Show me your gardening Progress

Lettuce is starting to get ready.
Eating it young as I got at least 80 head to get through
IMG_20230803_185021063.jpg

PXL_20230814_182714881.jpg

I pulled one of my potatoes out to see if they're ready but decided to let them go for a while yet.
I grabbed some squash, beets and some tomatoes as well for tonight and tomorrow.
My 2 oldest grandkids eat the cherry tomatoes like they're candy, so I'll be dropping some off for them tonight as well.

Our Sun Gold cherry tomatoes are among the best I have ever eaten. They are juicy and sweet. The stem has a little crook, like an elbow. I find they are ready when they break at the elbow under light pressure, and have had no splits. San Marzano tomatoes are abundant and ripening, and will be used for sauces later in the year (we will be canning some or all of those).

We are scavenging delicious blackberries from the neighbor’s vines (those that come over our side of the fence). Our poblano peppers have yielded misshapen fruits, but they were great stuffed, and the newer peppers are shaping up more typically. There are 2 other varieties of peppers, and they are thriving. Our arugula grows like weeds, and along with Mesclun lettuces provides for plentiful salads, and spinach is on the way. More carrots are growing! We harvested 4 of 8 potato plants earlier in the summer, and have 4 more plants still growing.

Latino F-1 squash, sometimes known as Mexican zucchini, has provided its first fruit, and butternut squash is coming along. We got some fruit from 3 of 5 blueberry bushes, and hope for better production on those next year. And finally, our 2 apple trees (Spitzenberg and Honey Crisp) are loaded with ripening fruit, but unfortunately these attract rats, which are painfully abundant - I have humanely trapped and relocated 13 so far. They better stay away from our tomatoes.

The growing of some of our own food has been quite rewarding, and we are looking to expand production by converting existing lawn to mounds and/or raised beds. Happy gardening, you all!

Not quite producing yet bit this is ONE tomatoe plant!
20230814_113948.jpg

Sorta hard to capture its size on the camera but easy 1 meter or more across.
One bad thing is this is where my Cascade hops are if this tomatoe doesn't get a wriggle on it'll clash with my hop growth...

Just signed a contract for what will hopefully be my new gardening spot. Finally got enough of the 'growth' of this little town and it's predilection for what they call progressive neighborhoods that are half-million-dollar cookie cutter McMansions sitting on half-acre lots. They don't want large lot owners because they can get more property tax from little lots with big houses. Never mind what's happened to the demographics and politics of the town, but the real clincher is the traffic and number of times we hear sirens blasting down the nearby road. When I moved here, I think I heard a siren every two or three weeks. Now it's more or like every 2-3 hours. I guess that's progress.

Ennyhoo, this one's 18 acres, 3 Bed, 2.5 bath, and a couple bonus rooms upstairs. Full unfinished basement. 16x32 pool out back, tractor shed and chicken coop with a nearby muscadine vineyard with about 15 vines. The pond is nearly 4 acres, and stocked with catfish, bream, crappie, large mouth bass, and grass carp. Near the head of the pond there's a pad where a double-wide manufactured home was sitting. Home is gone, but the utilities are all still there. There's what looks like another pad in the back yard between the house and the grape vines. We prequalified for the purchase, and signed the contract yesterday. Only one small glitch in the loan approval because of my income changes this year and in another 18 months, thanks to Disability rules and hitting age 65, but I'm thinking it'll be OK. Hoping to close on 09/29.

The best part is we're gonna do this without having to sell our current home immediately. That will let us do some polishing on it to get premium dollar out of it. If all goes according to plan, we'll be in the new digs and debt free this time next year with little more investment than the down payment. It feels good to have that kind of purchase power.
upload_2023-8-20_15-21-34.png

Just signed a contract for what will hopefully be my new gardening spot. Finally got enough of the 'growth' of this little town and it's predilection for what they call progressive neighborhoods that are half-million-dollar cookie cutter McMansions sitting on half-acre lots. They don't want large lot owners because they can get more property tax from little lots with big houses. Never mind what's happened to the demographics and politics of the town, but the real clincher is the traffic and number of times we hear sirens blasting down the nearby road. When I moved here, I think I heard a siren every two or three weeks. Now it's more or like every 2-3 hours. I guess that's progress.

Ennyhoo, this one's 18 acres, 3 Bed, 2.5 bath, and a couple bonus rooms upstairs. Full unfinished basement. 16x32 pool out back, tractor shed and chicken coop with a nearby muscadine vineyard with about 15 vines. The pond is nearly 4 acres, and stocked with catfish, bream, crappie, large mouth bass, and grass carp. Near the head of the pond there's a pad where a double-wide manufactured home was sitting. Home is gone, but the utilities are all still there. There's what looks like another pad in the back yard between the house and the grape vines. We prequalified for the purchase, and signed the contract yesterday. Only one small glitch in the loan approval because of my income changes this year and in another 18 months, thanks to Disability rules and hitting age 65, but I'm thinking it'll be OK. Hoping to close on 09/29.

