Boiling 90 Minutes recipe

Thanks Minbari...could not have said it better myself.

IMG_20240131_132114.jpg

I use water from the faucet

Have you measured the temperature of your tap water out of the faucet? In the summer my water is around 80F, so I can only chill to 85-90F without needing to add ice to the water.
Yes but take to long, last time I hit 30 celsius.
Also I'm afraid any infection so I want to be quickly.
Any way fermentation after few hours started I'm waiting for the results.
I take a sample for gravity and taste, taste good gravity 1043 target was 1049 I'm okay
Fermenting at 12-13 Celsius with W34/70 yeast,
Should I make diacetyl rest after 12 days right?

I cool with the faucet water as low as it wants to go then clean out the ice tray from the fridg into a plastic dishwashing pan, fill with water and use a small fountain pump to circulate through the cooler. Always been enough ice except the one time I didn't get the heat all the way off.

There is no way in hell that I can get wort cool enough to pitch a lager yeast in Florida. I do chill in the refrigerator, but only for about 3 hours, and it is sealed. The bung/airlock sits in sanitizer while I pitch in the fridge. The closed yeast packet and scissors get sanitized too.
Since you are doing lagers, I assume you have a controller on the refrigerator. Set the controller to get your temp around 48F. Place your fermenter in the fridge once you are in the 80-degree ballpark. 80 for 3 hours in the fridge at 48 should get you somewhere in the low 60s. Pitch at that point. Pitch BIG too. A larger yeast needs about double the amount as an ale yeast. I actually use 4 packets in 5 gallons. It starts quick that way. 34/70 likes it around 55 until the D Rest at low krausen so turn up the refrigerator to around 55 after you pitch.

Yes but take to long, last time I hit 30 celsius.
Also I'm afraid any infection so I want to be quickly.
Any way fermentation after few hours started I'm waiting for the results.
I take a sample for gravity and taste, taste good gravity 1043 target was 1049 I'm okay
Fermenting at 12-13 Celsius with W34/70 yeast,
Should I make diacetyl rest after 12 days right?
D Rest at low krausen. For me, that is around 3 days.

D Rest at low krausen. For me, that is around 3 days.
Explain please, last batch i make diacetyl rest after 12 days thays what here advised
First time i heard for to soon

Explain please, last batch i make diacetyl rest after 12 days thays what here advised
First time i heard for to soon
Many ways to do but after high Krausen you can raise temp and do D rest. Ale or lager.

Many ways to do but after high Krausen you can raise temp and do D rest. Ale or lager.
Didn't know that can do it on ale, benefits are same?
So let's say i do it day 3 for 2-3 days after that i need to drop temperature again to continue the fermentation ?

So let's say i do it day 3 for 2-3 days after that i need to drop temperature again to continue the fermentation ?
benefits are less pronounced on most ales, since most ales are fermented at or above the D-rest temp to begin with. but, yes, it can be done.

English yeast can have diacetyl since they finish and drop so fast. Letting beer sit whether you raise the temp or not does the trick. If you are brewing a lager and fermenting cold it takes a lot longer to get rid or diacetyl, if its present if you simply let it lager. It will do the same thing though. Easier to just let temp ramp after high Krausen.

For 34/70 you can go to D rest temps at low krausen and leave it there for the other 11 days. I was going around 62.

For 34/70 you can go to D rest temps at low krausen and leave it there for the other 11 days. I was going around 62.
That's because of this yeast?
Last batch i use s23 and i made diacetyl rest after 12 days
I'm now on 3rd day so probably i will raise the temperature tomorrow morning.
As I said now fermenting at 12-13, Celsius
16 is ok gor diacetyl rest? (16-17 or 15-16?)

I use city water, about 25 C in summer, and a counterflow chiller. About 10 meters of 7 mm copper pipe inside a 19 mm water hose of 11 meters.

Oh yeah. I just threw it out there since it is still in literature about DMS.
As a professional brewer, we have observed that DMS is still a concern particularly when using pilsner malts. I recommend the article by Scott Janish (https://scottjanish.com/how-to-prevent-dms-in-beer/) for reference. We use a 90 minute boil to boil off DMS when we have significant amount of pilsner malt in our grain bill (BTW ... any hot side hop addition can go in at the specified time). Since DMS can continue to be produced from SMM at high temperatures, we work very hard to cool our wort as soon as possible after the boil is completed. We will cool our wort to 180F in our whirlpool using the glycol chilled heat exchanger. We do not to let the wort rest in the whirlpool for more than 30 minutes at 180F. After the WP rest, we will then knock-out to our fermenter at 54F and can have the entire batch to the fermenter in about 20 minutes. This helps to minimize DMS in the finished product.

As a professional brewer, we have observed that DMS is still a concern particularly when using pilsner malts. I recommend the article by Scott Janish (https://scottjanish.com/how-to-prevent-dms-in-beer/) for reference. We use a 90 minute boil to boil off DMS when we have significant amount of pilsner malt in our grain bill (BTW ... any hot side hop addition can go in at the specified time). Since DMS can continue to be produced from SMM at high temperatures, we work very hard to cool our wort as soon as possible after the boil is completed. We will cool our wort to 180F in our whirlpool using the glycol chilled heat exchanger. We do not to let the wort rest in the whirlpool for more than 30 minutes at 180F. After the WP rest, we will then knock-out to our fermenter at 54F and can have the entire batch to the fermenter in about 20 minutes. This helps to minimize DMS in the finished product.
I agree. Even at my small (5 gal) scale, yhe DMS is definitely detectable during the boil. Indeed, it helps when training new brewers: "This is DMS, smells like creamed corn, right? That's one reason we boil for an hour."

Back