Adding new Tilt to Pi when another Tilt is using it...

Yontsey

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible, or what's the best way to go about adding another Tilt to a Raspberry Pi when another Tilt is currently in a fermentation? I did a brew session yesterday and have my Tilt going, but I want to brew again next weekend and add a second Tilt. Can I pop out the storage card and add my second Tilt like I normally would and the first one go back to work like before or is that going to mess it up?

Last edited:
Is it possible, or what's the best way to go about adding another Tilt to a Raspberry Pi when another Tilt is currently in a fermentation? I did a brew session yesterday and have my Tilt going, but I want to brew again next weekend and add a second Tilt. Can I pop out the storage card and add my second Tilt like I normally would and the first one go back to work like before or is that going to mess it up?
You have to get a different color. They're are 8 different color tilts and they can all operate at once

You have to get a different color. They're are 8 different color tilts and they can all operate at once
Yeah I have a Blue currently and just ordered an Orange. Every time I set up my Tilt I pop in the memory card into my computer and load the WPA WiFi File and the Tilt Config File. I guess what I'm asking unless I'm doing something oddly wrong but still working is that, can I pop out that card mid-fermentation while Tilt 1 (Blue) is going and add the Tilt Config File for Tilt 2 (Orange) and pop it back in. And then wild 1 pick right back up where it was while 2 starts on its new batch? Sorry if this is confusing.

Tilts don't use wifi. They use Bluetooth. This is why you need the Rpi board to connect to your network. Once the Rpi board is configured, you should never need to change it unless you change routers

When a tilt is powered on it automatically pops into the dashboard

Are you using the tiltpi image from the tilt website?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm using the tiltpi image from the website. I just assumed I had to set it up each time I did a new brew through the Setup file. But yeah I have all that running and then I add the Tilt Color and the name of the new beer. I'm assuming I'll have to pop out the card and add the new Tilt and beer name to it as well. Just wanted to make sure when I popped the card back into the Rpi, that it would pick back up where it left off.

Yeah I'm using the tiltpi image from the website. I just assumed I had to set it up each time I did a new brew through the Setup file. But yeah I have all that running and then I add the Tilt Color and the name of the new beer. I'm assuming I'll have to pop out the card and add the new Tilt and beer name to it as well. Just wanted to make sure when I popped the card back into the Rpi, that it would pick back up where it left off.
No, once you set it up, you never have to remove the mem card. Just power the Rpi and plop the tilt in the brew. It takes a few seconds to connect. You can config each batch in the settings menu based on each color.

Just go to the webpage for the Rpi on your network.

No, once you set it up, you never have to remove the mem card. Just power the Rpi and plop the tilt in the brew. It takes a few seconds to connect. You can config each batch in the settings menu based on each color.

Well now I feel like an idiot....I didn't know that's how that worked. I thought you had to configure it each time you used it. I see the log Quick Start there. I'll have to try it with the new one when I get it and test it in a glass of water to calibrate it.

Thanks for the quick lesson! I'll report back Thursday.

Maybe I have something set up wrong, but I put my new Tilt in my new batch, got it all setup with the name, email, cloud google sheet log and it gave me the link but it’s not updating every 15 minutes like it was. Only when I get within Bluetooth range, not cloud.

Maybe I have something set up wrong, but I put my new Tilt in my new batch, got it all setup with the name, email, cloud google sheet log and it gave me the link but it’s not updating every 15 minutes like it was. Only when I get within Bluetooth range, not cloud.
Verify it is reading it on the tiltpi server.

Then go into "logging" and make sure "default logging" and "start logging to cloud" are turned on. (If you are not using the default google address, then turn that off and put in the correct address)

Also verify that your cloud address is correct.

Verify it is reading it on the tiltpi server.

Then go into "logging" and make sure "default logging" and "start logging to cloud" are turned on. (If you are not using the default google address, then turn that off and put in the correct address)

Also verify that your cloud address is correct.
Sounds dumb but not sure how to verify it’s reading on the Pi but I just turned on default logging. Everything else was on and set up.

Sounds dumb but not sure how to verify it’s reading on the Pi but I just turned on default logging. Everything else was on and set up.
When you go to the main page. You should see the color of the tilt and the gravity/ temp.

If you have more than one active, they should both be there

When you go to the main page. You should see the color of the tilt and the gravity/ temp.

If you have more than one active, they should both be there
Yeah I don’t think it’s seeing it. Always before when it would email me the links for the google doc, I would get one with an IP address as well. Didn’t get that this time.

Do I need to pop the memory card and load the new color profile onto the RPi?

Do I need to pop the memory card and load the new color profile onto the RPi?
Let start over. What Rpi do you have?

You used these instructions to burn the image?

https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-pi-v2-bookworm-may24-raspberry-pi-sd-card-image-download

There is not a color profile for each tilt. It will simultaneously log 8 tilts per tiltpi.
SmartSelect_20240705_191108_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240705_191134_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20240705_191217_Firefox.jpg

Let start over. What Rpi do you have?

