Hi from la Paz BCS Mexico

Brewer #355068

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing after a 15-year hiatus. I have noticed that a lot of brewers here in Mexico are fermenting, both primary and secondary, in PET containers. Is it advisable to use these containers that way?

Thanks in advance
Calvin

Welcome to the forum and glad your back brewing! Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is very common material for homebrew fermenters; high-density polyethylene (HDPE) is the other type of plastic used in fermenters. I have not heard that one is better than the other.

Welcome!
I have been using PET fermenters for a few years and they are wonderful, especially because they allow you to ferment under pressure for little money.
I have been using them since I gave up the plastic buckets since I can't afford to buy a steel fermenter. I would recommend them, although I don't doubt that the steel ones are better. Regards

Welcome!
I use a Kegland Allrounder which is PET, I like it a lot!

Welcome m! PET is a fine pkastic for brewing, so no worries there.

Welcome to Brewer's Friend and welcome back to brewing.

I primary ferment in a basic plastic bin and most of my bottles are PET of various sizes, some of which I have had many years. They are tough, lighter to carry than glass, last long and do the job. You can always progress to something else in time if not fully satisfied and the PET items could then help somebody else get started.

I use a Fermonster. It is plastic, has a wide mouth for cleaning, and allows me to see the fermentation. They are light and designed to brew in. Don't need secondary unless you are doing something really big or crazy. That is what the kegs and bottles are for.

For best results, it is generally recommended to use food-grade stainless steel, glass, or high-quality food-grade plastic (such as HDPE) fermentation vessels for both primary and secondary fermentation. These materials are more suitable for homebrewing and provide better protection against oxygen, contamination, and temperature fluctuations.

Heyyathere Calvin! Welcome back! What are you going to put together for your relaunch batch and are you going to take advantage of the new Kveik yeast strains that can take the higher fermentation temperatures?

Back