Sauwrkraut in hot weather

Zambi

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So..
1 small batch came out fine
1 big batch did not. But I know what went wrong. At least I think so. I didn't pack it proper and not enough weight on top.
I had some mould which I removed and it didn't come back but the kraut had become mushy.
I used 2.5% salt in both batches. It was (unexpectedly) already quite warm at day time for batch 2.

Has anyone successfully made sauerkraut at fluctuating temps?
Between 10 and 35 oC (50 and 90 F).
Higher salt?
Or wait for next winter or use fermentation fridge?

I helped a friend make sauerkraut a long time ago, I was a relief pounder

So..
1 big batch did not. But I know what went wrong. At least I think so. I didn't pack it proper and not enough weight on top.
I had some mould which I removed and it didn't come back but the kraut had become mushy.
I used 2.5% salt in both batches. It was (unexpectedly) already quite warm at day time for batch 2.

Higher salt?
my last batch did this funnily enough.

well no mould but the cabbage was mushy and not nice and crisp and crunchy as per usual.

it tasted OK it was still sour just couldn't move past the mushy cabbage part.

I ditched it.

I use 2% salt.

I put it down as too Vigorous fermentation alot of the liquid pushed up out the top so it sorta dried out durin fermentation.

so i rekon next batch I'll leave more head space and not pack in as much cabbage...

I had one bite of the mushy stuff and straight away tossed it.
It may have been safe to eat but it was bad!
I set up another small batch a couple of days ago and so far so good. I'll taste it once it:s a week old or so
(The proper lid disintegrated. Ordered a new one, but this will have to do for now. The jar holds about a kg or cabbage. I used 2.2 % salt)
IMG_20240812_121002_648.jpg

Good Luck I whipped up another batch tonight
20240814_191513.jpg

a trick I use is using some of the gutter cabbage leaves as a layer on top of the kraut.

here is some Tai Style Sweet Chilli Sauce I made with some of my Bros Habeneros
it's Fing Hot but soo good I used 350g Habenero and made up another 200g with capsicum and a big wack of ginger.
20240814_192056.jpg

consistency is more of a jam than sauce
a little I've found gets a dish humming then again I'm not big on the heat but this stuff sure packs a punch :D

I do the same with a leaf of cabbage on top to try hold all them little pieces uder control.
New batch is still looking good.
So if this works out okay, then the messed up batch was due to not packing te cabbage tight enough.

Those chile sauces look awesome @GFHomebrew
I love a could chili.
I got a lime pickle going as well. I'll know the result in a week or so. It's just using lime peel that I would have thrown away otherwise

Good Luck I whipped up another batch tonight View attachment 30184
a trick I use is using some of the gutter cabbage leaves as a layer on top of the kraut.

here is some Tai Style Sweet Chilli Sauce I made with some of my Bros Habeneros
it's Fing Hot but soo good I used 350g Habenero and made up another 200g with capsicum and a big wack of ginger.
View attachment 30185

consistency is more of a jam than sauce
a little I've found gets a dish humming then again I'm not big on the heat but this stuff sure packs a punch :D
Apply sparingly.

I also like hot but not burn-your-mouth hot, I need to still taste the food. I grow jalapenos, and have a half-dozen particular hot sauces in stock, and they get used almost daily.

Hmm, hot beer? Gotta be better than warm beer...

I've made a beer with chili added...
I think it was Sylla, but not sure
And I'm sure I used chili in a ginger beer for an extra bite...

Apply sparingly.

I also like hot but not burn-your-mouth hot, I need to still taste the food. I grow jalapenos, and have a half-dozen particular hot sauces in stock, and they get used almost daily.

Hmm, hot beer? Gotta be better than warm beer...
yup I think that sauce I made would be perfect with Jalapenos.

Habenero is just a bit above my heat threshold but It's stiff Bloody good stuff on some Chicken or as I've been doing in a salad.

So..

Higher salt?

Ideally, you'd have steady temperatures in the low to mid 70Fs. I've noticed that I really like it in Florida where I have a pretty steady 74F temperature in the winter, night and day. You might get the mold and wild yeast to be more rampant at higher temperatures, and cooler can slow down the lactic acid bacteria so you can get other microbes to take hold. Try to maintain a steady temperature if you can, maybe by placing in cooler to help with the temperature swings. Insulate the vessel, and that can really help with a steady temperature.

I really pound the salt into my cabbage, with a pestle type on a wooden cutting board type of set up. I use 2.25% salt. That seems to be a good spot for me to maintain crispness and avoid unwanted microbes.

I do pack really tightly and of course use a cabbage leaf under the weight to hold it under the brine.

@Zambi What's with the plastic? Is that to hold it under the brine as a weight or something?

Ideally, you'd have steady temperatures in the low to mid 70Fs. I've noticed that I really like it in Florida where I have a pretty steady 74F temperature in the winter, night and day. You might get the mold and wild yeast to be more rampant at higher temperatures, and cooler can slow down the lactic acid bacteria so you can get other microbes to take hold. Try to maintain a steady temperature if you can, maybe by placing in cooler to help with the temperature swings. Insulate the vessel, and that can really help with a steady temperature.

I really pound the salt into my cabbage, with a pestle type on a wooden cutting board type of set up. I use 2.25% salt. That seems to be a good spot for me to maintain crispness and avoid unwanted microbes.

I do pack really tightly and of course use a cabbage leaf under the weight to hold it under the brine.

@Zambi What's with the plastic? Is that to hold it under the brine as a weight or something?
Yeah, the plastic bag contains a water salt solution to keep the cabbage down.
And no harm done in case the bag leaks

Yeah, the plastic bag contains a water salt solution to keep the cabbage down.
And no harm done in case the bag leaks
yup.i do the same thing pretty sure you pointed me in that direction :)

Back