Lagering questions

Semper Sitientum

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Now that I have the capability to control my fermentation temps., I’m going to try my hand at a pilsner and schwarzbier. In doing some research, I’ve seen advice to cool wort <60, pitch yeast, ferment at 50 until within 5 points of FG, raise to 70 for the remainder. Then, in the next breath, “the beer will improve if kept just above 32 for four weeks.“ So, my questions are:

- What will I miss/how will the beer be deficient if I follow the first advice?
- What temp should I ferment at?
- If I’m going to lager, at what point do I start reducing the fermentation temp and is there a schedule on how fast this should happen; i.e., do I reduce by a number of degrees per day?
- How long do I lager for and is there a schedule to raise the temp. before, in my case, bottling?

What yeast? If 34/70, I would pitch around 62. Lager at 55 until low krausen, D Rest at 62, and let it finish there.
Never tried it in bottles. I assume you let it carbonate around 62, and cold crash/lager once carbonated.

What will I miss/how will the beer be deficient if I follow the first advice?
Pitching at warmer temps is an option, but if you can pitch at fermentation temps, it would be better due to reduced esters. Your fermentation temps are yeast dependent. I wouldn't raise it to 70, 60F is plenty high, but it could hit 65F with no problems.
What temp should I ferment at?
The choice of yeast is the biggest consideration to temperature. If you use Fermentis 34/70 as Sandy mentioned, (IMHO it is the best lager yeast for a first lager), it doesn't do very well below 50F. It's really good in the low 50's and is even good in the low 60's. Pitch rate is another thing to consider. 2-3 packs of 34/70 in a 5 gallon, 1.050ish batch is my recommendation, leaning more toward 3 packs at lower temps. Hydrating the yeast in some bottled water prior to pitch will improve the lag phase time.
If I’m going to lager, at what point do I start reducing the fermentation temp and is there a schedule on how fast this should happen; i.e., do I reduce by a number of degrees per day?
Let the beer finish completely after a d-rest, no need to slowly drop the temp during or after fermentation. Once it's done, crash cool it to as close to 32F that you dare. The fast cooling drops yeast and 32F will clear the beer quicker. Try to keep the beer from sucking back in the airlock if you can. Crashing cooling works best under pressure, but do your best to keep oxygen out.
How long do I lager for and is there a schedule to raise the temp. before, in my case, bottling?
Bottling is tricky with a lager, you may want to let the beer finish (d-rest and all), bottle it, keep it at room temp until it's fully carb'd and then crash cool it and lager it in the bottle. Lagering can take place in a fermenter, keg or bottle.

Good luck! My favorite beers to brew and compete with are lagers.

Pitching at warmer temps is an option, but if you can pitch at fermentation temps, it would be better due to reduced esters. Your fermentation temps are yeast dependent. I wouldn't raise it to 70, 60F is plenty high, but it could hit 65F with no problems.

The choice of yeast is the biggest consideration to temperature. If you use Fermentis 34/70 as Sandy mentioned, (IMHO it is the best lager yeast for a first lager), it doesn't do very well below 50F. It's really good in the low 50's and is even good in the low 60's. Pitch rate is another thing to consider. 2-3 packs of 34/70 in a 5 gallon, 1.050ish batch is my recommendation, leaning more toward 3 packs at lower temps. Hydrating the yeast in some bottled water prior to pitch will improve the lag phase time.

Let the beer finish completely after a d-rest, no need to slowly drop the temp during or after fermentation. Once it's done, crash cool it to as close to 32F that you dare. The fast cooling drops yeast and 32F will clear the beer quicker. Try to keep the beer from sucking back in the airlock if you can. Crashing cooling works best under pressure, but do your best to keep oxygen out.

Bottling is tricky with a lager, you may want to let the beer finish (d-rest and all), bottle it, keep it at room temp until it's fully carb'd and then crash cool it and lager it in the bottle. Lagering can take place in a fermenter, keg or bottle.

Good luck! My favorite beers to brew and compete with are lagers.
Nothing more to say. That is pretty much how it's done

Back