Yeast info

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of recipes in books ask for liquid yeast, which is expensive,when i buy and ask for a ale yeast it usually s04 that they send,is there a big difference between the liquid to the dry yeast and is the flavor that much better

A lot of recipes in books ask for liquid yeast, which is expensive,when i buy and ask for a ale yeast it usually s04 that they send,is there a big difference between the liquid to the dry yeast and is the flavor that much better
greatly depends on the beer you are making. liquid yeast has alot more options than dry. mostly it is preference.

Most dry yeasts are great these days, every bit as good as liquid yeasts. The only drawback is there is less variety in dry yeasts. You can use S-04 or US-05 or whatever for a lot of styles, but... if you want a Belgian or a wheat beer, or a proper lager, etc., you'll have to use something else. Fortunately all those styles have great dry options as well. But if you wanted a dry Scottish ale yeast, or something unique like Ringwood 1187... sometimes there is no dry version and you're stuck either with liquid or not making quite the same beer as you might have intended.

A lot of recipes in books ask for liquid yeast, which is expensive,when i buy and ask for a ale yeast it usually s04 that they send,is there a big difference between the liquid to the dry yeast and is the flavor that much better Tiny Fishing
Personalmente, creo que la levadura líquida tiene mejor sabor que la levadura seca. Por eso hay muchos libros de cocina que tienen este sabor. Si no lo tienes, está bien reemplazarlo por otro sabor.

Last edited:
S-04, and S-05 will make a variety of beer and fairly well. If you are making something specific, the liquid yeasts give you tons of options. The liquid does make a difference with a number of styles. I pitch heavy anyway, and the new White Labs Pure Pitch is the same as 2 dry yeast packets at very close to the same price at my HB store.

S-04, and S-05 will make a variety of beer and fairly well. If you are making something specific, the liquid yeasts give you tons of options. The liquid does make a difference with a number of styles. I pitch heavy anyway, and the new White Labs Pure Pitch is the same as 2 dry yeast packets at very close to the same price at my HB store.
Triple at my store: $18 vs $6. :(

Triple at my store: $18 vs $6. :(
Triple double than at ritebrew.
Screenshot_20241016-105511.png

Triple double than at ritebrew.View attachment 30566
Sorry, you guys are right. The last dry yeast I bought was 34/70, and that is more expensive at $5.99 for a single pack. The 04 and 05 are a lot cheaper. My WLP004 was $12.99 which is equal to two packets. I have been playing around a lot with liquid and 34/70 and haven't used 04 and 05 in some time.
I like what the English liquid does much better than 04. 04 works, but 004 just takes it to another level.

I really like the APEX dry yeasts. I have had really good repeatable results with their Voss, Chico, Munich Lager, Belgian, etc. I dont love the Berlin lager, but that was probably on me not giving it time or fermenting too warm(i will probably give it another chance in the future). For the price, it is unbeatable. I have a block of their Kolsch yeast that is very tempting to use.

Sorry, you guys are right. The last dry yeast I bought was 34/70, and that is more expensive at $5.99 for a single pack. The 04 and 05 are a lot cheaper. My WLP004 was $12.99 which is equal to two packets. I have been playing around a lot with liquid and 34/70 and haven't used 04 and 05 in some time.
I like what the English liquid does much better than 04. 04 works, but 004 just takes it to another level.
Ritebrew
Screenshot_20241016-140228.png

Nice.
It is always good to hear other options. For now, I am lucky enough to place an order, pick a day to go get it, and drive 20 minutes up the road. If on the weekend, I normally go to a brewery right after I bring the stuff home.

Nice.
It is always good to hear other options. For now, I am lucky enough to place an order, pick a day to go get it, and drive 20 minutes up the road. If on the weekend, I normally go to a brewery right after I bring the stuff home.
This is the way! if you get friendly with the brewers at that brewery they will happily give you yeast FYI

A couple probably would.
I am kind of a nutty planner about things. All my stuff is in the garage the week before I brew, and I fill the fermenter with StarSan for a few days before I brew. If I brewed more, I would definitely look into that. As is, having everything prepared and the yeast ready to dump without doing a starter is the way I like to relax on brew day.
I do have expensive taste in yeast:)

A couple probably would.
I am kind of a nutty planner about things. All my stuff is in the garage the week before I brew, and I fill the fermenter with StarSan for a few days before I brew. If I brewed more, I would definitely look into that. As is, having everything prepared and the yeast ready to dump without doing a starter is the way I like to relax on brew day.
I do have expensive taste in yeast:)
I use screw top 7.5gal buckets to store my grain. 2 of them will hold a 55lb bag. Got them from uline!

Back