1st Quarter Brew 2023

Does the above look like anything drinkable?
Or should I up bittering hop and/or use different hops?

Aiming to brew tomorrow (tentative)

No problem cutting the aromatic down.

I don't think I got anything citrussy. Maybe Fuggles? Or leaving it out and increasing the other 2?

No problem cutting the aromatic down.

I don't think I got anything citrussy. Maybe Fuggles? Or leaving it out and increasing the other 2?
I’m not familiar with Galena other than the description, but leaving the English hops out altogether and doubling down on Cascade/Galena sounds like a good idea.

I had some limitations getting the exact grain bill from the bunyip-imperial recipe on post #25, but here's what I settled on (I usually get about 65% efficiency, but I'm going to redo my mash tun setup so who knows?):
  • 8 lb Pale Ale
  • 1.5 lb Munich Malt
  • 1 lb White Wheat
  • 0.5 lb 80°L
Hops are going to be:
  • 0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min, package says 10-14%... very helpful o_O
  • 1 oz each @ 0 min: Citra, Talus, Mosaic
  • Dry hop with 1 oz Cryo Mosaic
BRY-97 for the yeast. Never used it, but it sounds like it is pretty much the same thing as WLP051 and I've had success with that in the past. Gonna shoot for 66°F.

I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

+1 with Megary and Brian... Galena and Cascade would do well together.

Galena & Cascade it will be :D
Seems unanimous

Reduced aromatic malt to 5%

Hop (7.5 seemed like a nice number ;) )
Screenshot_20230114-160014.png

Last edited:
Keg cleaning went great!
The heaviest thing I lifted was an empty keg, used co2 to move cleaning solution and sanitizer around. Tomorrow, I will work on getting set up to do an extract batch. I have a lot of new items to work into a new indoor brewing process. Steam condenser, counterflow chiller, fermzilla, new fermentation fridge to set up...

How does this look Ben?
I put some wheat in for some head and head retention, should I lose that?
Planning on boiling about 1/2 volume and topping up with water.
Screenshot_20230114-144609_Brewfather.jpg
Screenshot_20230114-144623_Brewfather.jpg

Maybe I read over it, but what is the ideal temperature for fermentation of bry 97?

I'll do a single step mash.
67 oC? (152-153 F)?

Then a more general cooling question:
I cool by putting the whole pot (with lid on it) in cold water, refreshing water several times.
I'll get it to about 40-45 oC (104-113 F) this way. (Never measured but I can hold my hand against the side of the pot).
Couple options now
- let cool outside in pot
- pour into speidel, leave outside (this can be totally closed, or with airlock on it)
Or move to fridge for final cooling either in pot or speidel.
I have a feeling it would be better to pour into fermenter and cool in fridge, but would I then have enough oxygen left when pitching dry yeast?

Malts are weighed and milled. Hops are weighed. Going to put water on in the next hour or so

Maybe I read over it, but what is the ideal temperature for fermentation of bry 97?

67 oC? (152-153 F)?

I cool by putting the whole pot (with lid on it) in cold water, refreshing water several times.
I'll get it to about 40-45 oC (104-113 F) this way. (Never measured but I can hold my hand against the side of the pot).
Couple options now
- pour into speidel, leave outside (this can be totally closed, or with airlock on it)
I have a feeling it would be better to pour into fermenter and cool in fridge, but would I then have enough oxygen left when pitching dry yeast?

Malts are weighed and milled. Hops are weighed. Going to put water on in the next hour or so
I don't cover the pot until I get to 150°F. Then cool as much as possible and move to the fridge. Cool to 65° ish and the move to Fermentor and pitch.
No need to add any oxygen with dry yeast

67 oC? (152-153 F)?

Couple options now

From Lallemand:
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew BRY-97™ yeast when producing traditional styles is 15°C(59°F) to 22°C(72°F)

I’ve used this yeast plenty and it works best pitched bottom/middle of that range. Do your best to not let it get over 21-22C at peak Krausen. It’s a great, and pretty forgiving, yeast.

From Lallemand:
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew BRY-97™ yeast when producing traditional styles is 15°C(59°F) to 22°C(72°F)

I’ve used this yeast plenty and it works best pitched bottom/middle of that range. Do your best to not let it get over 21-22C at peak Krausen. It’s a great, and pretty forgiving, yeast.
Thanks, I saw the temperature range, but since I got no experience with it, and with this beer type, I thought I'll ask ;)
Got fridge set for 18 +/- 1.5 oC.
Maybe I should do 17.5 for the first 2 days?

Thanks, I saw the temperature range, but since I got no experience with it, and with this beer type, I thought I'll ask ;)
Got fridge set for 18 +/- 1.5 oC.
Maybe I should do 17.5 for the first 2 days?
That should be fine. Then let it go to 20-21 to finish. I usually leave it in the fermenter for about 2 weeks to give it enough time for yeast and trub to settle at the bottom.

Boil looks good!

Lots of firsts for me in this brew...
First time hopstand, first time using BRY, first time short boil and first time dry hopping.
Now how should I do that? Dry hopping? Do I need to disinfect anything? Or just open fermenter, put in hops, close and hope for the best?

Temp is sitting nicely in the low 18 oC (65 F)
Need tp check today if I see any bubbles

Back