Old school apa

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed a classic apa this morning.
IMG_20240818_092016.jpg

Pale ale dme, crystal 20, and victory malt.
My homebrew club president is going to brew an "identical" recipe with pale ale malt and we're going to do a triangle test at next month's meeting.
I'd like to hear the result of that test.

I enjoy reading what you’ve had in zymurgy

Pale ale dme, crystal 20, and victory malt.

My homebrew club president is going to brew an "identical" recipe with pale ale malt and we're going to do a triangle test at next month's meeting.
Some thoughts:

Pale Ale DME (from Briess) tends result in beers that are "darker than expected" for many people. Product information sheets for Briess DME/LME includes a table that lists °L for various OG levels. When I added that data into my custom recipe spreadsheet, my color estimates were more accurate.

Fermentability of the worts will be different. DME is typically 75% fermentable. A wort made with base malts can be 80% (or more) fermentable depending on the mash conditions.

Steeping vs mashing of the specialty grains will have some impact on OG (maybe 2 or 3 SG difference).

Differences in mineral content between the DME and the base malt (plus flavor salt additions) will influence the flavor of the beer.

It's likely that the DME-based beer will be a little darker, have a little lower OG, a little higher FG, and a lower ABV. Minerals in the DME may be a major contributor to any flavor differences.

In the end, I suspect that two good beers with slightly differences flavor and color will be brewed (and some people will be able to detect the differences in triangle tests).

Back