What are Mounted Kettle Thermometers For?

JWR_12

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So this may seem obvious, and I thought it was obvious, but I'm starting to be a little confused. What are the kettle thermometers that get mounted into brew kettles (the ones you screw in through a port and have a probe that goes into the kettle) for?

Here's why I'm confused.

Obviously, you don't need it to know when the wort is boiling.

You could, conceivably, use it when heating liquid to a certain temperature -- for example, for a mash.

The problem, though, is that the probes end up being half way up the kettle. So if you're not boiling a full or almost full kettle, the probes aren't measuring the liquid temperature.

I've also noticed that if I mash in the kettle, even if the probe is covered, I wouldn't necessarily trust the kettle thermometer reading, because there's a lot of heat variance top to bottom, between the more liquidy parts and the more grainy parts.

With all these limitations, I guess I find myself not really sure what if anything to use the mounted thermometer for, as opposed to a long stick thermometer that I can plop in and out to get better readings.

And although I love the look of the kettle mounted thermometer -- it's pretty boss! -- I've also noted that it takes a whole regimen to make sure it doesn't leak. Silicon tape, etc. So, long story short, limited utility + extra setup = why am I doing this again?

Thanks very much for insights!

Your guess is correct. Used to measure mash temp mostly. You could use it to measure temp for a kettle sour too.

While stratification does exist, if you stir occasionally or use a continuous recirculation system (RIMs/HERMs) then it is really not an issue.

My system, for example, use 3 temp probe. Kettle, kettle outlet and herms outlet. the software uses the temp from all the of those to make a decision on how to adjust heat.

I never used a kettle thermometer when I BIAB’d for fear of ripping the bag. I even found those long probe, deep fryer-like thermometers to be PITA. So, I went with an instant read They’re affordable and quick.

I never used a kettle thermometer when I BIAB’d for fear of ripping the bag. I even found those long probe, deep fryer-like thermometers to be PITA. So, I went with an instant read They’re affordable and quick.
The one i have is only 1" long. Doesn't even stick past where you mount it

The one i have is only 1" long. Doesn't even stick past where you mount it
I actually have a plug where the thermometer would be. A thermometer with a long handle can clip to the top of the kettle, be used when you want to use it, and they are cheap.

I actually have a plug where the thermometer would be. A thermometer with a long handle can clip to the top of the kettle, be used when you want to use it, and they are cheap.
Whatever works for ya. No one way to skin a cat

I batch sparge in a picnic cooler so, I only use my kettle for boiling. I use the kettle thermometer to know how close I am to reaching a boil (and therefore not walk away from the kettle). I chill using an immersion chiller and use the kettle thermometer to know when to stop chilling. Both functions could be accomplished with a handheld thermometer but, the kettle thermometer too convenient.

So for sealing it, the best way is to wrap it with a minimum of 3 wraps of good quality tape(i use the blue monster brand). Be sure to wrap it clockwise, think of it as if you were screwing it into your belly while you hold it(hope that makes sense). Then coat the outside with food safe pipe dope(i use the blue one with the knight on the front because its super easy to clean up and is rated for glycol). You can also use a thermal well and a thermometer with thermal paste.

all of it should be stainless. there is no need to take it out as everything on the hot side is...hot.

Teflon tape is teflon tape. I get excellent results with Harbor Freight brand…

But yes, wrap tape clockwise and 3 layers, good advice.

Teflon tape is teflon tape. I get excellent results with Harbor Freight brand…

But yes, wrap tape clockwise and 3 layers, good advice.
yes and no lol cheap white teflon that i super thin takes alot more wraps. plus different colors for different code applications, but blue and white are interchangeable. i like the blue monster because it comes in a big ass roll so i only need to buy one a year for the brewery(i do alot of plumbing). we built all of our glycol headers with the same blue tape and blue pipe dope method and had 0 leaks with glycol which is notoriously hard todo(its very very sneaky). also found that plastic threads seal extremely well.

If it is bspt, npt or ferrule, you don't need tape. Only bspp or nps should need tape

True and if it is stainless parts, a little will help prevent galling
The only time that i don't use tape/dope is when there is a compression fitting/gaskets. NPT 100% needs tape/dope if you dont want it to leak. I have done a lot of plumbing and i hate leaks. just my experience.

I use a thermometer to monitor my chilling temperature in the kettle after the boil, as I recirculate during chilling.

Back