Dry Hop under pressure

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good way to dry hop when under pressure?
I ferment in All Rounders, but dry hopping is a pain!
Anyone have a diy way of doing this, I might try magnetizing a bag to the bottom of the lid but not sure I can get it to stay.

Any ideas?

(No I don't want to move to conical, tried them didn't like it)

Ive degassed and throw in while fermentation was still active but high krausen
had passed, purge headspace and seal back. No bags just poured in.

Can make something like this?

20240312_130346.jpg

Ive degassed and throw in while fermentation was still active but high krausen
had passed, purge headspace and seal back. No bags just poured in.
This is how I add dry hop additions to my allrounder. I transfer out to keg using a floating dip tube, so I don't bag hops either.

How about a "hop torpedo"? Sierra Nevada has brewed this beer for a number of years. Credit to them at https://sierranevada.com/brews/atomic-torpedo
This should work for anyone that can do a pressure system. I won't be putting 75 lbs. of hops in my torpedo. Should be relatively easy and straight forward to make this setup for a home brew system.

How about a "hop torpedo"? Sierra Nevada has brewed this beer for a number of years. Credit to them at https://sierranevada.com/brews/atomic-torpedo
This should work for anyone that can do a pressure system. I won't be putting 75 lbs. of hops in my torpedo. Should be relatively easy and straight forward to make this setup for a home brew system.
just make sure they are whole. pellet hops clog in about 2.3 secs

Anyone have a good way to dry hop when under pressure?
I ferment in All Rounders, but dry hopping is a pain!
Anyone have a diy way of doing this, I might try magnetizing a bag to the bottom of the lid but not sure I can get it to stay.

Any ideas?

(No I don't want to move to conical, tried them didn't like it)

I'm currently in the same position. Next brew with my All Rounder will be the first that I will dry hop. I'm thinking of using the magnet technique but, plan to attach high on the body instead of the lid. Unless the magnet is very strong, I think the lid will be too thick.

Based on other recent posts I plan on dry hopping after primary fermentation, a couple days before kegging, so don't really want to open up and toss them in. I do have floating dip tubes so, I guess I could dry hop in one keg and then pressure transfer to another keg after a couple days. But that gets in the PITA category that I would like to avoid.

Can make something like this?

View attachment 29860
Looks like you could put a entire oz in that bowl!

Looks cool, I think Craig might use the 75lb of hops!!

I'm currently in the same position. Next brew with my All Rounder will be the first that I will dry hop. I'm thinking of using the magnet technique but, plan to attach high on the body instead of the lid. Unless the magnet is very strong, I think the lid will be too thick.

Based on other recent posts I plan on dry hopping after primary fermentation, a couple days before kegging, so don't really want to open up and toss them in. I do have floating dip tubes so, I guess I could dry hop in one keg and then pressure transfer to another keg after a couple days. But that gets in the PITA category that I would like to avoid.
I am trying to come up with something like this as well, but I would jut dump the hops right in. I find the hops loose something when in a bag or container.

I guess you can always buy more equipment or just slowly release the pressure, dump in the hops reseal and then pump CO2 in pull PRV and you're good to go. That's my method.

Changing the course of this thread slightly. When pressure fermenting, when do you turn on the pressure? Do you do it from the beginning, after high-kreuzen, after x days, etc?

Back on topic...Yesterday I brewed a Pinapple SMaTH DDH. I am fermenting in a Fermzilla All-Rounder with a spunding valve. Currently I have the valve wide open, so currently no pressure fermentation. My plan is to add 3 oz of El Dorado tomorrow (day 2 after pitching). At that time I'll also put the second round of dry hops (2 oz El Dorado and 2 oz BRU-1) into a hop bag and suspend it inside the fermenter with a magnet. At that point I'll set the spunding valve to 10 PSI. Then, on day 10(?) I'll pull the magnet to drop them into the beer. I'll keg two days later.

Edit: Yeast is Omega Hornindal Kveik OYL-091

Changing the course of this thread slightly. When pressure fermenting, when do you turn on the pressure? Do you do it from the beginning, after high-kreuzen, after x days, etc?

Back on topic...Yesterday I brewed a Pinapple SMaTH DDH. I am fermenting in a Fermzilla All-Rounder with a spunding valve. Currently I have the valve wide open, so currently no pressure fermentation. My plan is to add 3 oz of El Dorado tomorrow (day 2 after pitching). At that time I'll also put the second round of dry hops (2 oz El Dorado and 2 oz BRU-1) into a hop bag and suspend it inside the fermenter with a magnet. At that point I'll set the spunding valve to 10 PSI. Then, on day 10(?) I'll pull the magnet to drop them into the beer. I'll keg two days later.

If I'm dry hopping I'll set it to 5 psi from the beginning, then increase to 12 psi after dry hopping, then up to 25/30ish when fermentation is almost finished. If I'm not dry hopping, then 12 psi from the start. Unless I'm using a yeast strain with characteristic flavor (which is very rare), then I would wait to add pressure until the end of fermentation

I let it build up to 15 psi when I pressure ferment. When not pressure fermenting just spunding, I set it at high Krausen. I close off to get carbonation At around 25 psi.

Changing the course of this thread slightly. When pressure fermenting, when do you turn on the pressure?
I usually leave the spunding valve wide open at first, once fermentation is active I turn in the screw to get it to 12PSI and let it ride there until it is time to cold crash. I will connect co2 and crank it up to about 35PSI when reducing the temperature. Then keep checking it make sure it stays at or above 12 PSI as it cools.

Well my attempt at a double dry hop has failed and has instead become a single dry hop. On day 2 of fermentation I added 3 oz of El Dorado hops at high kreuzen. At that time I also put 2 oz of El Dorado and 2 oz of Bru-1 in a hop sock and, using a magnet, attached it to the inside of the fermenter. It was hard to tell but, the bottom of the bag was either 1 mm above or 1 mm below the top of the kreuzen. I expect it was the latter because 6 hours later the bag had detached from the magnet and was in fully in the beer. :( I assume the bag and hops wicked up liquid until they became too heavy for the magnet to hold. Oh well, another lesson learned the hard way. I'll still have beer; it just won't have all the aromatics I was hoping for.

Ya hops get heavy when wet. Bigger magnet? But like you said ….its still beer!!

Back