Favorites for a Hazy NEIPA?

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Two questions:
1) What is your favorite yeast for a Hazy NEIPA?
2) What is your favorite hop combination, and how do you add them?
Am fine-tuning my hazy recipe, and would welcome your thoughts, thanks!

I've made 2 hazys so far that came out fantastic and both times I've used London Ale III yeast. Both times I did little or no hops in the boil, but did add during a hop stand. Both times I DDH'd as well. Citra is always my go-to. Second batch, I did a Citra-Sabro-Mosaic combo that came out real nice.

I've made 2 hazys so far that came out fantastic and both times I've used London Ale III yeast. Both times I did little or no hops in the boil, but did add during a hop stand. Both times I DDH'd as well. Citra is always my go-to. Second batch, I did a Citra-Sabro-Mosaic combo that came out real nice.
I have used Safale 04, and am intrigued by what might be hazier, since mine is too clear. Wyeast London Ale III is used quite a bit for hazies. Omega has done some research on the genetics of yeast that produces haze, and London Ale III was the focus of their research ... Through trial and error, one yeast strain, OYL-011 (trade names include British V, London Ale III, Foggy London, and Juice), became widely popular for Hazy IPAs due to its fruity fermentation profile, lower attenuation, and ability to produce a reliable, stable haze.
Here is their research if you're interested: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.07.10.548400v1.full

IMG_1920.jpeg
That’s the color of my most recent batch with London Ale III

White Labs has a Coastal Haze yeast that I liked. I missed because I went too low on the hops, but the actual Cascade Mosaic combination I did like. I just needed more.

I have used Safale 04, and am intrigued by what might be hazier, since mine is too clear. Wyeast London Ale III is used quite a bit for hazies. Omega has done some research on the genetics of yeast that produces haze, and London Ale III was the focus of their research ... Through trial and error, one yeast strain, OYL-011 (trade names include British V, London Ale III, Foggy London, and Juice), became widely popular for Hazy IPAs due to its fruity fermentation profile, lower attenuation, and ability to produce a reliable, stable haze.
Here is their research if you're interested: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.07.10.548400v1.full
I'll have to read that when I get a chance. Thanks! Brewing currently, today. So been tied up.

I have made many Hazy NEIPA's I find the 1318 work and tastes the best (London III). As for hops, I bitter with Columbus or Magnum, and us any combo of Cirtra, Mosaic, Amarillo and latley S. Wolf.

For hops I use Magnum for bitter, and have so far tried different mixes of Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo and Idaho 7. Am tempted to try a New Zealand mix.

You don't need a starter for liquid these days. White Labs does a "Pure Pitch" now which is essentially a big pitch. Wyeast has the smack pack. With a bigger pitch rate, you don't need a starter. I never use one, and I use both dry and liquid depending on the recipe. With liquid, you do need a HB store as shipping in the summer for a liquid yeast could be a problem.
You pour it in from a pouch just like dry yeast except it is liquid.

Styrian Wolf hops look intriguing with high oil content and aromas. I only see 2022 crop available though.

Nice color and solid haze.
Thank you. It came out fantastic. Just bought supplies yesterday from Yakima for my next two batches. Different recipe but doing the same two batch with two different hop variants.

You don't need a starter for liquid these days. White Labs does a "Pure Pitch" now which is essentially a big pitch. Wyeast has the smack pack. With a bigger pitch rate, you don't need a starter. I never use one, and I use both dry and liquid depending on the recipe. With liquid, you do need a HB store as shipping in the summer for a liquid yeast could be a problem.
You pour it in from a pouch just like dry yeast except it is liquid.
I've used these smack packs from Wyeast 3 times now. Two of them were London Ale III and this last one was a Kolsch. The Kolsch one actually showed up with the packet that's inside already popped but it was shipped with an ice pack and was immediately put into the refrigerator. Sat for about a month but when I pulled it out on Sunday, after 15 minutes it immediately started swelling. They're actually pretty amazing. Sterile starters in a bag.

I've used these smack packs from Wyeast 3 times now. Two of them were London Ale III and this last one was a Kolsch. The Kolsch one actually showed up with the packet that's inside already popped but it was shipped with an ice pack and was immediately put into the refrigerator. Sat for about a month but when I pulled it out on Sunday, after 15 minutes it immediately started swelling. They're actually pretty amazing. Sterile starters in a bag.
With the Wyeast, you really have to be careful with the dates on the packages. They don't have a huge shelf life.

With the Wyeast, you really have to be careful with the dates on the packages. They don't have a huge shelf life.
Packaging gives you about six months. I'm sure sooner the better. I bought four back at the end of April. Have used two so far. Hoping to use another this weekend and then maybe one couple weeks after that.

Need to look out for those inner plastic packages with the Wyeast. One of the few times I used liquid, I cut the top off, wasn't thinking of the two-part packaging, and the inner plastic sleeve slid into the wort as I pitched it. Had to stick my hand in to retrieve it. Not in the plan, man.

I hear ya. Almost happened to me Sunday to be honest. Luckily I caught it right before it snuck out.

Yeast actually doesn't have a lot to do with creating haze, having said that I use VOSS for my Hazies.
No boil hops (30 minute boil)
Whirlpool hops approx 7-8 grams per liter, 20 minutes at 80C
Dry hops one addition approx 11 grams per liter
VOSS works pretty quick when fermenting at 39C, I will add dry hops near the end of fermentation.
I found that adding dry hops too soon seemed to "blow the aroma out" with the Co2 escaping.
I like combinations of hops, i pick and choose between Citra, Rakau, Amarillo, Mosaic, Simcoe.
While I like Galaxy, I just don't find that it is really any better than above, and it is not worth the extra cost.
Water profile (start with 100 Calcium, and use a 3:0 ratio of Sulfates to Chlorides).
Flaked wheat and oats (10-15% each) as well as wheat malt (another 10%), along with the heavy hand of hops in the whirlpool, and in the fermenter are what give you the haze.
Haze is not the goal, but the result of what you do to get the desired soft mouthfeel and the juicy flavors from he hops.

My most recent 4.5% hazy which kicked last week.
1719331694876.png

Yeast actually doesn't have a lot to do with creating haze, having said that I use VOSS for my Hazies.
No boil hops (30 minute boil)
Whirlpool hops approx 7-8 grams per liter, 20 minutes at 80C
Dry hops one addition approx 11 grams per liter
VOSS works pretty quick when fermenting at 39C, I will add dry hops near the end of fermentation.
I found that adding dry hops too soon seemed to "blow the aroma out" with the Co2 escaping.
I like combinations of hops, i pick and choose between Citra, Rakau, Amarillo, Mosaic, Simcoe.
While I like Galaxy, I just don't find that it is really any better than above, and it is not worth the extra cost.
Water profile (start with 100 Calcium, and use a 3:0 ratio of Sulfates to Chlorides).
Flaked wheat and oats (10-15% each) as well as wheat malt (another 10%), along with the heavy hand of hops in the whirlpool, and in the fermenter are what give you the haze.
Haze is not the goal, but the result of what you do to get the desired soft mouthfeel and the juicy flavors from he hops.

My most recent 4.5% hazy which kicked last week.
View attachment 29764
Session hazy..Very nice!

Back