Sanke keg retaining ring question

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I scored a couple 20 litre sanke kegs and I'm wondering if I need to put the retaining ring back after I clean and fill it or if it's just a safety thing for transport? Trying to decide if these are nicer or worse than cornies.

If it's the retaining ring that holds the spike in place, yes. Very much needed.

I think they are more of a pain for noncommercial use

I ferment in 1/4 barrel tall Sanke. I really like working with them, but they can be a pain to clean if you don’t have a keg cleaning set up.

I yanked out the spear, and gave it to a local brewery. I then made an adapter fitted with a floating pick up. Since then, More Beer and Amazon sell a similar adapter, which is much easier then making your own.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/ball-lock-adapter-tapping-head-sanke-kegs.html

I agree the Sanke with the spear is a pain, but this adapter makes much more sense for home brewers.

That's what my mind was leading too. I like the concept of using the commercial setup for compatibility but I strongly suspect it's not worth the effort. I'll probably rehome these cause I have 12 cornies and they work well and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Edit: Damn, I can get more cornies for the price of that adapter. Guess that answers my question.

Back