Is the beer wort infected?

Brewer #433632

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Please check my beer, is this a normal beer head during fermentation or is it contaminated? Fermentation 7 days by Mangrove Jack's "US West Coast M44" yeast. Brown-colored foam and bubbles look like some kind of pellicle

Attachments

• I020240723.jpg
    I020240723.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 14
  • I20240723.jpg
    I20240723.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16
  • I202407236.jpg
    I202407236.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 16
Ohhhh
I do not like the way that looks!
I think it is infected.
I do not normally open my fermenter to check, so please wait for some of the others to chime in

Doesn't look good

my guess is that is a dark beer that had a lot of proteins come over mixed with active/slowing down fermentation.

In my experience pellicles look a little different then that but i could be wrong.

As others have said, try very hard not to open the fermenter. That is a very quick and simple way to guarantee that it is infected. Unless you can maintain positive pressure(even then we try to minimize the time that it is open).

There is no harm in letting it complete fermentation and tasting it.

It doesn't look infected but it doesn't look not infected either. How's that for a non-committal unhelpful answer? :)
Actually I phrased it that way because I'd hate to have you dump a good beer because it may be infected. Unless there are definite signs of infection, or you really need the fermenter for the next batch, just let it ride and see what it tastes and smells like after fermentation is complete.

Definitely wait until fermentation is completed and then taste it. If it tastes off, or sour, it is likely infected.
As others have said, leave the fermenter closed, no peaking, the yeast will do their work without you checking on them!

There’s no way of accurately assessing if the beer is infected based on krausen alone. As others said previously, taste it when it’s done.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I needed to open the fermenter was to dry hop . The first time I didn't do this, but today I opened it again and it looked prety normal, the foam went down. The smell of yeast is pleasant, I added hops and closed it. I think hope the beer is fine. Also i got pic from enother forum sended to me as a replay, it looks very similar as mine and they sad there wos fine beer. So i wiil keep updateed

Attachments

• 3816660.jpg
    3816660.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 11
Great news.
I never even considered a brown ale so the colour threw me off

It looked in the range of normal to me. A pellicle usually is a less-frothy layer completely covering the liquid. Slimy bubbles are not unusual in a normal fermentation.

It looked in the range of normal to me. A pellicle usually is a less-frothy layer completely covering the liquid. Slimy bubbles are not unusual in a normal fermentation.
i have seen some funky ass pellicals. Different colors sometimes, but usually a fuzzy white.

Back