Ignore the CO2 pressure reading; It is set to 4 psi for transfer.

This way the fermenter does not move, helping keep the beer clear(er).
EEEB97D1-1CF3-4AF1-9B6B-727C1BB5AF22.jpeg

Kegging @Trialben 's Bunyip. Started at 1.048, went down to 1.016. Got a good whiff when I took the hydrometer sample, and I just cannot wait until it is carbonated tomorrow.

Here you can see how I transfer under pressure to the keg. Ignore the CO2 pressure reading; It is set to 4 psi for transfer.

This way the fermenter does not move, helping keep the beer clear(er).
View attachment 25016
Nice looking fermenter there Don!
Spike?just looking at the sticker :rolleyes:

Originally thought it was a ss brew tech conical.

Yes, spike "FLEX +", with the 15 psi-rated cover.
Very nice that has another 2 inch port I see on the side as well.

That's a long term investment.

Now that fridge looks like a dedicated ferm fridge I see it's even got a big arse circulation fan built in the back too.
I've not herd of that fridge brand here in Aus.

Danfos make the little 12v/24v fridge compressors maybe a parent company...?

Very nice that has another 2 inch port I see on the side as well.

That's a long term investment.

Now that fridge looks like a dedicated ferm fridge I see it's even got a big arse circulation fan built in the back too.
I've not herd of that fridge brand here in Aus.

Danfos make the little 12v/24v fridge compressors maybe a parent company...?
So the fermenter (and brewzilla 35 and several other smaller items) was a gift from my former company in honor of my retirement after 35 years with the company.

The commercial fridge was a gift from a brew buddy who got it nearly free off craigslist, but did not need it any more. He kinda felt sorry for me after my former brew fridge went kaput.

I continually pay him back in beer.

I know danfoss as very reliable pumps (high pressure).
We used them a lot in designing greenhouse projects

I am monitoring fermentation of Smooth Stout, which got going quickly using BRY-97. It’s still bubbling along, but not as vigorously as yesterday and Wednesday.
In the meantime, I’m settling on my next brew, which will be AC Pale Ale. A is for Azacca, C is for Citra. Planning a trip to lhbs to acquire grains and yeast, and maybe another hop rhizome.

I just checked the gravity on the coffee porter I brewed a week ago. It is at 1022, expected 1018. I'm kegging so it's not a big deal, but I am warming it up from 17C to 20C for a couple of days to see if it wants to clean up a bit more (used S-04). Sample is delectable and has a distinct dark chocolate flavor to it. I'm not so sure that I want to add the cold brewed coffee to it at packaging now.
Chocolate Porter? I guess I could call it a Stout, but to me stouts finish dry, and Porters are more sweet on the pallette.
If it's good, who really cares I guess.

I just checked the gravity on the coffee porter I brewed a week ago. It is at 1022, expected 1018. I'm kegging so it's not a big deal, but I am warming it up from 17C to 20C for a couple of days to see if it wants to clean up a bit more (used S-04). Sample is delectable and has a distinct dark chocolate flavor to it. I'm not so sure that I want to add the cold brewed coffee to it at packaging now.
Chocolate Porter? I guess I could call it a Stout, but to me stouts finish dry, and Porters are more sweet on the pallette.
If it's good, who really cares I guess.
Sounds fantastic! Good idea to let it sit for a few more days.

When I’ve used S-04 in Porters in the past, my attenuation was always only in the upper 60’s. Curious as to what your OG was?

Sounds fantastic! Good idea to let it sit for a few more days.

When I’ve used S-04 in Porters in the past, my attenuation was always only in the upper 60’s. Curious as to what your OG was?

Started my British Brown Ale. Tweaking again. This time I have combined extra dark malt (instead of dextrose) with dark malt so gone with Munton's Gold yeast for 'all malt' brewing. OG: 1.048. Last time it was 1.040. Slightly darker as I aren't following up with a dark mild this year.

Back