Question about carbing

I keep my kegerator around 40-41˚ so 12psi, according to the chart puts me at 2.44-2.48.
yup commercially that would be spot on for most standard beers. the only things that you would want higher(2.7) are things like wheat beers or preference wise some fruit beers, depending on what you prefer.

Well tell me how you really feel......lol

No, I know exactly what you mean. I'm only on my 4th batch ever so I'm still getting my feet wet. Learning more and more every time, thanks to this forum! Kegging up a NEIPA on Sunday. One thing I do know, is dry hopping does a real number on a Tilt. Gonna pull a hydrometer reading on Sunday evening. That will be 9 days so it should be good to keg.

yup commercially that would be spot on for most standard beers. the only things that you would want higher(2.7) are things like wheat beers or preference wise some fruit beers, depending on what you prefer.
belgians are generally in the 2.8-3.0 as well.

Well tell me how you really feel......lol

No, I know exactly what you mean. I'm only on my 4th batch ever so I'm still getting my feet wet. Learning more and more every time, thanks to this forum! Kegging up a NEIPA on Sunday. One thing I do know, is dry hopping does a real number on a Tilt. Gonna pull a hydrometer reading on Sunday evening. That will be 9 days so it should be good to keg.
tilts are great for trending and general info. dont trust them as a scientific instrument, lol

since you use the tiltpi, you do have the capability to use multiple calibration points. it does allow you to smooth the curve. one of mine is off by about 2 pts around 1.060 but off by more than 10 pts near 1.010.

tilts are great for trending and general info. dont trust them as a scientific instrument, lol

since you use the tiltpi, you do have the capability to use multiple calibration points. it does allow you to smooth the curve. one of mine is off by about 2 pts around 1.060 but off by more than 10 pts near 1.010.
such interesting tech. They dont work on bigger gear, generally since SS is tough to transmit through womp womp.

such interesting tech. They dont work on bigger gear, generally since SS is tough to transmit through womp womp.
depends on distance. I can pick up my tilt on my phone through my ss brewtech in the basement, while I am upstairs.

they do make repeaters and you can use Rpi (tiltpi) in repeater mode and in AP/repeater mode. allowing you to get nearly unlimited range.

Mine is like 5' from my SS Brewtech SS Brew Bucket and I'm still getting like -85 signal.

Mine is like 5' from my SS Brewtech SS Brew Bucket and I'm still getting like -85 signal.
Plenty for bluetooth. Has a limit of about -103 db. Since every 3db is 2x signal level, -85 is fine

Oh yeah, no doubt. Still get some lag sometimes though when it updates. Sometimes it's 1 second, sometimes it's 10 seconds. Just funny with the -85db being within an arms reach.

depends on distance. I can pick up my tilt on my phone through my ss brewtech in the basement, while I am upstairs.

they do make repeaters and you can use Rpi (tiltpi) in repeater mode and in AP/repeater mode. allowing you to get nearly unlimited range.
my tanks are pressure rated(30psi), glycol cool and jacketed. 3 layers of ss, foam insulation and glycol.

there are some commecial grade versions, but they are hardwired and stupid stupid expensive generally regional big breweries may use them. Most smaller breweries just run on Hydrometers or lab gear.

Oh yeah, 100%. Turn it down to about 10psi. I have a two setting regulator on my kegerator. One is for forced carb and the other goes to a 3-way manifold serving at 10psi.

Keep in mind that ANY time a beer is on CO2 and not primed, it's 'force carbed'.
I have mine at 12 psi, always, and don't use priming sugar so my kegs are always forced carbed.

Occassionally, I'm in a big hurry so will 'burst carb' by setting my regulator to 30 psi for 36 hours, then relieve the pressure and reset to 12 psi.

The reason I mention this is for clarity- in this sentence, it shoulds like you have one set to carb up and be served on c02, and one that was carbed up with priming sugar and is just for serving. Either way, the pressures should be set for what works for your temperature and carb level of course, but it sounds like all of your kegs are forced carbed, and sometimes you're burst carbing a new one at a different pressure.

If it is possible that you had a leak it would be wise to put your lines in a bucket of water to look for leaks.

If it is possible that you had a leak it would be wise to put your lines in a bucket of water to look for leaks.
I sprayed all the lines and checked them. No leaks, which is good. Just realized I had just used up the tank. Got a new tank yesterday morning and re-carbing my one keg.

I sprayed all the lines and checked them. No leaks, which is good. Just realized I had just used up the tank. Got a new tank yesterday morning and re-carbing my one keg.
Downside of co2, its stored as liquid. So you don't know you have a leak until it's empty, lol.

It will show ~750psi until its gone

20190218_135215.jpg

With my Arudino thingie I can keep an eye on the ta k by weight. 19 pounds left but sadly the keg is empty...

Back