Proper Job Yeast...

Andrew_D

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. Does anyone know for certain whether the yeast in bottle-conditioned Proper Job is the strain used to ferment the beer, or a different yeast just used for secondary fermentation in the bottle?
If it's the fermentation yeast, I plan to culture it, otherwise I won't waste my effort.
Thanks.

most bottle conditioned beer is just done like we do it. yeast in suspension is used to carbonate it.

but I could be wrong if this is some kind of a specialty beer

I
most bottle conditioned beer is just done like we do it. yeast in suspension is used to carbonate it.

but I could be wrong if this is some kind of a specialty beer

I wouldn't call it a speciality beer, but I heard / read somewhere that some bottle-conditioned beers use a different yeast strain at the packaging stage... and I wanted to make sure I had the primary fermentation yeast. Maybe I'll just try to culture it anyway and see what happens...

Sounds a little backasswards since bottle conditioning is done with adding sugar for the yeast to make some CO2. iow; why did the brewer choose to bottle an under pitched or stalled fermentation on purpose only to knowingly have to add more yeast? Which I might add, is the most expensive component in beer making! Commercial brewers want to make money, not spend more!

While I'm not familiar with the beer, if its a micro brew source of larger AND it's not labeled as bottle conditioned, I'd assume it's not but was gassed to get carbonated. Building up a culture from bottle dregs is a lotta work and tricky...is the juice worth the squeeze?

Last edited:
Sounds a little backasswards since bottle conditioning is done with adding sugar for the yeast to make some CO2. iow; why did the brewer choose to bottle an under pitched or stalled fermentation on purpose only to knowingly have to add more yeast? Which I might add, is the most expensive component in beer making! Commercial brewers want to make money, not spend more!

While I'm not familiar with the beer, if its a micro brew source of larger AND it's not labeled as bottle conditioned, I'd assume it's not but was gassed to get carbonated. Building up a culture from bottle dregs is a lotta work and tricky...is the juice worth the squeeze?
Depends on the beer. Chimay blue barrel aged is fermented 3 times in 2 different barrels and lastly in the bottle. So it is done

Many breweries will filter their beer, also filtering out the yeast. They then add different yeast for conditioning, mostly so "their" strain doesn't get out to the public.

I

I wouldn't call it a speciality beer, but I heard / read somewhere that some bottle-conditioned beers use a different yeast strain at the packaging stage... and I wanted to make sure I had the primary fermentation yeast. Maybe I'll just try to culture it anyway and see what happens...
As Don mentioned, a reasonable number of the commercial breweries will use a different yeast for bottle conditioning. One that will only ferment very simple sugars to decrease the chances of bottle bombs. Here's a list of mainly sour breweries and whether they use a different yeast for bottle conditioning or not - https://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html.

Back