I brewed today!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yesterday I brewed my Extra Bitter Barbarian (ESB). Same recipe as my previous brew but, with Imperial A09 Pub yeast in place of my standard Safale S04. With only a month between brew dates I should be able to compare both side-by-side.

Brew and Mash-2 May 26 2023.jpg

I had to mash outside as well because our slow rolling kitchen remodel currently has the stove in our living room.

Yesterday I brewed my Extra Bitter Barbarian (ESB). Same recipe as my previous brew but, with Imperial A09 Pub yeast in place of my standard Safale S04. With only a month between brew dates I should be able to compare both side-by-side.

View attachment 25563

I had to mash outside as well because our slow rolling kitchen remodel currently has the stove in our living room.
Looks like a perfect day to brew outdoors.

Yeast pitched. Hit OG. Good brew day
You and I have VERY similar kettles, but looks like yours has a stop for a false bottom. That would be VERY handy for a BIAB process. Do you still use an external thermometer to watch your mash, or the one on the kettle? If it isn't at least 3.5 Gallons, the liquid doesn't reach the thermometer in mine, and I've found that I have to keep stirring the mash very frequently to prevent scorching as well as homogenize the temperature throughout the mash. Might be time to build a stirrer that will latch onto the top rim of the kettle. I need to find another lid for it that I can cannibalize for the project. I've got an old gear motor that would probably twist my kettle into a pretzel if it hung up on one of the bungs, but I can see a large paint stirrer and that thing making an excellent batch stirrer. Gotta make sure it isn't zinc plated, though. I want to get to single vessel mash/boil process (BIAB) without just discarding what I've invested in hardware already. Maybe use the current kettle and burner for HWT, and talk the missus into an All-In-One rig for my birthday (which is coincidentally next month). The gas burner will certainly heat water quicker than electric, but I want the electric for better control of the temperature while mashing. That's next to impossible with a gas burner and manual temperature control. I'd like to find out if I can taste the difference in a brew made with tighter mashing temperature control.

Brewing a Belgian golden strong with M47.
Done one before, but that one didn't come out very nice.
Most likely due to no temp control and sudden hot temperatures.
So being brave and re-doing this one, but now with temp control

Back