Kolsch experiment

Mashmellow

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was considering taking my Kolsch recipe and experimenting by substituting Lallemand's NovaLager yeast. Although a bottom fermenter, it’s a hybrid cross of both ale and lager strains (Saccharomyces cerevisiae x Saccharomyces eubayanus). It purportedly has low VDK/diacetyl and produces no hydrogen sulfide off flavors and can ferment down to 50º F. Seems like maybe a cross of Helles and a Kolsch, but should be really clean. Is this just overthinking and dumb?

I was considering taking my Kolsch recipe and experimenting by substituting Lallemand's NovaLager yeast. Although a bottom fermenter, it’s a hybrid cross of both ale and lager strains (Saccharomyces cerevisiae x Saccharomyces eubayanus). It purportedly has low VDK/diacetyl and produces no hydrogen sulfide off flavors and can ferment down to 50º F. Seems like maybe a cross of Helles and a Kolsch, but should be really clean. Is this just overthinking and dumb?
I love experimenting. I made an english stout with Belgian strong ale yeast just to see what it would do.

Interesting that you state Helles and Kolsch.
They are actually almost identical except for the yeast.
I'd stick with Kolsch yeast for a Kolsch and lager yeast for a Helles.
Otherwise you just have a clean beer, but not to style
Obviously it's your beer, do whatever.
Let us know

I think it's a great idea. Depending on who you listen to, a Kolsch is only slightly fruity. I prefer them clean, but the slight hint of fruit can be kind of nice sometimes. Try it and see what happens.

I think an International Lager is closer to a Kolsch than a Helles. Malt, hop aroma and bitterness are all very similar.

It was different, lol. Alot less mouth feel, was still a stout, but with fruity esters.
Did you get something close to a Dubbel without the plum?

What's an international lager?
Something like Heineken, Steinlager, Kingfisher, Tusker?

Back