The best part is we're gonna do this without having to sell our current home immediately. That will let us do some polishing on it to get premium dollar out of it. If all goes according to plan, we'll be in the new digs and debt free this time next year with little more investment than the down payment. It feels good to have that kind of purchase power.
View attachment 26367
Nice. All you need is a little palm tree for the island...

Nice. All you need is a little palm tree for the island...
Pretty excited about it. The missus has had me hunting houses for the past two months, and it's all been a pretty boring process to me. Nice house, crappy or very little land. Nice land, house was a dump. We looked at what some realtors called fixer-uppers, and the best way to fix them was to start with a bulldozer. Sometimes, we thought "Yeah, we can handle that", then started thinking about how much work it was to build the shed out back and how long it would take before we had a house we could move to. The time really wasn't the issue so much as the extra costs associated with running back and forth for restorations, as well as the cost of materials.

We stumbled up on this one last week and went to see it on Thursday. Contract is signed, and the only thing that can stop me is the underwriters. We're gonna have to do a little negotiating on some things but nothing I'd call a deal breaker. The pool's in pretty bad shape, but the liner, filter, and pump are supposed to be only 3 years old. I just hope water chemistry hasn't killed the elastomers in the liner. I built and serviced pools to put myself through college, so there's nothing I can't do on it, but pools are expensive when they're kept up, much more so when they're not. I've seen many get turned into giant flower pots. We could move in if we had to, but want to do all the painting and patching while it's empty, Then, we'll reverse the process on this one when it's empty, and doll it up for premium dollar. I'm even considering a home inspector to give me a punch list when I think I'm done. Might be money well spent.

Pretty excited about it. The missus has had me hunting houses for the past two months, and it's all been a pretty boring process to me. Nice house, crappy or very little land. Nice land, house was a dump. We looked at what some realtors called fixer-uppers, and the best way to fix them was to start with a bulldozer. Sometimes, we thought "Yeah, we can handle that", then started thinking about how much work it was to build the shed out back and how long it would take before we had a house we could move to. The time really wasn't the issue so much as the extra costs associated with running back and forth for restorations, as well as the cost of materials.

We stumbled up on this one last week and went to see it on Thursday. Contract is signed, and the only thing that can stop me is the underwriters. We're gonna have to do a little negotiating on some things but nothing I'd call a deal breaker. The pool's in pretty bad shape, but the liner, filter, and pump are supposed to be only 3 years old. I just hope water chemistry hasn't killed the elastomers in the liner. I built and serviced pools to put myself through college, so there's nothing I can't do on it, but pools are expensive when they're kept up, much more so when they're not. I've seen many get turned into giant flower pots. We could move in if we had to, but want to do all the painting and patching while it's empty, Then, we'll reverse the process on this one when it's empty, and doll it up for premium dollar. I'm even considering a home inspector to give me a punch list when I think I'm done. Might be money well spent.
Beware the pre-inspection: if you know about something, you're legally obligated to disclose it in most cases. Ask your realtor.

That being said, you know what 'not right' looks like, so just go through every room and take notes. Check everything, even the polarity of the electrical outlets. Then make your own punch list.

Paint goes a long way to make things look clean and new. Definitely empty the house and pay for staging, best $1k you'll ever spend. Trust me on that.

That's a lot!
I barely use it at all but I may have to put some in.
Yeah it's a weird one good if you like curries Indian cuisine.
The health benefits from Tumeric in regards to circulation has brought it to a fore as a sorta health food:).

It's great for making your dish yellow and anything else it comes into contact with :D!

Mate being in the Termite inspection game and doing pre purchase inspections alongside builders put it this way I WOULDN'T PART WITH ANY Money until a prepurchase inspection has been carried out buy someone who is worth thier weight in salt oh I mean Gold:p.

The couple hundred bucks you spend on a prepurchase could save you thousands;).

Free advice from a hombrewer...:)

Mate being in the Termite inspection game and doing pre purchase inspections alongside builders put it this way I WOULDN'T PART WITH ANY Money until a prepurchase inspection has been carried out buy someone who is worth thier weight in salt oh I mean Gold:p.

The couple hundred bucks you spend on a prepurchase could save you thousands;).

Free advice from a hombrewer...:)
He was saying he'd get his 'old' house inspected so he knew what to work on before putting it in the market.

At least I think that is what he wrote...

Gonna stop today by the local sports store to pick up new tent and hiking backpack. Hopefully weather gonna be nice.
Pool had been a real money drain for me, especially considering I'm not using it as much... Definitely go for a proper inspection, probably going to save you money in a long run :D

Last edited:

Back