Need recs for an induction/electric burner

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As I mentioned in my reintroduction post, I finally bought a home! Excited to get settled and start brewing again but I have to figure out what I'm going to cook on. In the past I brewed in the kitchen but our new kitchen is small and I don't want to take up the whole kitchen all day (also all the steam and worth residue on the walls). At my parents I've used a propane burner and it's worked well. However when I was looking at them my wife reminded me that I put up a stink about buying a gas stove (even though gas outside is different). I told her I didn't think I had a choice because electric options would cost to much. Then I looked on Amazon and found plenty of affordable options but none that could accommodate my equipment.

Ultimately electric would ease my green conscious more (I'm also looking at electric mowers and snow blowers) and the option to move into the shed or basement is appealing. So I have a 40 qt kettle with a 13.25 inch diameter. I do 5.5 gallon boils so I typically start with 6-6.5 for the boil and might be up to 7-7.5 for the mash. I'm looking for whatever is affordable that can handle the size, weight and thermal load of my boils. Also anyone who cooks in their basement if you could include whatever you use for ventilation I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Other than having to put in a new line to run that, my question would be about BIAB. Obviously you wouldn't have the element on when the bag is in but any concerns about it burning the bag?
Yes, if the bag can touch the elements, you wouldn't want it on. It will melt the bag.

Maybe a false bottom to protect it?

I use a herms recirc setup, so the boil elements aren't on during mash.

Other than having to put in a new line to run that, my question would be about BIAB. Obviously you wouldn't have the element on when the bag is in but any concerns about it burning the bag?
I use a false bottom. It doesn't fit the kettle, but it is enough to keep the bag off of the very bottom of the kettle. I have the heat on with the bag getting strike water to temp on my propane burner. I don't want to screw with putting the bag in place once I get strike water temps. I have it already in place with my office clips on the kettle. When I hit temp, I dump in the grain, cover it up, and let it do its thing. Having to mess around with the lid off gives you less control over the mash temp.

I started going the same way as Sandy, but on a standard gas stove.
I used to put the bag in filled with grain. Possible, because of my small bag size.
But this is easier

If you are wanting electric and replacing equipment anyway, go with an all in one.

If you are wanting electric and replacing equipment anyway, go with an all in one.
I'd lie if I said I haven't thought of it but still not ready to spend that much money. I've also only done like 5-6 brews with my current kettle (not that I couldn't repurpose it)

So took most of the summer but we're mostly settled in to the new place. For cost and time reasons (I'd have to put a 220 line in for most electric options) I'm thinking about just staying outside and sticking with propane. Feel like it's cheaper and easier (weather aside) and since all my yard tools, snow blower (we'll see how that goes but I'm happy with all my other Ryobi tools so far) and grill (I LOVE my grill) are all electric I feel like I don't need to have so much environmental guilt about it. I appreciate all the suggestions though. Thanks!

I'm also thinking about going with 100k BTUs for my 6-7 gallon boils. If anyone has any thoughts on that or bottle size for the propane I'd be grateful for the advice.

Back