What are you doing with homebrew today?

Yep, that''s weird Herm.
I would like to know why, but still wouldn't worry about it ;)

I'm ready to keg my red ale and brew another De Koninck, as then I can re-use the slurry.

Brew after that is most likely going to be a witbier or a weizen. Not done one before

The first sample, after correcting for temperature, matched recipe projection, which makes me very happy. The second sample comes in 4 points low. My refractometer confirms the differences. This is not the first time this has happened. Which numbers to believe, or should I not care?
I'd believe the second one since it didn't rely on any temperature correction. And while I might wonder why I'm off those 4 points, I consider them meaningless to the finished beer. I certainly can't taste 4 points.

The ginger beer looks great!

I'd believe the second one since it didn't rely on any temperature correction. And while I might wonder why I'm off those 4 points, I consider them meaningless to the finished beer. I certainly can't taste 4 points.

The ginger beer looks great!
Thanks on the ginger beer, it really is refreshing!
For the record, both measurements required temperature corrections as it was running near 80F in the house. This morning, at cooler temps, I checked again on the second sample, and it’s at 1.054, just like yesterday after temperature correction. I think I will go the conservative route, and enter the lower number (1.054) as my original gravity on this brew. Given a low mash temperature (151F to start, and 146F after an hour), I think this will finish somewhere in the lower single digits, so it will have plenty of abv.
The good news is that the fermenter airlock showed activity within 3.5 hours of pitching, and this morning the airlock is bubbling multiple times per second.

Last edited:
View attachment 26054 Now I’m drinking homebrew Ginger Ninger after brewing my first farmhouse ale, Summer Saison. My brew day went well. It’s nice to be able to open windows instead of relying on the vent fan to redistribute the steam during the boil. It’s also really nice to have normal temperatures (low 80’s F compared to near 100F the past few days).
Something was strange though, with my measurements. After the boil, I collected 2 samples. The first was at the completion of a 10 minute whirlpool, where I dipped a ladle in for the sample. The second was taken via the transfer tube as I started filling the fermenter (seen in picture above). The first sample, after correcting for temperature, matched recipe projection, which makes me very happy. The second sample comes in 4 points low. My refractometer confirms the differences. This is not the first time this has happened. Which numbers to believe, or should I not care?
I speculate the wort had stratified. BUT normally the denser wort would be at the bottom. Does not make much sense.

I think I need to move this stuff outside or call the local b0mb squad...
20230718_190952.jpg

I thought things would be safe in this old cooler..WRONG!

I think I need to move this stuff outside or call the local b0mb squad...
View attachment 26061
I thought things would be safe in this old cooler..WRONG!

That hole in the lid really shows the power of an over-carbonated bottle! That would be a good picture put on the New Brewer page. You could open the remaining bottles to let the pressure out and quickly recap. Unless you think you have an infection. Do be careful Ward (gloves and safety glasses)!

But I would advise against calling in the bomb squad. Calling the cops and telling them you had one bottle bomb explode and are worried all the others might go off too, might not get you quite the assistance you are looking for. :p

WOO Boys we got a live one on our Hands!

Yeahar be careful on the movements there Ward :D
I took the last 3 and stuck them in a plastic cooler and into the fridge... I'll see what's what this weekend with some first hand physics lessons!
That hole in the lid really shows the power of an over-carbonated bottle! That would be a good picture put on the New Brewer page. You could open the remaining bottles to let the pressure out and quickly recap. Unless you think you have an infection. Do be careful Ward (gloves and safety glasses)!

But I would advise against calling in the bomb squad. Calling the cops and telling them you had one bottle bomb explode and are worried all the others might go off too, might not get you quite the assistance you are looking for. :p

Don't doc me dude!

Yeah buddy..that was the last straw. I still had a 6 and one 22 oz bomber...no pun..but this blew 2 of the 12's and the bomber but it was a 12 that blew a hole in the lid! No infections...this was all too much priming sugar! The beer's good after the geyser is over!

this weekend will be finalizing recipes for next two brew days
  1. "Three Paths Pale Ale" (Annie Johnson) - split batch with just bittering and dry hop additions and a 75 min boil with DME.
  2. Special Bitter - "Landlord Tribute" (Modern Homebrew Recipes) - base malt will be (Fawcett) Golden Promise after a couple of years with on just American "two row" base malts (Briess, GWM, Rahr).
and bottling an American Amber Ale (Briess Amber DME, Simpson DRC, US-05).

this weekend will be finalizing recipes for next two brew days
  1. "Three Paths Pale Ale" (Annie Johnson) - split batch with just bittering and dry hop additions and a 75 min boil with DME.
  2. Special Bitter - "Landlord Tribute" (Modern Homebrew Recipes) - base malt will be (Fawcett) Golden Promise after a couple of years with on just American "two row" base malts (Briess, GWM, Rahr).
and bottling an American Amber Ale (Briess Amber DME, Simpson DRC, US-05).
Sounds tasty especially the Landlord

Bottled up 52 bottles of Rapier Wit today, gonna make another batch of the same and dump it on top of the yeast from this batch. I'm thinking a burp bottle might be a smart move this time, considering previous experience with S33 repitch. Super easy to brew, and good summer beer. Not too heavy, nice citrus tang from orange peel and coriander. It's an extract brew, but when it's too hot to brew outside, this is what I do so I don't stink up the house too much. The missus likes the smell of this one, so it's a no-brainer to do it inside.

Some cloth between the bottles and the foam lid will attenuate the impact to the lid significantly. An old sheet for example, or a pillowcase.
While conditioning, my bottles are always in 6 pack holders, in a heavy duty plastic tub, with a heavy, folded towel covering everything. By luck or good planning, never a bottle bomb in over 4.5 years.

I just poured my chilled wort on the old trub. It's in the fermentation fridge now.
I'm trying to find some materials to make a blow off tube as the fermenter is a bit fuller than normal

I just poured my chilled wort on the old trub. It's in the fermentation fridge now.
I'm trying to find some materials to make a blow off tube as the fermenter is a bit fuller than normal
Tis how I'm gunna roll too this weekend Zambezi!

Maltings are done here
20230727_163624.jpg

Started this Sunday I find it continues to germinate over night until the sun hits it tomorrow
20230727_163853.jpg

For those interested it smells sweet and kinda musty with a tiny hint of cheeseo_O :D
4.5kg brown rice
Gotta get some more buckwheat so I can make another brownish ale that's tasty stuff!

Oh I kilned that other batch last night I think it's a bit more than pale malt lol
20230727_171718.jpg

While conditioning, my bottles are always in 6 pack holders, in a heavy duty plastic tub, with a heavy, folded towel covering everything. By luck or good planning, never a bottle bomb in over 4.5 years.
Haven’t been doing it quite as long, but no bottle bombs either. I know I’m probably tempting fate as long as I keep bottling, though.

Tis how I'm gunna roll too this weekend Zambezi!

Maltings are done here View attachment 26129
Started this Sunday I find it continues to germinate over night until the sun hits it tomorrow View attachment 26130
For those interested it smells sweet and kinda musty with a tiny hint of cheeseo_O :D
4.5kg brown rice
Gotta get some more buckwheat so I can make another brownish ale that's tasty stuff!

Oh I kilned that other batch last night I think it's a bit more than pale malt lolView attachment 26131
That’s a pretty spiffy malting bed. How long does it take to germinate rice, and is that just ordinary brown rice off the grocery shelf? I thought that stuff would be too processed with too much of the husks removed. You are definitely at the apex of DIY homebrew skills.

Back