You used these instructions to burn the image?

https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-pi-v2-bookworm-may24-raspberry-pi-sd-card-image-download

There is not a color profile for each tilt. It will simultaneously log 8 tilts per tiltpi.View attachment 29872View attachment 29873View attachment 29874
I have this RPi:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMVDHWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I burned that image onto it from the Tilt site. I go to the Setup file on the Tilt and it asks for Network Name and password and downloads a WPA file and then there's another one where it asks for Beer Name and Tilt Color and it downloads a file ie: cloud_log_orange.json

I load both of those files on the the memory card and put it back into the Pi and then I get the email with the Google Doc link, the local IP link, and then another email from Noah Baron with the Google doc link.

I just re-did it and I'm hooked up now on my Tilt on the Pi. Would like to figure this out for the future though. I love the Tilt but obviously I'm doing something wrong and it's very frustrating.

I have this RPi:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMVDHWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I burned that image onto it from the Tilt site. I go to the Setup file on the Tilt and it asks for Network Name and password and downloads a WPA file and then there's another one where it asks for Beer Name and Tilt Color and it downloads a file ie: cloud_log_orange.json

I load both of those files on the the memory card and put it back into the Pi and then I get the email with the Google Doc link, the local IP link, and then another email from Noah Baron with the Google doc link.

I just re-did it and I'm hooked up now on my Tilt on the Pi. Would like to figure this out for the future though. I love the Tilt but obviously I'm doing something wrong and it's very frustrating.
ok, good, that is the same one I use. the W-zero is cheap and does the job.

ok, the second file is optional. you can add it when you setup the Rpi or you can do in the "logging" tab of the web server <ip>:1880/ui/ (where<ip> is your local ip address for the tiltpi server)

You can see mine here if you like. Just don't change anything
http://remote.minbarisplace.com:8887/ui

when you get a new tilt, just go to the logging tab and select the new color tilt and you have to setup where that one is going to log to. weather it is to a google sheets page or brewers friend (I log to brew father) each on has to be setup individually, even if they log to the same place.

you logging interval is setup in the logging tab as well. I think the defualt is 15 min.

just let me stress, once you have it setup, you dont have to set it up again. other than if you want to change the name of the beer on the color tilt you are using. when you drop a tilt in the fermentor, it will start broadcasting and the tiltpi server will hear it and it will show up automatically

ok, good, that is the same one I use. the W-zero is cheap and does the job.

ok, the second file is optional. you can add it when you setup the Rpi or you can do in the "logging" tab of the web server <ip>:1880/ui/ (where<ip> is your local ip address for the tiltpi server)

You can see mine here if you like. Just don't change anything
http://remote.minbarisplace.com:8887/ui

when you get a new tilt, just go to the logging tab and select the new color tilt and you have to setup where that one is going to log to. weather it is to a google sheets page or brewers friend (I log to brew father) each on has to be setup individually, even if they log to the same place.

you logging interval is setup in the logging tab as well. I think the defualt is 15 min.

just let me stress, once you have it setup, you dont have to set it up again. other than if you want to change the name of the beer on the color tilt you are using. when you drop a tilt in the fermentor, it will start broadcasting and the tiltpi server will hear it and it will show up automatically
Ok so I just took my original Tilt (Blue) and tossed it in a glass of water to test this out. Popped right up. I named it "Water Test" and entered my email. Got the emails right way. They both show up under the local IP address for the Pi.

When I was doing it before with the last one, I saw the new Tilt in the app and set it up that way but it didn't show up under the local IP address.

I'm gonna give this one 15 minutes and see if it auto-updates my Google Doc. The last one would only update when I opened the app as opposed to pushing an update every 15 minutes.

I appreciate you working with me through this issue.

SMH....the water test updated 15 minutes on the dot to the cloud Google doc. No clue why the new one wouldn't show up and log. Either way, they're both properly working....for now.

Ok so I just took my original Tilt (Blue) and tossed it in a glass of water to test this out. Popped right up. I named it "Water Test" and entered my email. Got the emails right way. They both show up under the local IP address for the Pi.

When I was doing it before with the last one, I saw the new Tilt in the app and set it up that way but it didn't show up under the local IP address.

I'm gonna give this one 15 minutes and see if it auto-updates my Google Doc. The last one would only update when I opened the app as opposed to pushing an update every 15 minutes.

I appreciate you working with me through this issue.
if you were using the "titlt2" app on your phone, as opposed to the stand alone tiltpi server, then yes. it will only log when it is in range and the app is open. the tiltpi with an Rpi is a much better solution. also, be aware. the wzero only has soo much bluetooth power. if you are using stainless fermentors, keep the tiltpi as close as possible.

I have the Pi about practically right next to it, about 5-6' away.

I tried to use the local IP address and wasn't getting anything but now that they're both up on there and running, in the future I should be good to go. Sorry for the headache. Thank you.

Back