Ph Testing and Taste

Daniel Parshley

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When in the brew process should I be testing Ph? Just got 100 strips to play with and my finished ale is below the lowest reading of 4.6. I was considering playing with Ph to see how it changed flavor profile. The strips are a bit disappointing and a meter will likely be needed if I pursue this effort. From what I have read, they say to add acid/base until you like the taste. If so, is this applied to the next batch just before bottling?

When in the brew process should I be testing Ph? Just got 100 strips to play with and my finished ale is below the lowest reading of 4.6. I was considering playing with Ph to see how it changed flavor profile. The strips are a bit disappointing and a meter will likely be needed if I pursue this effort. From what I have read, they say to add acid/base until you like the taste. If so, is this applied to the next batch just before bottling?
You want to check about 10 minutes into mash. That is where it is important. Ph effects the conversion more than anything.

Ph in the fermenter is less important.

Final ph falls into "doesn't matter" category and is a product of the whole process. Can you add acid at packaging? Sure, it will add some sour to it, but that would be the only reason.

Meters are pretty cheap these days. $30. Just make sure you get the storage solution too

You want to check about 10 minutes into mash. That is where it is important. Ph effects the conversion more than anything.

Ph in the fermenter is less important.

Final ph falls into "doesn't matter" category and is a product of the whole process. Can you add acid at packaging? Sure, it will add some sour to it, but that would be the only reason.

Meters are pretty cheap these days. $30. Just make sure you get the storage solution too

Well, that most certainly simplifies the situation. Since I only do partial mash in a pot (steep), I'll check for curiosity. So much has been written about adding baking soda and various acids to adjust taste. In the end, I think it is temperature during the first three days of the ferment that has the largest effect on flavor for a small and simple setup. Mine is definitely a KISS setup.

Well, that most certainly simplifies the situation. Since I only do partial mash in a pot (steep), I'll check for curiosity. So much has been written about adding baking soda and various acids to adjust taste. In the end, I think it is temperature during the first three days of the ferment that has the largest effect on flavor for a small and simple setup. Mine is definitely a KISS setup.
Ya ph can have an effect on mash for sure, but i really think it is something that gets you another 10% better than it was, it is not night and day.

Fermentation temp control has a much bigger effect, as you said.

Back