What should I brew this week?

So perhaps not fully fermented? Is there such a thing as a keg bomb?

I suspect not, particularly because they are kept cold. Oh, and made of stainless...
In all of the lager batches with this yeast, i have only ever seen it get to 79% attenuation, even being left for a few weeks. Even with Voss, i rarely get over 82% attenuation.

once the tanks are close to terminal i cap them and record the pressures for 24-48 hrs. I frequently have time to confirm 2 of the same gravs over 2 days to confirm this.

the only beers that i make that i would be worried about popping are the sours where i throw fruit post fermentation. If i was a packaging brewery i would have to change how i make my sours, but being draft only allows me the pleasure of keeping hands on all of my beer.

Also kegs have a weakened spot(litterally a hole saw punched into an angled part of the bottom of the keg) to prevent bombs. Also they can handle a fuck ton of pressure(60psi in writing, probably far more in practice...atleast once...)

My cool stays at right around 36-38F so even if there was possible further fermentation going down thats way too cold.

In all of the lager batches with this yeast, i have only ever seen it get to 79% attenuation, even being left for a few weeks. Even with Voss, i rarely get over 82% attenuation.

once the tanks are close to terminal i cap them and record the pressures for 24-48 hrs. I frequently have time to confirm 2 of the same gravs over 2 days to confirm this.

the only beers that i make that i would be worried about popping are the sours where i throw fruit post fermentation. If i was a packaging brewery i would have to change how i make my sours, but being draft only allows me the pleasure of keeping hands on all of my beer.

Also kegs have a weakened spot(litterally a hole saw punched into an angled part of the bottom of the keg) to prevent bombs. Also they can handle a fuck ton of pressure(60psi in writing, probably far more in practice...atleast once...)

My cool stays at right around 36-38F so even if there was possible further fermentation going down thats way too cold.
Yeah, I was only joking.

The pressure release valve on my repurposed soda kegs is rated at 130 psi, and the keg could probably handle double that - far more than the yeast could handle in any case.

One local brewery, who doesn't have a canning line but they do sell crowlers, has a big sign that says that any one of their fruit beers absolutely positively must be refrigerated or they run the risk of bursting. And the bartender make sure you've read and understood that sign before they hand it over the counter.

Yeah, I was only joking.

The pressure release valve on my repurposed soda kegs is rated at 130 psi, and the keg could probably handle double that - far more than the yeast could handle in any case.

One local brewery, who doesn't have a canning line but they do sell crowlers, has a big sign that says that any one of their fruit beers absolutely positively must be refrigerated or they run the risk of bursting. And the bartender make sure you've read and understood that sign before they hand it over the counter.
Man, 130 PSI in the volume of a keg is a whole lot of energy if that would fail it would be bad news bears! My tanks are rated for 30psi max. they would probably not rupture until north of 45psi, but they would def crack and leak. I rarely exceed 15 psi on them on purpose.

I have seen kegs rupture, but that was only from being dropped or frozen solid. Otherwise, they are super tough. Honestly, i would bet that the spear would blow a gasket before the keg ruptured(obviously freezing is a different animal).

More dangerous for tanks is actually vacuum, they cant hang, and it is super easy to pull a vacuum if you are careless. a google search would show lots of crushed large tanks!

I should honestly test out our crowlers vs the sour beer.

I am not really sure that they would be too bad though. I dont get good attenuation on them, between the lactose and the super low ph(3.1 on the tank i have now). i rarely get over 64% attenuation on them with voss. The one that is wrapping up now has been at 5.3P for 2 days. I dont need it immediately, so i will leave it warm until tomorrow afternoon, so i can pack it on Friday. Its Mango-Raspberry, it should be pretty good! its pretty tart at 3.1ph too!

Back