Japanese ‘Cascade’ Pellet Hops: Alpha Acids

JWR_12

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi —

So a friend of mine went to Japan and, as a present, bought me some hops. They’re pellet type. He ended up buying me a lot — a kilogram!

It’s been great playing around with them, but the bag wasn’t labeled and what label there was wasn’t very informative. In Japanese, it says (apparently) ‘Cascade’. But there are no alpha acid scores, etc. So it’s proven a bit hard to gauge how many IBUs they contribute.

Experimentation has shown that although the recipe engine here scales ‘Cascade’ (generically) at around 7 AA, when I use hops as if for that I get really bitter beer. So I’m figuring the AA is higher than that by a bit. I’m gradually getting used to brewing with them (having made a few very bitter beers), so I’m getting an idea by trial and error.

That said, does anyone know anything about the hop trade in Japan? Do they tend to have strong pellets or something? I’m guessing it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that my friend bought US hops in Japan (like Oregon hops packaged for Japanese sale). But any insight into this I’d much appreciate.

Thanks,

John

Back