Yeast manage

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
3 days ago i collected the yeast with the intention of reusing it, I took it from the fermenter after the cold crash when its temperature was 2-3 degrees Celsius, the water I used to ''wash'' her was room temperature so let's say 22 degrees Celsius, when I finished I put it in the fridge, which is at 2-3 degrees,
could all these sudden temperature changes shock the yeast?
is it safe to use again?

Most of the yeast will survive the shock. It will last for 8 or 9 months. I don't use it anymore past the 9 month mark based on several bad experiences. But if you plan to use it again in near future, it should work very well for you. If you keep it longer than a week or two, you should build a yeast starter. Otherwise you shouldn't need to if using it very very soon.

Cheers.

Most of the yeast will survive the shock. It will last for 8 or 9 months. I don't use it anymore past the 9 month mark based on several bad experiences. But if you plan to use it again in near future, it should work very well for you. If you keep it longer than a week or two, you should build a yeast starter. Otherwise you shouldn't need to if using it very very soon.

Cheers.
Saying "most of the yeast" you mean that the temperature fluctuation killing some of those microorganisms or they will die anyway?

What if I wash it with cold water 2-3 Celsius, and put direct in the fridge will survive more?

Saying "most of the yeast" you mean that the temperature fluctuation killing some of those microorganisms or they will die anyway?
I'm not sure what acceptable temperature fluctuation is but I would think a 20°C (36°F) fluctuation is too much. If your are going to use it with a few weeks, I wouldn't bother washing it at all. But if you want to wash the yeast I would try to keep the wash water roughly within 5°C (10°F) of the yeast slurry.

I've never worried about the temperature changes harming the yeast, and I've never had an issue reusing yeast I've washed like this. I assume the water you are using to wash the yeast has been boiled and allowed to cool, that you're not just using water from the tap for this

I've never worried about the temperature changes harming the yeast, and I've never had an issue reusing yeast I've washed like this. I assume the water you are using to wash the yeast has been boiled and allowed to cool, that you're not just using water from the tap for this
Yep i boiled and cooled, Theanks for your replys

Back