What are you doing with homebrew today?

Yeah, that's l what I was thinking of.
So do you normally transfer from fermenter to keg when fermentation is still active?
I was thinking of maybe one day getting a corny keg, then use it as fermenter and spund. Then after that a closed transfer to my small kegs.
Is that feasible?
The corny keg should be big enough to ferment 10 litre. And easy enough to clean (unlike my oxebars)
I sometimes use a 5 gal keg to pressure ferment a 3 gal batch leaving headspace for krausen.

I am wishing I was brewing.
Expecting work to be super slow today I was going to try and brew today, but my back was giving me grief yesterday, so I need to be smart about that.
It is feeling better today, but brewing is probably not a good idea...
But even if you can't brew, you can still drink ;)

I am wishing I was brewing.
Expecting work to be super slow today I was going to try and brew today, but my back was giving me grief yesterday, so I need to be smart about that.
It is feeling better today, but brewing is probably not a good idea...
Always listen to your body!

I am getting ready to brave the holiday crowds as I go about securing what I need to prepare meals for the next few days. While I am out, I will be going to lhbs to pick up grains to brew my Red Wheat for Winter, which should be the first beer to be poured from my Corny keg in a few weeks.

Yeah, that's l what I was thinking of.
So do you normally transfer from fermenter to keg when fermentation is still active?
I was thinking of maybe one day getting a corny keg, then use it as fermenter and spund. Then after that a closed transfer to my small kegs.
Is that feasible?
The corny keg should be big enough to ferment 10 litre. And easy enough to clean (unlike my oxebars)
Yeah you can do that if I ferment in the keg I just chuck the keg in the keezer and serve off the top.

Your right though only done if a couple of times thus far and I find I get a lot of trub at bottom.

@Sunfire96 would be who I would ask

Internet Clapt our here last day or so Bloody storms wrecking things again but atleast we are dry and not floating up to our roofs in water Like up north! :( .

So I had this Sulphury Wheat beer I wanted to fix for Christmas
20231222_191620.jpg

Beautiful I think so I gave the guests a pre Christmas sample on the taps yesterday just a let em know what to expect.

They loved the hopped up hazy I made and they really loved the Q4 Amber they can't even tell its Gluten free they rekon lol what's Gluten free taste like I say lol!

Anyhow the wheat beer is just fart on the aroma taste is OK just that bloody sulphur is off putting sooo.

Been thinking A bicfords lime ginger juice it's all natural or
B some peppermint in my garden here.
20231223_141231.jpg

I cut a heap of leaves shoved them in a paint strainer bag in my Yetti mug and made a tea outta them with 3 generous teaspoons of honey.
Bought a 600ml pet bottle sanitized poured in the PET bottle pushed all the air out the bottle and transfered this in on top of the keg through a gas side on the beer.

I think I've solved the problem the nose is now peppermint and it's in the flavour too and I rekon really adds to the beer!
This is a really clean way I think of inserting these fragile flavours into the end beer. I think if I hopstanded these peppermint leaves then fermented the aroma and flavour would be muted more it tastes really fresh...
Enough so that I rekon I'll be brewing some more with this peppermint!

Attachments

• 20231223_141512.jpg
    20231223_141512.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Internet Clapt our here last day or so Bloody storms wrecking things again but atleast we are dry and not floating up to our roofs in water Like up north! :( .

So I had this Sulphury Wheat beer I wanted to fix for Christmas View attachment 27766
Beautiful I think so I gave the guests a pre Christmas sample on the taps yesterday just a let em know what to expect.

They loved the hopped hopped up hazy I made and they really loved the Q4 Amber they can't even tell its Gluten free they rekon lol what's Gluten free taste like I say lol!

Anyhow the wheat beer is just fart on the aroma taste is OK just that bloody sulphur is off putting sooo.

Been thinking A bicfords lime ginger juice it's all natural or
B some peppermint in my garden here.
View attachment 27767
I cut a heap of leaves shoved them in a paint strainer bag in my Yetti mug and made a tea outta them with 3 generous teaspoons of honey.
Bought a 600ml pet bottle sanitized poured in the PET bottle pushed all the air out the bottle and transfered this in on top of the keg through a gas side on the beer.

I think I've solved the problem the nose is now peppermint and it's in the flavour too and I rekon really adds to the beer!
This is a really clean way I think of inserting these fragile flavours into the end beer. I think if I hopstanded these peppermint leaves then fermented the aroma and flavour would be muted more it tastes really fresh...
Enough so that I rekon I'll be brewing some more with this peppermint!
Thats a brilliant way to save that beer! I never would have the courage to add peppermint to a beer. Well done.
What do you think was the reason for the sulfur? Yeast?

Thats a brilliant way to save that beer! I never would have the courage to add peppermint to a beer. Well done.
What do you think was the reason for the sulfur? Yeast?
Yeah maybe yeast stress fermenting in that water bath.

Do you have pictures of how you transferred the peppermint tea to the keg?

Screenshot_20231224_095105_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I use one of these fittings to get starsan into a keg to rinse out.
Carbonation cap at Amazon

Internet's been out pet bottle 600ml with just carb cap I wish I had one of them T pieces.

Once your solution is in just push all the air out then pressurise with co2 then I connect with a jumper line and I pull the PRV in the recieving keg to push the liquid in...

I am thinking about homebrew, and will be drinking a homebrew, or two. And drinking a commercial beer, or two for inspiration.
Yesterday I enjoyed a can of good, cheap beer that is made right here in town. Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve Northwest Style Lager is made here in Eugene by Hop Valley Brewing Co., and I picked up a can for a buck at the groovy local market.

Back