Kvas Cross Contamination / Fermenter

JWR_12

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Rank beginner here again. So I just gave in and bought myself a stainless steel fermenter (7 gallon). Meanwhile, on a separate track, I'm thinking about brewing some Kvas. It's basically a very lightly fermented drink made out of bread.

So here's the question: if I brew Kvas in my stainless steel fermenter, is it ruined forever for beer? Will I only be able to make sour beers in it? Etc. I'm assuming it's possible to clean it (maybe trading the rubber seals) but I'm curious is that's crazy talk and it's better to not cross the streams on this one.

Full disclosure: One reason I want to brew Kvas in the fermenter is I have a social occasion coming up where it would be good to serve something fun but non alcoholic.

Thanks for any insight!

I think stainless steel can clean very very good, his surface is like mirror.
Not sure what will work for you more experience fellows will help you sure here but my opinion is it's going to be ok with a good cleaning

What yeast are you using?

Hi all. Rank beginner here again. So I just gave in and bought myself a stainless steel fermenter (7 gallon). Meanwhile, on a separate track, I'm thinking about brewing some Kvas. It's basically a very lightly fermented drink made out of bread.

So here's the question: if I brew Kvas in my stainless steel fermenter, is it ruined forever for beer? Will I only be able to make sour beers in it? Etc. I'm assuming it's possible to clean it (maybe trading the rubber seals) but I'm curious is that's crazy talk and it's better to not cross the streams on this one.

Full disclosure: One reason I want to brew Kvas in the fermenter is I have a social occasion coming up where it would be good to serve something fun but non alcoholic.

Thanks for any insight!
Two data points:
I once used a Diastaticus yeast (look it up) and was able to clean it from the stainless with some effort. No lasting harm.

A local brewery makes sours. If they brew an IPA in a fermenter that had a sour in it, the IPA is sour. Just a little, but obvious. They try to avoid that, not always successful.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there are some questions involved, which already helps me out.

Two data points:
I once used a Diastaticus yeast (look it up) and was able to clean it from the stainless with some effort. No lasting harm.

A local brewery makes sours. If they brew an IPA in a fermenter that had a sour in it, the IPA is sour. Just a little, but obvious. They try to avoid that, not always successful.
We have a brewery that does some brett sours. Everything they use brett on is dedicated, for just this reason

I'm not sure, but I figure boiling water, with chlorine maybe, should do the trick since it is a stainless fermenter

I'm not sure, but I figure boiling water, with chlorine maybe, should do the trick since it is a stainless fermenter
No chlorine in stainless. You will have to passivate it again

Could you use acetic acid (distilled vinegar)?
Just realised I made sauerkraut in my stainless fermenter and I may have to do a thorough clean before using it for beer

Back