Problem with HCO3, can someone help me?

Yohkox

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good morning, first of all I apologize for my English, I'm from Spain. I'm trying to cook a Scottish Ale.

I'm having problems with the amount of HCO3 in the recipe editor, I'm showing you two images, the first one corresponds to the water calculator, once I've added the salts. In the calculator I have 135 ppm of HCO3, and then when updating, in the final recipe this amount drops to 45 ppm of HCO3. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this decrease?

If anyone knows what is the cause, could you please help me? I don't know if it's due to the use of dark malts or any other circumstance.

Thank you all very much! Greetings!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
Are you adding something to lower the pH, such as Phosphoric Acid, Lactic Acid or Acidulated Malt? I don't think dark grains would alter the bicarbonate level much. Are you adding any brewing salts to your strike water? Please post a link to your recipe if you can; and make it public. That will help us.

And welcome to the forum!

Good afternoon, thank you very much for your reply! Yes, indeed, I add salts to the mash water to adapt my water profile to the target water, in this case a Scottish Ale. In the water calculation the pH came out at 5.66, so I activated the option to add 75% phosphoric acid to reduce this pH. The fact is that in the water calculator itself this reduction of HCO3 does not appear, only in the recipe editor. I also tried removing the acids, and the result is the same, this HCO3 continues to decrease.

Thank you very much!

This is the recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1510110/scottish-export-eddlc

I'm not able to find the problem. Maybe @Pricelessbrewing or @Yooper will know why.

I did notice a couple of things in your recipe you might want to change. One is you have the Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley as late boil additions. Did you intend for them to be late mash additions? Possibly a clue to the water calculator issue: I saved your recipe and when I set them as full mash additions & saved the recipe and then, from the water calculator I clicked "Update Grist From Recipe" the HCO3 values matched. But when I could not duplicate the results when I repeated the steps.

The other item is that you are using chalk. Chalk is very difficult to get into solution so very few homebrewers use it.

1727387074195.png

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but, this isn't the first time I've been unable to figure out the water calculator. Fortunately there are smarter people than me on the forum! o_O

Back