What should I brew this week?

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am not feeling inspired at the moment, please help.

I have on draft now:
1. Double Juicy IPA-8.6%
2. Black lager-4.8%
3. Sour ale(BlackberryLemon)-5.2% [[need to brew this since it takes a while]]
4. Session IPA-5.0%
5. Golden Lager-5.0%
6. Golden Ale- 4.8% [[This one is going to kick first]]
7. Medium Juicy IPA-6.7%
8. Red Ale- 5.9%

I have a grain order coming, so i have a decent selection of grain on hand. I have Voss(obviously), Munich lager, Kolsche, hazy yeast, berlin lager, and belgian yeasts on hand. Fruit wise I have Mango, raspberry, blackberry, golden kiwi, coconut, guava, lemon, blueberry, lime, and marshmellow on hand. I can easily get orange juice as well.

I was thinking:
Raspberry/mango for the sour ale. possibly i just use up all of my berries?

I am really struggling with the golden ale draft line.
Current options i was considering:
-belgian tripel(i have 12 pounds of candi syrup(clear) and a bunch of both dextrose and brewer's crystals. i have spices as well.)
-a dryhopped wheat ale(i dont really like wheat ales but people keep bugging me about them)
-kolsche
-another variation of a golden lager. maybe higher abv/lower ibu then my standard. This is the simple option but it is boring.

im open to all suggestions.

At the end of the summer little refreshes like a Hefeweitzen. Only problem is you'll need the proper yeast, and a little bit of melanoidin. Hazy Wheat is only a shadow of that.

At the end of the summer little refreshes like a Hefeweitzen. Only problem is you'll need the proper yeast, and a little bit of melanoidin. Hazy Wheat is only a shadow of that.
i love a good fresh german hefe, but i have not had good results(haziness wise) brewing them on any scale. they always floc out and are not as good.

ya i also dont have the yeast on hand. I could use Voss and a dryhop to throw haze, but that is a very different beer.

i love a good fresh german hefe, but i have not had good results(haziness wise) brewing them on any scale. they always floc out and are not as good.

ya i also dont have the yeast on hand. I could use Voss and a dryhop to throw haze, but that is a very different beer.
Off question, I brewed Sunday and used Voss, darn thing is already done at 84f, is that normal

If you have some Vienna on hand and a tiny bit of Chocolate 350, I know what I would make with one of the lager yeasts:)
Didn't see the yeast on your list, but I think I have myself talked into a 5% or sub 5 Oatmeal Porter next.

If you have some Vienna on hand and a tiny bit of Chocolate 350, I know what I would make with one of the lager yeasts:)
Didn't see the yeast on your list, but I think I have myself talked into a 5% or sub 5 Oatmeal Porter next.
I have a couple bags of vienna on hand. my chocolate is of the higher L variety but an oatmeal porter does sound very nice.

I am also getting a bag of rye malt. Maybe a golden lager, lightly hopped but with a decent % of rye in the bill??? maybe a touch of Special x for some complexity on top of the rye?

I have a couple bags of vienna on hand. my chocolate is of the higher L variety but an oatmeal porter does sound very nice.

I am also getting a bag of rye malt. Maybe a golden lager, lightly hopped but with a decent % of rye in the bill??? maybe a touch of Special x for some complexity on top of the rye?
Just a tick of that high L Chocolate with some Vienna, you have a nice Vienna Lager with the right hops.
Ever since I did that Porter with the Guinness yeast the last time, I have wanted to do it again. I just haven't got around to it, and now I can keg it:)

Just a tick of that high L Chocolate with some Vienna, you have a nice Vienna Lager with the right hops.
Ever since I did that Porter with the Guinness yeast the last time, I have wanted to do it again. I just haven't got around to it, and now I can keg it:)
i love vienna lagers. honestly one of my favorite styles. I would totally brew that if i didnt have the red ale on. I brew a kick ass vienna/octoberfest for tybee pirate fest in october so its coming!

sweating my ass off. got about half my grain bags up the stairs so far by myself...its 87 out, but with the humidity the feels like temp is 98...woof.

Thoughts on this for a golden rye lager? i made the same recipe with 12lbs of flaked oats and it was very well received by the domestic drinkers.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1501040

Rye Pale Ale
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1501049

belgian tripel
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1449064

Last edited:
Off question, I brewed Sunday and used Voss, darn thing is already done at 84f, is that normal
Probably! I brewed my red ale on monday of last week. Crashed it on thursday, packed it on Friday. I have not started that low temp wise, i generally shoot to knockout at 96f(set my jackets to 36.5c).

Red Ale
Monday 8/12 12.85p @ 37.0C brew day
Tuesday 8/13 4.5p @35.9 c
Wednesday 8/14 3.5p @ 35.0 c Capped it overnight
Thursday 8/15 3.4p @ 32.5 c 3.5psi AM 3.5 psi PM Crashed it before i left work.
Friday 8/16 3.4p @ 5c Carbed/packaged it.

Double Juicy IPA
Thursday 7/11 18.1 @ 36.5c BREW
friday 7/12 8.0 @36.1 DRYHOP
sat
sun
Monday 7/15 3.15 @32c CRASH 83% attenuation.
Tuesday 7/16 Carb/Pack

Juicy IPA
Thursday 8/15 14.5 @36.3c sp 38.5c BREW
Friday 8/16 5.7 @ 38.5c DRYHOP
Sat
Sun
Monday 8/19 2.5p CRASH 83% attenuation
Tuesday 8/20 CARB/PACK...but i dont have kegs :'(

Last edited:
I think it went up to 90 one day, crashing it now, completely clear on top so why not
I started out fermenting it at 100+ but i find the flavor to be just as good at 96. fun fact, my glycol was out for a long time and i brewed with voss. even knocking it out at 96 it got up to 105.6 overnight without the glycol. shit is crazy.

I started out fermenting it at 100+ but i find the flavor to be just as good at 96. fun fact, my glycol was out for a long time and i brewed with voss. even knocking it out at 96 it got up to 105.6 overnight without the glycol. shit is crazy.
I bought a brick, last beer tastes great, I'm hooked

Golden rye ale sounds nice. Light on the hops is great.

Thoughts on this for a golden rye lager? i made the same recipe with 12lbs of flaked oats and it was very well received by the domestic drinkers.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1501040

Rye Pale Ale
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1501049

belgian tripel
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1449064
They all sound good but i am intrigued by the Golden Rye Lager. I have made a Rye Kolsch twice with success, i love the flavors that the Rye contributes!

So I just packaged the Rye Lager! it is super tasty! Fermented at 18C. Hit 5.73%abv at 79% attenuation!!! If i had more time, it may have dropped a little further. Its behind a basically full keg, so it will get a week or 3 at 36F. Ill post some photos once i get it on draft!

The Munich 2/Spec X/ Rye Combo is REALLY yummy. It has a slight chocolate finish at the back end of the pallet!

So I just packaged the Rye Lager! it is super tasty! Fermented at 18C. Hit 5.73%abv at 79% attenuation!!! If i had more time, it may have dropped a little further. Its behind a basically full keg, so it will get a week or 3 at 36F. Ill post some photos once i get it on draft!

The Munich 2/Spec X/ Rye Combo is REALLY yummy. It has a slight chocolate finish at the back end of the pallet!
So perhaps not fully fermented? Is there such a thing as a keg bomb?

I suspect not, particularly because they are kept cold. Oh, and made of stainless...

So perhaps not fully fermented? Is there such a thing as a keg bomb?

I suspect not, particularly because they are kept cold. Oh, and made of stainless...
They also have pressure release valves

Back