Cheers from Cleveland, OH

Thanks for the tip. I left a solid gallon in the bottom of the fermentor so I tried not to get to the gunk at the bottom. We'll see how much settles.

You could use a floating dip tube.
Won't help much now, but maybe for your next brew

I would take a sample or two once you reach a week in the keg. That way you can get a handle on your carbonation.
Don't know what you are running from the keg, but if a very short line or a picnic tap, you are going to want to dial the CO2 way down after it carbonates. If you don't, you will have a foam bomb. This is assuming you are using very short lines like me.

I would take a sample or two once you reach a week in the keg. That way you can get a handle on your carbonation.
Don't know what you are running from the keg, but if a very short line or a picnic tap, you are going to want to dial the CO2 way down after it carbonates. If you don't, you will have a foam bomb. This is assuming you are using very short lines like me.
I'm gonna pour out some tonight (2 days in) to try and clear out a little sediment that has dropped so far. It's a short line in a kegerator that goes to a T with another short line. In total, it's maybe 5-6'. It's been holding at 12psi for the last two days. Not going for the forced carb approach since I have plenty of time for it do it's thing.

I'm gonna pour out some tonight (2 days in) to try and clear out a little sediment that has dropped so far. It's a short line in a kegerator that goes to a T with another short line. In total, it's maybe 5-6'. It's been holding at 12psi for the last two days. Not going for the forced carb approach since I have plenty of time for it do it's thing.
If you are getting good pours, don't change a thing.
If you find your pours to be very foamy you could just make longer lines.
I find a 10 foot length of 3/16"ID beer line works for me at approximately 12 PSI serving pressure.
What the extra line length does is reduce the pressure at the tap.
There is a chart for this somewhere

IMG_1516.jpeg

A lot of gunk came out but poured smoothly. Little carb so it’ll take some time. Could’ve used more hops I’m thinking. Not bad. Not great.

The taste is ok. Nose is fantastic. Does the taste change at all while it carbs and rests? It’s not bad by any means.

The taste is ok. Nose is fantastic. Does the taste change at all while it carbs and rests? It’s not bad by any means.
Yes. It gets better over a few weeks, stays stable for many weeks, then slowly declines over a year.

Mine rarely lasts that long...

looks good!
after it settles for a another day or two you will likely a bit more "gunk" on the first pour

IMG_1558.jpeg
It’s tasting better but still kinda flat after 5 days. Holding steady at 12psi. Will it be good by Saturday or should I bump it up some?

View attachment 29307It’s tasting better but still kinda flat after 5 days. Holding steady at 12psi. Will it be good by Saturday or should I bump it up some?
Bump it to 25 for 2 days, or 35 for a day, then drop to carbonation pressure (12 psi at 35 F or so).

I often carbonate at 40 psi for a day or two.

View attachment 29307It’s tasting better but still kinda flat after 5 days. Holding steady at 12psi. Will it be good by Saturday or should I bump it up some?
I agree with Don, as it has been under pressure for 5 days, maybe try 25PSI for a day and try a sample, then another day at 25SI if it isn't there yet.

I turned it up to 30-35 yesterday evening. I’ll check it when I get home from work and adjust it.

sounds like you have a pretty decent beer there!!!!

When I took that first sip last Thursday after 2 days, I was pretty worried tbh. Granted, I have never tasted a beer that fresh right off the fermentation process but it was raw? is maybe the best way to describe it. You could taste all the sediment and greenness, not in a good way. But after taking another pour yesterday, I'm much more optimistic. Tastes way better. Nose is great. Color is right there and way less sediment this go around.

View attachment 29311

Wife called and said….uh something’s leaking. It was bubbling up a bit from the out port. Poured a pint. Looks great. Turned it down to 20psi and burped the keg for a quick pull.
Most times resetting the poppet stops the leak. Put on the gas fitting and pop it off, or reduce pressure and blip it in with a screwdriver or similar.

Worst case: depressurize completely, remove the gas post, put some lube (vaseline or keg lube) on the poppet gasket, that almost always fixes it. Or buy a new poppet.

I think it was just too pressurized. I pulled the prv for a second and turned it down and all is well. I reduced it back down to 12psi.

Poured another glass to see where the pressure was and it foamed up a good chunk. That's when I reduced it to 12psi. Tomorrow will be a week. Gonna give it til Thursday/Friday and check it again. Give it some time to rest at 12.

Last edited:
I learned to be patient and not be all over the place with the pressures. There are lots of ways to do it, but I like simple.
When you keg, carb to 30PSI and turn gas OFF. This will set the lid. When the cold and adsorption drops your pressure back down to 12 the next day, turn the gas back on to 12, set it, and forget it for a week. If the line is short, you will need to reduce the pressure substantially to serve.

Back