1st Quarter Brew 2023

I think I need someone that speaks " Northern Brewer".
Like the Veloria malt, is that like Maris Otter? And the others?
he said it a maltier 2 row, so I went with briess pale ale. *shrugs*
I cant find Veloria here in the states

Ben, can you clarify your hop stand?
I'm seeing 2 additions @ 100 c and one without a temp.
Also, 0 minutes on all of them.
Assuming this is set up for no chill brewing?
Yeah so 30 min boil no chill is correct.
Screenshot_20230101-064125_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 minute addition treat this as a 20-30min whirlpool high temp addition so whirlpool straight at knock out for 30mins.

Then it's got that second dry hop at end of high krausen so on recededing fermentation.

Feel flexible with your hopping schedule but it's Whirlpool then dry hop .

Keep the base as pale ale malt then sub the Munich for Vienna.

had to make a couple changes based on what we have here.

users%2FDXyL8ddHECPWVepsiiAP9GAlmZf2%2Fimages%2Frecipes%2FfSLspWhMoonwvA3QMv6MqDWaOsmtky%2Fimg%40640-fSLspWhMoonwvA3QMv6MqDWaOsmtky.jpeg

Bunyip2.0
Classic English-Style Pale Ale

5.1% / 12.3 °P

Recipe by

Trialben

All Grain

BIAB (Fly sparge)
75% efficiency

Batch Volume: 5.5 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 7.47 gal

HLT water: 1.6 gal

Total Water: 9.07 gal

Boil Volume: 6.87 gal

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.050

Final Gravity (Fixed): 1.011

IBU (Tinseth): 26

BU/GU: 0.53

Color: 10.5 SRM

Mash
Strike Temp — 155.8 °F

Infusion — 150.8 °F45 min

Temperature — 158 °F20 min

Malts (9 lb 12.6 oz)
6 lb 13 oz (69.6%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L

1 lb 2.3 oz (11.7%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 6 °L

1 lb 2.3 oz (11.7%) — Briess Wheat White Malt — Grain — 2.3 °L

10.9 oz (7%) — Dark Crystal Malt — Grain — 71.8 °L

Hops (6 oz)
0.5 oz (26 IBU) — Warrior 15% — Boil — 60 min

1 oz — Cascade 5.5% — Aroma — 0 min hopstand @ 212 °F

1 oz — Citra 12.7% — Aroma — 0 min hopstand @ 212 °F

1 oz — Mosaic (Whole) 12.25% — Aroma — 0 min hopstand @ 212 °F

2.5 oz — Mosaic 13.2% — Dry Hop — 5 days

Miscs
3 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

3 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

0.3 ml — Phosphoric Acid — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — Fermentis US-05 Safale American 81%

Fermentation
Primary — 65.3 °F0 days

Carbonation: 2.5 CO2-vol
Yup looks good but up that bitterness to around 40 - 50 IBU to ballance the malt 20 ibus will be unbalanced and sweet ;)

So I boil for 30 minutes , kill the heat , add the zero min hops , wait 30 minutes for a slow cool then I can cool?????
sound about right?

So I boil for 30 minutes , kill the heat , add the zero min hops , wait 30 minutes for a slow cool then I can cool?????
sound about right?
Yeah pretty much actually I see that recipe is 60 min boil but up to you:).

If you can agitate them hops it will be good too

I usually do the 60 min boil, just trying to follow you lead.
looked up Talus hops did not find it , a substitution chart mentions Sabro hops which shows up localy

I usually do the 60 min boil, just trying to follow you lead.
looked up Talus hops did not find it , a substitution chart mentions Sabro hops which shows up localy
Yeah Talus should be available over there ?
It's a bloody Beautiful hop man if you try it.

Yup Sabro will be a good sub I've not used it personally.

So I got the yeast, got malted wheat & crystal malt.
But none of the others.
Can I get anywhere close with pilsner & aromatic malt?
Yeah for sure maybe sub in the Aromatic for the Munich addition keep the base as pilsner.
It'll probably be very tasty and a bit lighter in body and more sessionable because of this.

Hops wise use what you've got it's just hop forward so try and dry hop it with something fruity Cascade will do even.
Good luck Zambezi ;)

Oh wow Fate n Fortune work In weird ways lol!

I pass the Tin on and can't eat gluten then my name gets drawn isn't it Ironic thanks Alanis Morissette:D.

Like I said to Josh in the PM it'll have to be one of my tried and tested other wise it's Aldi Cider lol!
Plus being true to the spirit of the BF Quarterly Brew one of my tried n tested is only fit.

