I brewed today!

As I finished cleaning up krausen is already forming, at 39C this should be done about 36-48 hours.
20240727_120421.jpg
20240727_142950.jpg

I hope for your sake @Craigerrr the CSIS doesn't monitor this page....all that thing needs is a digital thermometer to really scare the uninitiated!

I think on my last brew day the heat index got up around 105. It was 80 and 90+% humidity before the sun came up. It was muggy as hell, and I was dripping sweat before sunrise. Yes, beer must be made:) Actually, you were probably down here a couple of weeks ago on Saturday, so you know.
I couldn't chill my wort under 85. The water from the hose was that hot. Luckily it is a Saison, and it probably won't hurt anything with that crazy, French yeast.

"Tropical" IPA is brewed and I decided to also throw together a 4 gallon batch of dry hopped cider. These will be the last batches brewed at the old apartment. The kegerator is empty and will be deep cleaned and moved over next week. By then, I'll have 2 beverages ready to be crashed and kegged and ready for drinking!

"Tropical" IPA is brewed and I decided to also throw together a 4 gallon batch of dry hopped cider. These will be the last batches brewed at the old apartment. The kegerator is empty and will be deep cleaned and moved over next week. By then, I'll have 2 beverages ready to be crashed and kegged and ready for drinking!
A 2fer. That's how you do it.

I only used one in mine, and I do taste it. Mine had been frozen and was from the tree in the backyard. Curious to hear your numbers when it ferments. I used WLP590 (French) went from 1.050 to 1.000. Took another small sample this morning. It is significantly better even from Friday, but it still needs some time.

I only used one in mine, and I do taste it. Mine had been frozen and was from the tree in the backyard. Curious to hear your numbers when it ferments. I used WLP590 (French) went from 1.050 to 1.000. Took another small sample this morning. It is significantly better even from Friday, but it still needs some time.
This came in at 1.052. I’m using Lallemand Farmhouse and I know I’ll get about 85% from it. I expect it to finish around 1.008, maybe 7. I have 7% sugar in there, so maybe even 1.006.

If I’m being honest, the lemons in the mash are essentially a substitute for the lactic acid that I would otherwise need to drop my pH in line. Maybe if I squint I can pick them up in the finished beer. Zest at flameout, and maybe dry hop, and maybe packaging, and maybe in the glass, are really needed to get past the yeast, imo.
The whole idea for using lemons in the first place came from a podcast I heard with the owner of Rowley Farmhouse Ales in New Mexico. I emailed him and he got back to me with some tips. Nice guy. My nephew made it there one time and he scored me some beers. He said it was one of his favorite breweries he has ever visited, and he has visited breweries all over the world. Lucky bastard.

I was thinking today that I can probably pick it up because of the French yeast. It is very dry and goes more bubble gum than sour when it ages. I am getting just a little bit of the bubble gum now, and that mixed with just a hint of lemon is nice. It is very subtle, but I'm glad because I didn't want to get too much on the sour side. It was already starting to get good when I tasted it today. In a couple of weeks, it might be quite nice.

Back