Question about carbing

Yontsey

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a two port CO2 regulator that I use one for a serving that goes to a manifold and then one for carbing when I force carb. I force carbed a keg and then switched it to the other line. I forgot to shut of the other line and it drained my tank. Prior to that I noticed the forced keg was initially carbed very well then it was meh. When I go get a new tank, can I re-force carb it for maybe 12 hours?

IMG_2104.jpeg

Do you have a leak? I never turn any of my gas line off.

Yes you can force carb at any time. Technically having your kegs on gas is force carbing.

I’ll have to double check my lines but I didn’t see anywhere there was one…….(obviously there was one somewhere).

Hmmmmm....just went and looked over everything and I thought I had added another gas line to my main serving manifold but I did not. Nothing really changed. I'm going to swap out the tank today and then I'll hook everything back up and spray the connections to see if there's a leak anywhere. I have 2 cornys hooked up (that were hooked up the same before) and then a sankey coupler that's unhooked but I have that valve on the manifold shut off.

No leaks anywhere. Got to thinking and I might’ve just kicked the CO2 tank empty on its own. 4-5 1/6bls. Like 3 were forced carbed and had a couple CO2 issues early on. That makes more sense to me.

Re-carbing my Spotted Cow clone. It was great last week after force carbing for 24hrs then it was flat-ish 2 days later. Then at some point the CO2 kicked. Turned it back up and rolled it for 5 minutes. Gonna let it go for like 12 hours then turn it back down.

No leaks anywhere. Got to thinking and I might’ve just kicked the CO2 tank empty on its own. 4-5 1/6bls. Like 3 were forced carbed and had a couple CO2 issues early on. That makes more sense to me.

Re-carbing my Spotted Cow clone. It was great last week after force carbing for 24hrs then it was flat-ish 2 days later. Then at some point the CO2 kicked. Turned it back up and rolled it for 5 minutes. Gonna let it go for like 12 hours then turn it back down.
Ya if the co2 went away they will go flat

Is 12hr force carb ok or should I go more? Since it was already forced once.
depends how flat it is. from dead flat, I force carb @ 35PSI for 2 days(38°F), then turn down to serve pressure.

Not sure tbh. Tried to pour last night and there was no CO2

Not sure tbh. Tried to pour last night and there was no CO2
I would get your new co2 tank and then evaluate. I am betting that 12 hours wont cut it if it is flat. it really depends on what pressure and if you use agitation.

I dont agitate, cant be bothered. so high pressure for 2 days does it. if you set it at serving pressure, then it can take a week, but it will get there.

I would get your new co2 tank and then evaluate. I am betting that 12 hours wont cut it if it is flat. it really depends on what pressure and if you use agitation.

I dont agitate, cant be bothered. so high pressure for 2 days does it. if you set it at serving pressure, then it can take a week, but it will get there.
Already snagged a refill this AM and hooked it up. It's around 32psi. Ran back to work but it's been at that setting for about 2hrs. I rolled it for about 5 minutes when I hooked it up. I'll give it another roll later. I know when I did it last week, 24 hours was beautiful at first but then it tapered off and was not totally flat but wasn't getting any head.

Already snagged a refill this AM and hooked it up. It's around 32psi. Ran back to work but it's been at that setting for about 2hrs. I rolled it for about 5 minutes when I hooked it up. I'll give it another roll later. I know when I did it last week, 24 hours was beautiful at first but then it tapered off and was not totally flat but wasn't getting any head.
just a stupid question, you are leaving it on gas once carbed, correct? just at a lower serving pressure.

just a stupid question, you are leaving it on gas once carbed, correct? just at a lower serving pressure.
Oh yeah, 100%. Turn it down to about 10psi. I have a two setting regulator on my kegerator. One is for forced carb and the other goes to a 3-way manifold serving at 10psi.

Oh yeah, 100%. Turn it down to about 10psi. I have a two setting regulator on my kegerator. One is for forced carb and the other goes to a 3-way manifold serving at 10psi.
generally, 12psi would be better for a serving pressure. It wont change the carb up or down, but this really depends on how your draft system is setup.

ok, just be aware, 10 PSI will allow the beer to decarb to a volume of co2 for 10 PSI. (about 2.4 vol)

generally, 12psi would be better for a serving pressure. It wont change the carb up or down, but this really depends on how your draft system is setup.
Thanks for the tip. I'll adjust it once I get this one carbed up. I have an event with my wife tomorrow in the AM/early afternoon so maybe I'll wait and adjust the PSI when I get back. That'll give it roughly 16-17hrs at 30-35psi

Thanks for the tip. I'll adjust it once I get this one carbed up. I have an event with my wife tomorrow in the AM/early afternoon so maybe I'll wait and adjust the PSI when I get back. That'll give it roughly 16-17hrs at 30-35psi
Figure out your average temp in your cooler box and then pull a carbonation chart up and pick your carb level(most commercial beers are close to 2.4vols w/ Soda sitting >3vols). Find that pressure temp carb point and set the gas to that and it should be fine and wont over or under carb.

I carbonate by mouthfeel(dont have the volume to waste or bucks to buy a zahm and nagle). My carbonations are pretty on point. i carbonate until the beer sparkles/tingles on my tongue when i first taste it. Generally this would be over carbonated if i went to pour it right off the tank, but i know that i will loose some carb to kegging the beer and we use beer gas(20psi) to push through a long draw system(>80ft) so some of it will be lost there as well as to the tap.

I know this is sort of a vague thing that is hard without doing it, but if you crack open a domestic can and immediately take a sip, you want it to be slightly more sparkly then that on your tongue.

random over sharings!

Back