The Bunyip pale ale.

I've gotten myself into some real messy situations drinking this beverage it creeps up on you, anyhow in the dark of night after one to many sitting around the camp fire in the bushlands of Australia them Bunyips are lurking around the billabongs waiting for some unwary traveller to stumble into their waters and never come out alive.

This similar story my dad used to tell me and my bro as we sat around the camp fire while he was drinking with his mate made me scared to go and do a wee!:eek:

Anyhow enough hoo haa

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/577204/bunyip2-0

This is the current recipe
The whole gist is a beefed up pale that has a bit more malty body too it and a bit more hops.

That velora pale is maltier than the Standard pale ale malt the Munich doubles down on that malty back bone and the wheat provides some more body and nice thick head retention.
You can choose to keep the crystal malt or sub it out for more base grain.

Any new world hop is made for this beer I've used different verietys over the years Mosaic is always a favourite I've used citra and talus in this one. But Equinox or Galaxy or Simcoe are all favourites for this beer.

It's just a good grist to try some hops with.

Cheers I'm honoured to throw my hat in the ring and be chosen as brewer of the Quarter.

I must admit this Gluten free thing has taken a big hit on me when it comes to Homebrewing as you all know on this forum I'm evolved here most days in the beer n bulshit conversations and being told oh you can't drink beer anymore let alone brew it has hit me hard where it hurts in the gahooners lol.

So to have you brew one of my favourites will be an honour for me and I can relive this beer through you all.

Cheers

Happy New Year to you all

Onwards and upwards !

Recipe looks really nice, Ben. Very excited to give this a run, even though I’ll probably be bringing up the rear on brewing this. I have two beers that I have to brew next - one is a yeast timing issue, the other is a Stout for St Patty’s Day - but then Bunyip for sure. Early March, probably.

Cheers! And thanks for taking the pressure off me! :D

Yup looks good but up that bitterness to around 40 - 50 IBU to ballance the malt 20 ibus will be unbalanced and sweet ;)
weird, that is how it imported. i will add more at 60.

Recipe looks really nice, Ben. Very excited to give this a run, even though I’ll probably be bringing up the rear on brewing this. I have two beers that I have to brew next - one is a yeast timing issue, the other is a Stout for St Patty’s Day - but then Bunyip for sure. Early March, probably.

Huh no pressure man were all looking forward to brewing one of your stouts oh I mean beers:D.

Anyhow I think the Bunyip would be a great spring beer which is sorta march for you :)

Oh for those wanting more hop punch match the whirlpool addition into the Dry hop

So 1 oz citra 1 oz talus 2.5 oz Mosaic Dry hop addition.

I’m similar. End of march for me but definitely this quarter. Love this one Ben. Excited to make something different from my usual

This is new territory for me :)
Does this sound anywhere in the right direction?
Before I work on getting the hops in place?
Screenshot_20230101-104224.png

As for hops:
Ben mentioned fruity hops. I asked mr Google and out of the hops that came up, I got Galena, Hallertau Tradition & Perle.
I also have the Cascade that Ben suggested, but I did a saison with only cascade and found it not nearly as nice and as fruity as EKG and Saaz/Spalt.

I'm going to have so many questions!

This is new territory for me :)
Does this sound anywhere in the right direction?
Before I work on getting the hops in place?
View attachment 23715

As for hops:
Ben mentioned fruity hops. I asked mr Google and out of the hops that came up, I got Galena, Hallertau Tradition & Perle.
I also have the Cascade that Ben suggested, but I did a saison with only cascade and found it not nearly as nice and as fruity as EKG and Saaz/Spalt.

I'm going to have so many questions!
Hmmm they are no where near the hops I'd use in this beer sorry to say:oops:.

Use the Cascade I would it'll give you a closer representation of what your trying to achieve in this beer.

Maybe try and pair the Cascade with EKG
Grist looks good percentage wise

I'll go with what you would suggest @Trialben ;)
Let me give you the hops I do have
Fuggle
Tettnang
Hallertau blanc
Cascade
Tradition
Perle
Spalt
EKG
Saaz
Galena.

On the plus side: I got bry-097 :cool:

I'll go with what you would suggest @Trialben ;)
Let me give you the hops I do have
Fuggle
Tettnang
Hallertau blanc
Cascade
Tradition
Perle
Spalt
EKG
Saaz
Galena.

On the plus side: I got bry-097 :cool:
I've not used Galena but maybe this would pair well with the Cascade and EKG with Citrus aromas as per the google search.

Back