Who do you cheer for?

@west1m the Oilers were down 3 games to 0. The only team in the 100+ year history of the NHL to come back from 3-0 in the finals and win the Cup were the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs. They came back from 3-0 to beat the Red Wings.

Of course, I was just a young Lad then, barely remember it

They had to go to seven, think of the beer sales.

Only the NHL would set up their finals schedule so game 7 would fall on a Monday night

It's a 7 game series with a lot of travel, it is what it is.
What it is right at this moment is one hell of a hockey game. Tied at one in the 2nd period.
I'm hoping for overtime!

Well that was disappointing but Florida straight up beat us. I think they gassed our guys in the 2nd and they didn't have anything to bring at the end when they needed it. Pity but it was a good series and a good final game.

Woke up to rumors of tragic news in the hockey world since confirmed. Johnny Gaudreau and his brother Matthew were struck and killed last night while riding their bikes by a suspected drunk driver. Johnny was a star center for years for the Calgary Flames and currently was with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Matthew most recently played for the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL in 21-22. My heart just hearts for their family. Heard that their sister's wedding was supposed to be this weekend, can't imagine what the family is going through. And then for the Blue Jackets this is the second active player that's passed in the past few years.

Sorry for bringing the mood on this thread down, just felt like it should be mentioned. RIP boys...

When horrible things happen, you have to express yourself. Lord knows I have.
It isnt a matter if bringing anybody down.
Im not even a hockey fan, but I will drink a toast to them and keep their families in my thoughts.

My oldest are just about Johnny's age, I can't even begin to imagine what the parents, and the family are going through. When he came into the NHL, the media was calling him "Johnny Hockey", RIP Johnny Hockey and brother Matt :(

IMG_1847.png
Not sure why I even care about them

Last edited:
I love summer, I really do, but my two favorite seasons are starting soon
Screenshot_20240901_101628_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240901_101803_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 30285Not sure why I even care about them
I took my son to his first baseball game like a month ago in Buffalo and there starting at first base was Joey Votto. Totally forgot he was in the Blue Jays org. Was telling my son all about him and how I once saw him hit 3 home runs (and the Reds 9) but he wasn't really impressed. Told him it's super hard. Anyways was cool to see him one last time. He retired like 2 weeks later. I got his bobblehead at a game once but I'm afraid that it may have gotten lost in a move at some point

I took my son to his first baseball game like a month ago in Buffalo and there starting at first base was Joey Votto. Totally forgot he was in the Blue Jays org. Was telling my son all about him and how I once saw him hit 3 home runs (and the Reds 9) but he wasn't really impressed. Told him it's super hard. Anyways was cool to see him one last time. He retired like 2 weeks later. I got his bobblehead at a game once but I'm afraid that it may have gotten lost in a move at some point
Cool you got to take him and talk about Votto.

Too bad Joey never got to "come home" and play for the Jays before retiring, we all wanted that.
I have walked by the Bisons stadium a few times going to Sabres games, looks like a real nice, traditional ball park, I must go sometime...

Shame is as bad as the Reds hit, he could have hit the same as last year and been a starter here.

Too bad Joey never got to "come home" and play for the Jays before retiring, we all wanted that.
I have walked by the Bisons stadium a few times going to Sabres games, looks like a real nice, traditional ball park, I must go sometime...
It's nice for it's age (it's as old as I am) and it's had a couple facelifts. Upgraded recently for the Covid season when the Bluejays were here cause the border was closed. Think it was mainly the lights that were permanent upgrades.

Yeah the downtown ballpark was part of a major push in the late 80's and early 90's by late mayor Jimmy Griffin to try and land a Major League expansion team. Buffalo actually set a single season AAA attendance record one of those years. Ended up losing out to Denver and Miami. Interestingly though the old War Memorial stadium on the Eastside where the Bisons (and the Bills early on) used to play is where the majority of the baseball scenes for The Natural were shot.

Back